How to improve seat comfort for long days in the saddle? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

How to improve seat comfort for long days in the saddle?

I use a combination of things to stay comfortable for the long ride. First, it's all about staying dry (not sweating onto your butt) so, wear dry fit everything from head to toe. Cotton has no place on long rides. Second thing, powder your butt with Monkey Butt Powder or medicated powder and keep applying it at every gas stop. These two steps are the easiest and most cost effective way of avoiding the dreaded diaper rash.

Next up, if you want to spend some time and money, is to stay cooler while riding. An evaporative vest goes a long way to stay confortable and keeps your core temp comfortable. I love mine. After that, it's all about airflow around your seat; the more the better. I bought a cheap gel car seat from Canadian Tire, custom fit the gel pad, then brought the seat to a 'Stitch it' to have the outer part sewn to fit. I added a couple straps to it and it fits my bike perfect. I get a little more legroom plus I can feel a little more airflow. I imagine the beadseat would work even better so I'm thinking of going that route next.

What about a new custom seat? Well, you can get a new Corbin, Sargeant, or whatever for $400+ and yes, it'll improve comfort but it won't necessarily help with the diaper rash. Also, there are upholsterers in the GTA that also do custom seats if you bring in your seat pan. I buddy of mine had one done for about $150; much cheaper than a Corbin plus they won't cover the seat until you try it to confirm it works for you.

At the end of the day, there is no magic bullet. Everyone is a bit different with sweat rates and how they rash up so start with a good base layer (I use Heat Out), some powder, and go from there.

I use a combination of things to stay comfortable for the long ride. First, it's all about staying dry (not sweating onto your butt) so, wear dry fit everything from head to toe. Cotton has no place on long rides. Second thing, powder your butt with Monkey Butt Powder or medicated powder and keep applying it at every gas stop. These two steps are the easiest and most cost effective way of avoiding the dreaded diaper rash.

Next up, if you want to spend some time and money, is to stay cooler while riding. An evaporative vest goes a long way to stay confortable and keeps your core temp comfortable. I love mine. After that, it's all about airflow around your seat; the more the better. I bought a cheap gel car seat from Canadian Tire, custom fit the gel pad, then brought the seat to a 'Stitch it' to have the outer part sewn to fit. I added a couple straps to it and it fits my bike perfect. I get a little more legroom plus I can feel a little more airflow. I imagine the beadseat would work even better so I'm thinking of going that route next.

What about a new custom seat? Well, you can get a new Corbin, Sargeant, or whatever for $400+ and yes, it'll improve comfort but it won't necessarily help with the diaper rash. Also, there are upholsterers in the GTA that also do custom seats if you bring in your seat pan. I buddy of mine had one done for about $150; much cheaper than a Corbin plus they won't cover the seat until you try it to confirm it works for you.

At the end of the day, there is no magic bullet. Everyone is a bit different with sweat rates and how they rash up so start with a good base layer (I use Heat Out), some powder, and go from there.

Maybe i'm the odd-ball..... but I never get "diaper rash" :lmao:

Luckily I don't really sweat down there... just uncomfortable for other reasons.

My main issue is the diaper rash. I have week long trip coming up on June 13th. Going down to the Blue ridge parkway 2up. I think i'll just get some good underwear and use baby powder like recommended above.

My main issue is the diaper rash. I have week long trip coming up on June 13th. Going down to the Blue ridge parkway 2up. I think i'll just get some good underwear and use baby powder like recommended above.

Get the bead rider then....you'll feel a breeze where it matters.

Baby powder not as good as Gold Bond or Monkey Butt.
I also find "H" sewn dri-fit/coolmax/UA type boxer briefs better/ more comfortable than they "A" sewn style.
I am assuming the "pouch" type of boxers are similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerider View Post
Get the bead rider then....you'll feel a breeze where it matters.

Yup - and it lets you move around easily which I think is invaluable...I use the Beadrider at times even with the custom seat just so it's cool and easy to move around on the seat.

Poly pants rather than cotton tho I use cotton boxers.

Anyone know where to get a BeadRider in the GTA?

Unless used, only through the BR website. They ship quickly to Canada in my experience. You could try and modify a car-seat version from CT, but they're not stained black.

Buy the ceramic ones....I ride in tropical Australia and it's as good as the day I bought it. Buddies too.
Don't get wood.

I picked up a wooden bead car seat from crappy tire for $15. Will have to modify it to fit my bike. I dont want to chance delivery time from the US. We are leaving on June 13th.

The wooden beads will fade in the sun but they still work. The CdnTire one is held together with basically just fishing line, so run a sturdy cord through the outer beads to reinforce everything.

My problem isn't ***** rash, it's pain. By the end of a long day it feels like I've been beaten with a cricket bat. My gel seat helps for sure, but I'm going to try the bearded as well. Bring both if I have to and switch it up.

I picked up a wooden bead car seat from crappy tire for $15. Will have to modify it to fit my bike. I dont want to chance delivery time from the US. We are leaving on June 13th.

I did the same thing and then took it apart enough to understand how they're tied? sewn? woven? whatevered. Then made my own using the beads and fishing line. Works good and it's cheap. There IS a reason cabbies all over the world use these.

Ignore Macdoc wood works just fine.

I'm trying this... hopefully it helps. Yes it's an ATV seat, but apparently it works for bikes as well.
http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Comfo...3297599&sr=8-1&keywords=motorcycle+seat+cover

41RtB1TR07L.jpg

I have a Sargent seat on my Vstrom, but after getting it I was a little disappointed that it didn't make that much difference, I was still getting sore relatively fast. Then I got a bead rider, and now no more issues... I've done 17 hours days without issue.

I just got a sit and fly seat cover for the DRZ, but they didn't have the right fit... I bought the DR650 model and it doesn't quite fit right on the DRZ seat. If anyone wants it, it might fit a DR650, KLR650, or even the stock DRZ seat as it is flatter... I have a seat concepts seat that has more of bend at the tank. While the seat concepts seat is an improvement to stock, I was still looking for airflow.

$%28KGrHqVHJCkFG+KyLeD5BR5pLSO0Ug~~60_35.JPG

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom