New dual sport/adventure rider**** | GTAMotorcycle.com

New dual sport/adventure rider****

ptp84

Hi everyone!

Hope the season is off to a great start for all the riders here.

So, a couple weeks ago I cut my insurance off my yamaha r6 and turned it into a full on track bike. This left me needing a new street bike. I always wanted to get into trail riding and wanted a much more comfortable ride as I plan on riding Cabot trail and the east coast in August.

Anyways, I ended up buying a BMW F650gs and absolutely love it so far. My issue is that I have no one to ride with or talk adventure/dual sport with as I know track day/ss riders.

Anyone want to go for a ride? Show me the ropes in terms of off road and want someone tagging along this season?

Just bought a KLX250s and am looking for the same thing - total noob here though so there will be no showing of the ropes :p

I'd like to check out Ganaraska Forest at some point if anyone is interested

Last edited:
OP - head up to the Forks - I think there were 1/2 dozen Vstroms alone plus a few other dualies. Lots of time to chat and some dirt roads to play on.

I took ptp84 out with me a few other guys last Saturday for a ride from orangeville to Creemore via varying routes and trails - despite being a total newbie and riding on inappropriate tires for the terrain, he kicked *** and I'm pretty sure he's totally hooked on this dual sporting. I'm planning to ride again this coming week during the week - newbies are totally welcome and we ride in a pace that works for everyone with me so have no fear of getting left behind (I'm pretty slow anyhow). I live in Toronto but ride or trailer up to the beginning of good riding areas: Bethany, Ganaraska, Hockley Valley, Creemore, etc and sometimes when time is truly limited, I have found some short but good and challenging trails as near as Kleinberg (hwy 27 north of major Mackenzie). Anyone who is interested in joining us, shoot me an email: alongat.gat@gmail.com and I'll set up ad-his and semi-organized rides in addition to advrider.com rides, odsc.on.ca rides, oftr.ca rides, etc.

Hi everyone!

Hope the season is off to a great start for all the riders here.

So, a couple weeks ago I cut my insurance off my yamaha r6 and turned it into a full on track bike. This left me needing a new street bike. I always wanted to get into trail riding and wanted a much more comfortable ride as I plan on riding Cabot trail and the east coast in August.

Anyways, I ended up buying a BMW F650gs and absolutely love it so far. My issue is that I have no one to ride with or talk adventure/dual sport with as I know track day/ss riders.

Anyone want to go for a ride? Show me the ropes in terms of off road and want someone tagging along this season?
Great choice. I've been wanting one of those forever... I don't think you'll have much luck on here but check out adv rider forums they got tons of people who can show you the ropes of riding off road

There is a small group of us that get out together, rides are always an open invite. Last weekend we rode a mostly gravel route from Brampton to Creemore and back, fun day.
Last time we did Old Nippising Road from Rosseau to Powassan, lots of fast gravel, which broke down to an atv trail further north. Everyone made it and home again. That was one of the most fun days I've had on a bike in a while.
Keep an eye on the ride threads, "Motorcyle Mike" or "Demonpig" both usually post and lead great rides.

There is a small group of us that get out together, rides are always an open invite. Last weekend we rode a mostly gravel route from Brampton to Creemore and back, fun day.
Last time we did Old Nippising Road from Rosseau to Powassan, lots of fast gravel, which broke down to an atv trail further north. Everyone made it and home again. That was one of the most fun days I've had on a bike in a while.
Keep an eye on the ride threads, "Motorcyle Mike" or "Demonpig" both usually post and lead great rides.

And I missed it! .... ;(

*Le Sigh*

And I missed it! .... ;(

*Le Sigh*

Don't worry, we all missed you. It's always good fun seeing that 690 take a dirt nap. Lol
Hopefully your bike is up again soon, we're gonna do it at least once more.

Speaking of which, I am in the planning stages of an epic gravel run as a season ender... I am thinking of about 600 to 700km of mostly gravel, some rail trail, some wicked logging roads, up towards Bon Echo, and back running some of the Bethany Big Bike run at the end. Would probably end up returning in the dark.

I'll post it when I have the route better organized. Should be big bike friendly, but preferable to have dual sport tires for the gravel -- unless you know what you are doing with gravel and street tires.

Speaking of which, I am in the planning stages of an epic gravel run as a season ender... I am thinking of about 600 to 700km of mostly gravel, some rail trail, some wicked logging roads, up towards Bon Echo, and back running some of the Bethany Big Bike run at the end. Would probably end up returning in the dark.

I'll post it when I have the route better organized. Should be big bike friendly, but preferable to have dual sport tires for the gravel -- unless you know what you are doing with gravel and street tires.

Thanks Mike for showing me Bethany last year, I went back to yesterday and went through a bunch of the trails and had a ton of fun. All the mud/gravel/rocks I wanted to try out with the new tires. The unmaintained roads were more challenging but I didn't drop the bike this time.

I would guess you guys are going on a weekend, but if it's a weekday I'd be there for sure.

Thanks Mike for showing me Bethany last year, I went back to yesterday and went through a bunch of the trails and had a ton of fun. All the mud/gravel/rocks I wanted to try out with the new tires. The unmaintained roads were more challenging but I didn't drop the bike this time.

I would guess you guys are going on a weekend, but if it's a weekday I'd be there for sure.

I might pre (or post) ride at least part of it depending on the weather around October 8th or 9th as I have that week off work.

Phil - we are looking to ride on Wednesday. Off road, probably just the last ride you joined me on. You coming? We've got another newbie joining potentially...

Back
Top Bottom