Waiting for pedestrians to cross entire road before proceeding? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Waiting for pedestrians to cross entire road before proceeding?

Think of what it's like for her trying to cross while getting buzzed by impatient traffic.

[video=youtube;TQxcV4lu-a4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQxcV4lu-a4[/video]

If my car breaks down on the 401 and a tow truck stops to tow my car, I do hope people move over or slow down while he is on his knees hooking my car up, I am not associated or even know a single tow truck driver
That has to be a mistake by the article's writer.

There was serious talk about including tow trucks in with the current "move-over" law that requires you to move over a lane or slow when approaching police stopped with their roof lights on. That's what I would bet this is all about, having to move-over for tow trucks stopped on the shoulder with amber beacons going.

There is no way that tow trucks with amber lights would ever gain the same benefits as the red or red/blue beacons enjoy, unless the law was to change to permit them to show red lights on top.

If my car breaks down on the 401 and a tow truck stops to tow my car, I do hope people move over or slow down while he is on his knees hooking my car up, I am not associated or even know a single tow truck driver

For me that goes without saying. I have no issue with the move-over law being expanded to include tow trucks working on or hooking up to a break-down or crash vehicle. That's different from the OP's original belief that the law was somehow changing to require people to pull over and yield to a tow truck with flashing lights coming up behind them, which is clearly absurd.

Well, let's think about this and paint the scenario since I haven't actually thought about it:
Accident on the 401 at 430pm on a Monday, Ambulance made it there, fire truck made it there and the police made it there, two lanes blocked and the lanes will continue to be blocked until the tow trucks get there and remove the cars involved in the accident; the tow trucks are stuck in traffic a couple of KM back, wouldn't you want them to get there ASAP if you are stuck in that traffic?

Are they allowed to ride the shoulder when they are called by the police? if the answer is yes, wouldn't it be safer if there was a law that forced people to get out of their way?

Just something to think about, i do not know the answer.

For me that goes without saying. I have no issue with the move-over law being expanded to include tow trucks working on or hooking up to a break-down or crash vehicle. That's different from the OP's original belief that the law was somehow changing to require people to pull over and yield to a tow truck with flashing lights coming up behind them, which is clearly absurd.

Well, let's think about this and paint the scenario since I haven't actually thought about it:
Accident on the 401 at 430pm on a Monday, Ambulance made it there, fire truck made it there and the police made it there, two lanes blocked and the lanes will continue to be blocked until the tow trucks get there and remove the cars involved in the accident; the tow trucks are stuck in traffic a couple of KM back, wouldn't you want them to get there ASAP if you are stuck in that traffic?

Are they allowed to ride the shoulder when they are called by the police? if the answer is yes, wouldn't it be safer if there was a law that forced people to get out of their way?

I remember this crash from years ago when I was living in the area. http://www.mississauga.com/news-sto...later-tow-trucks-refuse-to-put-on-the-breaks/

Do you really you want vultures to be given right-of-way over other traffic same as ambulance, fire, police? Do we give those tow trucks red flashing lights on the roof and all the baggage that comes with that? They are already bad enough with just the ambers.

Nine times out of ten there's already a tow truck there before emergency services arrive.

Haha.. I did that once when I first came here.. I didn't realise tow trucks could have as many lights as a ******* Christmas tree... I thought it was some other emergency vehicle as they approached me from behind.

Or put EMS personnel on tow trucks, since they are always there first!

Rob, the unfortunate part about commuting daily on the 401 is that I get to experience stupid accidents all the time and my observation is not the same as yours.

Again, I am not advocating for tow trucks, but whenever I see a tow truck stopped in a dangerous spot on the HWY is behind (protecting) a vehicle and not in front, so regardless of the reason why they do it they should have some kind of concession.

Are they side road robbers? yes the same as any other kind of "emergency" service since you need it now and you got no choice, but at the end they do get the general public out of dangerous situations.
So now, shouldnt we have tow trucks all get some kind of first aid? :O

Rob, the unfortunate part about commuting daily on the 401 is that I get to experience stupid accidents all the time and my observation is not the same as yours.

Again, I am not advocating for tow trucks, but whenever I see a tow truck stopped in a dangerous spot on the HWY is behind (protecting) a vehicle and not in front, so regardless of the reason why they do it they should have some kind of concession.

Are they side road robbers? yes the same as any other kind of "emergency" service since you need it now and you got no choice, but at the end they do get the general public out of dangerous situations.

Sorry, one of us is missing something here. Where did I say that they shouldn't be given the same latitude? In fact my comment that states I usually seem them arrive on-scene before emergency services implies that they should.

Where did I say that you said that? The only line on my post addressed to you was the second one.
Sorry, one of us is missing something here. Where did I say that they shouldn't be given the same latitude? In fact my comment that states I usually seem them arrive on-scene before emergency services implies that they should.

I remember this crash from years ago when I was living in the area. http://www.mississauga.com/news-sto...later-tow-trucks-refuse-to-put-on-the-breaks/

Do you really you want vultures to be given right-of-way over other traffic same as ambulance, fire, police? Do we give those tow trucks red flashing lights on the roof and all the baggage that comes with that? They are already bad enough with just the ambers.
Posting an article where a kid got struck honestly does very little to your point, maybe because that is what every politician does every time they want to pass a law

Think-of-the-children.jpg

Posting an article where a kid got struck honestly does very little to your point, maybe because that is what every politician does every time they want to pass a law

Think-of-the-children.jpg

Like it or not, someone does need to think about the other users of our transportation system, children or otherwise.

The big difference between a tow truck and a first responder is that the first responder is dispatched under controlled conditions.

Tow trucks hear of a collision and race to the site, not knowing the details. First come, first to collect. There's no third place prize in a two car wreck.

What happens when they start to cross against the light?

I've had major issues making a left turn downtown,
because pedestrians don't believe that red means I can go, and they can't.

Especially, when it's one way to one way.

As was mentioned earlier, it doesn't apply to intersections.

And, as mentioned earlier, that may be an incorrect interpretation that's not supported by the actual wording of the law.

The Highway Traffic Act differentiates between a "pedestrian crossover" and any other place where a pedestrian may cross.

The new law MAY apply to pedestrian crossovers if the crossover is at an intersection, but crossovers require specific signage to be considered a "pedestrian crossover" for purposes of that change in the law.

It starts with the definition of a pedestrian crossover in the Highway Traffic Act.
"“pedestrian crossover” means any portion of a roadway, designated by by-law of a municipality, at an intersection or elsewhere, distinctly indicated for pedestrian crossing by signs on the highway and lines or other markings on the surface of the roadway as prescribed by the regulations; (“passage pour piétons”)"

The Highway Traffic Act specifically calls out "pedestrian crossover" in the changes to the law.
Pedestrian crossover
Duties of driver
(1) When a pedestrian is crossing on the roadway within a pedestrian crossover, the driver of a vehicle approaching the crossover,
(a) shall stop before entering the crossover;
(b) shall not overtake another vehicle already stopped at the crossover; and
(c) shall not proceed into the crossover until the pedestrian is no longer on the roadway. 2015, c. 14, s. 39 (1).

This is different from pedestrians crossing at an ordinary crosswalk at an ordinary intersection, where there is no duty stipulated to not continue until the pedestrian is completely off the road.
Yielding to pedestrians
(7) When under this section a driver is permitted to proceed, the driver shall yield the right of way to pedestrians lawfully within a crosswalk. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 144 (7).

The signage referred that makes a crosswalk a "pedestrian crossover" subject to the new law can be found in the "Signs" regulation under Pedestrian Crossover. http://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/900615#BK5
image030.jpg
image031.jpg
image032.jpg
image036.jpg

If it doesn't have the required signage, it is not a pedestrian crossover that requires you to stop until the pedestrian is completely clear of the road. It is merely a crosswalk, a different animal, that only requires you to yield and not interfere with the pedestrian after which you may continue once the pedestrian has cleared your path of intended travel.

To clarify my original posting earlier in the thread, I heard on AM640, during a brief interview with TPS PC Clinton Stibbie, who said intersections are not considered pedestrian crossovers; he said it applies pedestrian specific crossings.

The Highway Traffic Act differentiates between a "pedestrian crossover" and any other place where a pedestrian may cross.

The new law MAY apply to pedestrian crossovers if the crossover is at an intersection, but crossovers require specific signage to be considered a "pedestrian crossover" for purposes of that change in the law.

It starts with the definition of a pedestrian crossover in the Highway Traffic Act.
"“pedestrian crossover” means any portion of a roadway, designated by by-law of a municipality, at an intersection or elsewhere, distinctly indicated for pedestrian crossing by signs on the highway and lines or other markings on the surface of the roadway as prescribed by the regulations; (“passage pour piétons”)"

The Highway Traffic Act specifically calls out "pedestrian crossover" in the changes to the law.
Pedestrian crossover
Duties of driver
(1) When a pedestrian is crossing on the roadway within a pedestrian crossover, the driver of a vehicle approaching the crossover,
(a) shall stop before entering the crossover;
(b) shall not overtake another vehicle already stopped at the crossover; and
(c) shall not proceed into the crossover until the pedestrian is no longer on the roadway. 2015, c. 14, s. 39 (1).

This is different from pedestrians crossing at an ordinary crosswalk at an ordinary intersection, where there is no duty stipulated to not continue until the pedestrian is completely off the road.
Yielding to pedestrians
(7) When under this section a driver is permitted to proceed, the driver shall yield the right of way to pedestrians lawfully within a crosswalk. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 144 (7).

The signage referred that makes a crosswalk a "pedestrian crossover" subject to the new law can be found in the "Signs" regulation under Pedestrian Crossover. http://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/900615#BK5
image030.jpg
image031.jpg
image032.jpg
image036.jpg

If it doesn't have the required signage, it is not a pedestrian crossover that requires you to stop until the pedestrian is completely clear of the road. It is merely a crosswalk, a different animal, that only requires you to yield and not interfere with the pedestrian after which you may continue once the pedestrian has cleared your path of intended travel.

The act on signage is immaterial, as the changes are to the HTA. I've already posted the definition straight from the HTA, that staes what is considered a "pedestrian crossover." If they don't change the definitions in Highway Traffic Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, which is what the changes are being made to, then it will apply to all crossings that meet the stated definition.

The act on signage is immaterial, as the changes are to the HTA. I've already posted the definition straight from the HTA, that staes what is considered a "pedestrian crossover." If they don't change the definitions in Highway Traffic Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, which is what the changes are being made to, then it will apply to all crossings that meet the stated definition.

The changes to the HTA refers to a specific type of crosswalk specifically referred to and specifically defined in the HTA as a "pedestrian crossover", which is different from an ordinary "crosswalk" as also specifically referred to and defined in the HTA.

If the signage is not there for a given crosswalk, that crosswalk does not meet the stated definition of a pedestrian crossover to which the new legislation refers, period.

Back
Top Bottom