Waiting for pedestrians to cross entire road before proceeding? | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Waiting for pedestrians to cross entire road before proceeding?

Jaywalking laws? In Canada, you can't cross at a crosswalk disobeying the light, but it's not illegal to walk on the rest of the roadway (unlike the USA, where it is).

Actually it is, under certain circumstances. I posted this earlier in the thread:

Pedestrian crossing

(22) Where portions of a roadway are marked for pedestrian use, no pedestrian shall cross the roadway except within a portion so marked. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 144 (22).

Actually it is, under certain circumstances. I posted this earlier in the thread:

Pedestrian crossing

(22) Where portions of a roadway are marked for pedestrian use, no pedestrian shall cross the roadway except within a portion so marked. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 144 (22).

Only where it's marked. If you're crossing at an intersection, then you cross on the marked bits, not between stopped cars. If you're 50 yards (arbitrary) away though, it's not. Kind of a weird situation, what's the distance definition of "portions of a roadway"?

Only where it's marked. If you're crossing at an intersection, then you cross on the marked bits, not between stopped cars. If you're 50 yards (arbitrary) away though, it's not. Kind of a weird situation, what's the distance definition of "portions of a roadway"?

That would be explained by the "portions so marked." The other issue that you raise is an interesting one, as nowhere in my previous searches have I been able to find a reference to a distance from such a "marked portion." This would tend to imply a test of reasonableness, in a situation. For example I suspect that all of the people who pour out of the doors to Brookefield Place just perhaps 50 feet north of Yonge and Front, then leap straight into traffic to cross Yonge, would be fair game under 144.22.

Lots of media attention to this now that it will be in place next week.. And school starts soon

Pedestrian crossing

Is there a "putting yourself in danger" regulation that could apply?

Is there a "putting yourself in danger" regulation that could apply?

Duty of pedestrian

(4) No pedestrian shall leave the curb or other place of safety at a pedestrian crossover and walk, run or move into the path of a vehicle that is so close that it is impracticable for the driver of the vehicle to comply with subsection (1).

Duty of pedestrian

(4) No pedestrian shall leave the curb or other place of safety at a pedestrian crossover and walk, run or move into the path of a vehicle that is so close that it is impracticable for the driver of the vehicle to comply with subsection (1).

ahahahahahaha...hahahahahahaha....hahahahaha...ha

Cold day in hell when that happens around Toronto. Granted, in their defense they never saw the vehicle coming (so they could gauge), since that would involve turning their head and/or looking away from their smartphone.

As a point of interest, this law is being completely ignored in Toronto. It pretty much has to be, or there would be permanent gridlock.
From the driver's handbook. Pedestrian crossovers (also commonly called crosswalks) are designated areas that allow pedestrians to safely cross roads where there are no traffic lights.

Last edited:
ahahahahahaha...hahahahahahaha....hahahahaha...ha

Cold day in hell when that happens around Toronto. Granted, in their defense they never saw the vehicle coming (so they could gauge), since that would involve turning their head and/or looking away from their smartphone.

When you don't look, you can't see. Something like the two idiots who walked out from behind construction hoardings and into the road, wearing dark clothing, at 5:45am today, just 50 feet from the nearest signals, in front of my car.

Duty of pedestrian

Way back when I was a teen, there were thousands charges laid for this per day.

At least that's what I heard, when I had to attend a remedial class to avoid paying a fine.

It didn't seem to stem the tide. I'm not sure how it is now.

Back then you could walk up to a crosswalk, stick out you arm, and all of the cars would slam on the brakes.

When you don't look, you can't see. Something like the two idiots who walked out from behind construction hoardings and into the road, wearing dark clothing, at 5:45am today, just 50 feet from the nearest signals, in front of my car.

I've come close 3 times in Scarborough this summer...twice in the car, and once on the bike. In all cases, someone walking slowly across the road at night, dressed completely in black (black jeans, black shoes, black hoodie), typically where it is complete shadow or no street lights. They also don't move quicker when they see you coming...they just continue at zombie pace.

I've come close 3 times in Scarborough this summer...twice in the car, and once on the bike. In all cases, someone walking slowly across the road at night, dressed completely in black (black jeans, black shoes, black hoodie), typically where it is complete shadow or no street lights. They also don't move quicker when they see you coming...they just continue at zombie pace.

Well it's your fault if you hit them. That makes them invulnerable, right?

I was thinking the same. In the downtown core pedestrians constantly ignore the 'don't walk' warning and cross with mere seconds left on the countdown, start crossing before the light has changed in their favour, and start crossing when turning traffic has an advanced green. If this new law is enforced as implied, then the core will grind to a halt.

I keep asking myself why the power-that-be aren't bothering to enforce the laws that apply to these pedestrians, but are instead putting all of the onus on drivers?

[video=youtube;Fg5Dnb76SMA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg5Dnb76SMA&feature=youtu.be[/video]

The powers that be are obviously not people that should be the powers that be...
So who are you voting for in the fall?

"If i was educated, I'd be a damn fool"

The powers that be are obviously not people that should be the powers that be...

Is Rob Ford running?

Oh, and that guy looks drunk, stoned, or out of it.
They do that sometimes.
Not sure if they want some time in the hospital or what.

I was voting Liberal. Then Trudeau came out in favour of C51, tried to bring Eve Adams into the fold, and my local candidate stuck an election sign on my lawn without my leave. Now I'm wondering if there's still time to put myself on the ballot.

There are already too many people on the ballot that think they know it all ;)

So now that we're close to this coming into effect, and the increased media coverage, has there been any definitive clarification on whether this applies to street light crossings yet?

I had a cop yesterday tell me that it's only pedestrian and school crossings. Of course that's not the official word either.

Unfortunately, there seems to be some intentional confusion that the politicians have embedded in the law.

The incidents that started the ball rolling were in intersections, but this doesn't seem to cover them; maybe later?

Anyways, I'm not sure what will happen if said pedestrian, simply steps into the crosswalk without pointing or signalling the lights and you, on the other side of perhaps six lanes, run through because you didn't have enough warning that they would cross.

Back
Top Bottom