Hydration ...not camel back | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hydration ...not camel back

MacDoc

Site Supporter
We're off on 24 days of riding and have nothing specific for hydration other than stuffing a bottle in the tank bag.

It looks to be a hot ride in some areas.

No camel back....not interested.

Thoughts?

Why no Camelback? Just interested. I have a Geigerrig motorcycle hydration device I can strap to the back of the bike. It's a versatile pressurized system that I can also put an inline virus/crypto/sediment filter in. I used it in Panama when I needed to filter mountain water for cooking and drinking in a hut I rented. Very neat device. You can pressurize it enough to use it to irrigate eyes or a wound or clean items with a spray and the bladder is extremely strong. Having said all that...what I use most is a slimline insulated black metal thermos water bottle that fits in my cup holder gizmo. No matter how hot it gets on the bike this keeps water cool for hours.

Oh...and Platypus foldable water bottles....I have those too and they are incredibly useful.

If you use a modular or open faced helmet, then I'd recommend getting a cup holder.

I use this:
RAMB132RU.jpg

While some people have mocked me for it on group rides, it does work great. It only takes a second while stopped to flip the helmet open and have a drink. I also sometimes will take a drink while riding... but only on a long straight away with little traffic and my emergency plan is (drink in my left hand) I would toss the drink so I can get my left back on the bars and engage the clutch.

I use a camel back only on the dirtbike... because a cup holder wouldn't be feasible on it and I need a lot of hydration on the dirt bike. I never use the camel back on the road because I hate sucking through a straw and I want to drink things other than water without having to rinse the bag, etc, etc.

In what way is the water bottle inadequate?

In what way is the water bottle inadequate?

Well if you are wanting access to water while riding, a water bottle is not the best solution, especially if you have a full face helmet. Camelbak is really the best solution for having access to water while riding. You can add a cup holder as Motorcycle Mike pointed out, but you are limited to how much you have access to without stopping.

My BMW jacket has a built in pouch for a camelbak which is really nice as I do not like wearing a backpack for water and can store just the bladder. Not sure if other jackets have this built right in. It is certainly a great feature.

The other option is this:

I do not think it is DOT approved though.

I personally love the CamelBak for hydration. Holds plenty of water and it stays much cooler than a water bottle in saddle bags, especially if you put some ice in there. If you don't want to wear one maybe you can convert a tank bag?

Camelback makes some insulated bottles for cycling. I fill them 1/4 of the way and freeze them. Take them out and fill them up the next day and you're good for several hours with them. Other than that it's a bladder bag or lots of stops.

Well if you are wanting access to water while riding, a water bottle is not the best solution, especially if you have a full face helmet. Camelbak is really the best solution for having access to water while riding. You can add a cup holder as Motorcycle Mike pointed out, but you are limited to how much you have access to without stopping.

My BMW jacket has a built in pouch for a camelbak which is really nice as I do not like wearing a backpack for water and can store just the bladder. Not sure if other jackets have this built right in. It is certainly a great feature.

The OP states that they are not interested in a camelbak. Also, your intense camelbak evangelism makes me vaguely uncomfortable

Recommended on another site...went with this...

bottle with a straw....sort of :D

41XYlZBSkhL._SX300_.jpg

Don't care about cool, drink more if it's warm. In Australia I use 1.5 Litre bottles filled with orange cordial and water...I drink more if it's flavoured...but I have to stop.
Burgman I keep a 500 ml in the glove compartment - I could do the same in the tank bag but less fumbling with this.
That cup holder should fit a 750 ml diet Pepsi.....that and a Mars bar are the go to stay awake and functional without a headache solution for me.

Never had the luxury of accessible handlebars on the Burgman and did not bother with brake reservoir mounts which in hindsight was probably an error.

Don't like full face helmets - usually 3/4 or in the current case an AFX -55 where the opening is so wide I can still eat and drink.
If it's a long day I'll just switch it to the 3/4 configuration.

The chin piece is not certified protection...seals the wind a bit and would help a bit in low speed dirt come off.

If anyone is looking for an excellent 3/4...my Bell Mag8 is available. $50 for an excellent helmet.

bell_mag8_pearlwhite.jpg

XXL

Just wanted the sunshade and the variable config of the AFX-55.

afxfx55_hi_vis_helmet_detail.jpg

Just have to remember to tip it down a bit before mashing the chocolate bar into the chin piece :D
It's not in the line of vision...something I like but still offers wind protection for the Sena mike and weather.

Last edited:
Camelback makes some insulated bottles for cycling. I fill them 1/4 of the way and freeze them. Take them out and fill them up the next day and you're good for several hours with them. Other than that it's a bladder bag or lots of stops.

I have a insulated one for SnowSports. Keeps the pipes from freezing. Which will happen!

You could always bungy down a camel pack to your luggage and use a longer tuve if you didnt want to wear the pack

Love a camelbak for riding. I don't use modular helmets, so it is the only easy way to stay hydrated (I hate stopping). If you dislike camelbak, you could always go for a generic squirt water bottle (tucked under a bungee when you aren't drinking).

Holy crap. Is there a matching bucket with a catheter on the other side?

Holy crap. Is there a matching bucket with a catheter on the other side?

Nah, pullups for grownups. ;)
Or those inverse thingies for girls to p.p. at the urinal. Just unbutton trousers, zip the fly down, and slide that badboy in. Stand on pegs and point where the sun don't shine

Back
Top Bottom