RACE Lightweight Prod. Class? | GTAMotorcycle.com

RACE Lightweight Prod. Class?

STR

Just wondering what kind of turnout this class gets...looking to buy/build a small CC race bike.

As Brian noted with the mylaps link they had a grid of 8. I expect there may be 2 additional next round.

The leader was more than dominant on his 2 stroke. Most of the grid were 250s and almost all of them were log jammed behind a Bandit.

There will be a another class added for the next round for 300 cc and under production.

Just wondering what kind of turnout this class gets...looking to buy/build a small CC race bike.

Heh... the 250 2-smoke might as well have been a superbike in that race.

I though the new R3 (321cc) and RC390 are allowed in the class?

As Brian noted with the mylaps link they had a grid of 8. I expect there may be 2 additional next round.

The leader was more than dominant on his 2 stroke. Most of the grid were 250s and almost all of them were log jammed behind a Bandit.

There will be a another class added for the next round for 300 cc and under production.

however, in SOAR lwt prod'n, the displacemnt is limited to 375cc. RC390 wouldn't be any more fair than running a 2 stroke..lol

Actually 400 cc single thumper. But yes a 250 2 stroke really is in a different sphere than the bikes on the grid at present in Lightweight Production.

As for why the new class of 300 cc or smaller was created, it is since the # of 250s really only had 1 class to run in and they are clearly mismatched with the allowable 250 2 stroke. So the new 300 cc or less class was created to replace the "250 Production" class that was dropped (RACE 2014). SOAR still has Nuspeed. However due to the potential that someone might show up with a CBR300 or one of the Ninja 300s in anticipation of the 2016 CSBK class, the new class is 300 cc capped.

Someone with an R3 or RC390 or other such will only fit in the Lightweight Production.

The new 300 cc class is not eligible for the RACE/SOAR championship.

So they're keeping the current lightweight prod. class as is and adding a sub 300cc prod. class?

Just interested cause I was thinking about maybe doing up a CBR or Ninja 300 but I want to make sure I'll have a place to race it...and possibly be competitive:p

however, in SOAR lwt prod'n, the displacemnt is limited to 375cc. RC390 wouldn't be any more fair than running a 2 stroke..lol

The actual displacement of the RC390 is around (I think slightly below) 375cc. The 390 is just the marketing wizards at work. It's legal.

The actual displacement of the RC390 is around (I think slightly below) 375cc. The 390 is just the marketing wizards at work. It's legal.

i stand corrected, both brian and bakaboy got it right. only if the bike is a twin, is displacement capped at 380cc. singles at 400cc (for SOAR).

It is my understanding that they will have both Lightweight Production and 300 Production.

As for being competitive....well I wouldn't know anything about that since I just ride like it's a Sunday ride.

On Shanny Pro the CBR250/Ninja 250 run in the 1' 21" to 1' 24" range best laps. Jodi ran the Ninja 300 last fall on Pro at about 1' 18" - 1' 19" (don't quote me on that as I was trying to time on my cell phone lapping only). As well he was only riding to experiment with setup....

So they're keeping the current lightweight prod. class as is and adding a sub 300cc prod. class?

Just interested cause I was thinking about maybe doing up a CBR or Ninja 300 but I want to make sure I'll have a place to race it...and possibly be competitive:p

So the older (pre-08 Ninja/EX250's are allowed in LW Prod. too right?

Last edited:
My RC390 is not yet ready to hit the track. The required bellypan just arrived today. While we had alot of initial interest from SOAR racers, so far the bikes have not yet come out. I expect to see a few this wknd and more at the July rounds. parillaguy

PS holy crap properly converting a street bike into a road racer is a ton of hours work:confused2:. I haven't drilled so many holes in bolt heads in a decade!

I am curious when people talk about the 250 2 stroke dominating the class, what 250 2 stroke are they talking about because there are a wide range of them.

A TZ250 or Honda RS250 make 70-85 hp and are very very light,
A NSR250, RGV250, Aprilia RS250 make 45-60hp and not so light relatively speaking,

I can see where the full on race 250 two strokes would out gun everything in that class hell they can give 600s a run for their money, I was thinking that the street based two strokes would not walk away with the competition in that class, but maybe I am wrong.

As an aside is this the class that my Aprilia RS250 would compete in if I was to race it in SOAR or RACE? I think RACE still has a formula 2 stroke class don't they, and SOAR does not.

Back
Top Bottom