Is ramping illegal? | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is ramping illegal?

What if you're coming off a blind off ramp and there is traffic backed up. That's been a common scenario that I've come across.

Then, presumably, you should have been paying attention to the caution speed. I've yet to run into a situation like that in which I was hugely surprised, because of the statements made in my previous posts. It may well happen one day, but it hasn't yet. My issues have been more with people cutting me off and then nailing their brakes.

I still haven't thought of any scenarios where upsetting the suspension twice,
will give me an big edge over setting an appropriate entry speed on the street.

You don't gain any traction. It will allow you to go faster without dragging a peg,
but you won't come anywhere near a peg at an appropriate speed anyway.

Maybe if you're doing a very sharp steep uphill turn, it might allow you to keep ahead of traffic,
but how many ramps are like that?

And if you slow down enough, you may need to hang off the other side, or you'll fall.
You're wrong. Hopefully, never dead wrong.

Can I hang off, yes. Do I hang off on the street? No.

Slow in, look, everything's clear, fast out.

Saying it reduces risk, is like people saying they need loud pipes, or high beams on. i.e. Just an excuse for their behaviour.

What if you're coming off a blind off ramp and there is traffic backed up. That's been a common scenario that I've come across.

You answered your own question earlier...

Not taking a blind ramp at a speed which doesn't allow you to stop works.

happen to know that people that live near lawrence and dvp frequently call police regarding motorcycles 'ramping' there. Comes to be an issue when they are doing it constantly throughout the day/night. Also at bayview / bloor / dvp ramps aswell... Just FYI cause I see it all the time.

As for the colour of the road markings; yellow denotes opposing traffic on the other side where white is same direction or edge of your roadway, in a nutshell.

this is what i've been taught.

Ramping is so yesterday... roundabout is where the action is.

On a serious note, imho there's no need to be leaning off bike for normal street riding. If one cannot navigate an intersection without leaning off, honestly get off the road and re-evaluate the whole riding fundamentals.

+1 for roundabouts ;)

I had a police officer tell me that there are no speed limits on ramps and he was joking about how people with sports cars can only use the cars power getting on and off the highways...but who knows really..not me..lol

General rule. Ramp speed is of the speed the roadway it’s leaving from. Ie Lawrence ramp would probably be a 60 with an advisory speed of I think 30. Lawrence offramp to Lawrence e or w would be 90 etc etc.

No, ramp speed is the speed it's leading to. Wouldn't be getting on the highway from a 60km/h road and only doing 60 at the end to merge. Though really it's a transition. Entrance speed is the speed of the road you enter from and exit is the speed you are going onto. So 60 to 100 or 100 to 60. Plus the yellow suggested speed on the yellow signs.

While the limits on yellow signs aren't enforceable, you could potentially face charges if you go over the recommended limit – especially if you get into a crash.

Wow, a 3 year thread revival.

Anyways, now that the weather is getting hotter, it seems like engines seem to be blowing up a lot more often and spewing oil all over highway ramps.

Just going out for a cruise today, (on/off 4 different highway ramps), two of the four had oil spewed all over. Either scan the ramp before hand (if possible), or take it at a reasonable speed where you can adjust your line.

This ramp in particular, I was able to scan as I was going over the bridge and saw a wet substance splashed from the middle track running to the outside of the turn, so I started and stayed in the inside track until it was clear.

This situation was a bit odd as the person seemed to decide to pull over into the bullnose at the end of the ramp. For information purposes, this is the 400 North ramp from Highway 7 Eastbound today.

P6vfjEq.jpg

Last edited:
I ride every ramp the same way.A refrigerator fell off the hypothetical pickup truck 100m ahead of me. Take it to the track where there are no guardrails etc.

I ride every ramp the same way.A refrigerator fell off the hypothetical pickup truck 100m ahead of me. Take it to the track where there are no guardrails etc.

Couldn't have said it better.. Goes along with dress for the crash not the ride...lol

As to the legalities of road markings and signage, all been covered. UNLESS a sign is present stating no passing, road lines are ADVISORY only, you can legally pass on a double yellow, (although not always a best idea given you will generally find them in areas of limited visibility, (IE rural intersections).

That attitude served me well when some lawn furniture fell off the back of a pickup in front of me, on a ramp.

If you're on the 407 Westbound there is a nice 270 degree ramp leading to the 403 Eastbound after the Britannia exchange. Smooth pavement, slight downhill and then a merge with 407 E to 403 E traffic at the end. Only downside is that you merge on the 403 on the left which is a pain if you want to exit at Winston Churchill.

That attitude served me well when some lawn furniture fell off the back of a pickup in front of me, on a ramp.

I think it goes without saying that "ramping" behind another vehicle going much slower, or with an unsecured load is a terrible idea 100% of the time.

I think it goes without saying that "ramping" behind another vehicle going much slower, or with an unsecured load is a terrible idea 100% of the time.

Gotta ride 3Fast1337Furious and drag through the other vehicle w/ the insecure load when it unloads and causes an explosion behind you.

But seriously: if I end up at ramps I'm familiar with and find fun....I'll do a sweeping loop, get off, and do a "slightly below warm up at track" pace on them. Blame Ontario for being ****ing straight.....everywhere.

油井緋色;2572615 said:
Gotta ride 3Fast1337Furious and drag through the other vehicle w/ the insecure load when it unloads and causes an explosion behind you.

But seriously: if I end up at ramps I'm familiar with and find fun....I'll do a sweeping loop, get off, and do a "slightly below warm up at track" pace on them. Blame Ontario for being ****ing straight.....everywhere.

its not all straight... get out of the city for a ride..

oh, yeah, sports bikes don't leave the GTA..

its not all straight... get out of the city for a ride..

oh, yeah, sports bikes don't leave the GTA..

I'm sorry, track racing spoiled me. Takes the same time it would take to go to Shannonville or mosport than go to the more fun twisties I found prior to track days....and there are no cars crossing the middle lane or mountains to smash into/hills to jump off.

油井緋色;2312929 said:
So if I'm actually getting on or off the highway, hanging off, and happen to find a cop waiting, I have to run to avoid dealing with a potential impound, and license suspension because someone doesn't understand hanging off != racing but is used to decrease lean angle and stability? This is the thing I'm worried about most tbh as I've been pulled over and given **** before for hanging off during an intersection right turn (bike was completely up right and not taken at speed...cause you know, gravel!).

It would be hard to prove that you were stunt driving just because you are tilt over too much on the motorcycle.

油井緋色;2312929 said:
So if I'm actually getting on or off the highway, hanging off, and happen to find a cop waiting, I have to run to avoid dealing with a potential impound, and license suspension because someone doesn't understand hanging off != racing but is used to decrease lean angle and stability? This is the thing I'm worried about most tbh as I've been pulled over and given **** before for hanging off during an intersection right turn (bike was completely up right and not taken at speed...cause you know, gravel!).

I used to get stopped all the time when I first started riding - RD350
slobbering old things didn't work at all until over 10,000 RPM
and the expansion chambers had little muffler capability
so although you didn't have to be speeding, it sounded like you were
always the same conversation "you were flat out" "what was my speed officer?"
"don't know but you were flat out!"

Back
Top Bottom