Flipping Pirelli slicks | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Flipping Pirelli slicks

Who decides what the design limit of a tire is? There is no specification that X tire will last XX laps. They work until they are no longer able to provide the grip you require.
Can you provide any references to on-track tire delamination? Excluding Daytona and PI of course....

The design limit of a tire is generally made by the manufacturer.
If you have a question about how close you are, ask the tire tech at the track ?
I cannot provide any specific reference to delamination in the last 20 years or so because I haven't seen anyone do it.
Go ahead, put one on backwards and then you can tell me how it worked out.
They put an arrow on them for a reason...

A Dunlop KR451 slick has an arrow that points both directions.

But whatever...

6479554e3e2db4eeedb48e7c43bde177.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A Dunlop KR451 slick has an arrow that points both directions.

But whatever...

6479554e3e2db4eeedb48e7c43bde177.jpg

Fair enough - if the manufacturer says its okay, then its okay...
The original post was about Pirelli tires, and I don't believe they offer that option ?

The design limit of a tire is generally made by the manufacturer.
If you have a question about how close you are, ask the tire tech at the track ?
I cannot provide any specific reference to delamination in the last 20 years or so because I haven't seen anyone do it.
Go ahead, put one on backwards and then you can tell me how it worked out.
They put an arrow on them for a reason...

I'll do it. Arrows are for wimps.

Its germane only in that it is an example of what can happen if you try to extend the service life of a tire past its design limits.
Flipping them around, and/or running them through too may heat cycles can increase the risk of failure and subsequent 'personal' issues.
I doubt sincerely the tire manufacturers do it just to sell you more stuff.
Disclaimer: I am in no way associated with anyone involved in the motorcycle race tire business...

This sounds like a statement made from ignorance. Some of us have actually flipped tires and done reasonably well, and some even in competition. Heat cycles don't necessarily determine the life of the tires, grip does.

I have flipped tires for myself and friends, front and rear. Have done it for Pirelli's, Bridgestone's, Dunlops, etc. First time I did it I called Bridgestone Canada and spoke with one of there engineers. He said to flip the tires, front and back, it should be fine for a couple lapping days. He wouldn't do it for more than a couple days, but it should be fine. A couple of extra track days out of a set of tires sounds reasonable. If you want to push your luck, just keep in mind that if a tire fails, the damage to the bike will probably be more than the cost difference of a bit more time on old tires.

I've flipped Pirelli Diablo Superbike pro's front and back with no issues, almost flipped my current set but the tearing has finished them. However, I remember seeing pics a while back of a different tire brand that got destroyed within a few laps at the track by flipping them i.e running them backwards...

This sounds like a statement made from ignorance. Some of us have actually flipped tires and done reasonably well, and some even in competition. Heat cycles don't necessarily determine the life of the tires, grip does.

Hardly from ignorance - from experience, witness and discussion with tire engineers.
Heat cycling does determine tire life because heat cycling ultimately compromises grip and longevity.
If you've got away with it, good on you, but as has been stated farther along in the thread, the consequences can cost a lot more than a fresh tire.

So in closing, most people have flipped most brands of tires with no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let's see a show of hands of whose tires have heat cycled out before they were worn out. I'm talking about real race tires not those Pirelli pucks or street dot's.

TK4, you've had a race tire come apart from being flipped?

(hand)

Sometimes it takes only 1 heat cycle for me to notice a change.

:brave:

(hand)

Sometimes it takes only 1 heat cycle for me to notice a change.

:brave:

I forgot about you on here or I would have said "except eel"! Lol, and Jim, he doesn't count either.

TK4, you've had a race tire come apart from being flipped?

I've seen delamination from where the butt splice overlaps when installed reverse - it usually shows up as a split line across the face of the working surface.
Admittedly, I don't know much about the newer Kevlar belted Dunlops, but I expect the nature of the belt construction is what allows the dual direction installation.

I forgot about you on here or I would have said "except eel"! Lol, and Jim, he doesn't count either.

I can count!!!! but only to 9 1/4

and yes, im a flipper. especially at track days and fri practice.

Back
Top Bottom