Arctic Circle/ Alaska anyone? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Arctic Circle/ Alaska anyone?

QuantumBlue919Guy

I am trying to escape on my bike for a couple weeks, to the Arctic Circle is my goal. I am trying to leave the last week in August. I have the Milepost 2015 on the way and have a pretty good idea of what I am doing. Bike is a BMW R1200GS with the usual treats.

Anyone here done the trip and have tips or any inside info?

Fly your bike to Calgary and point it north...then ride it back home.. You can JUST do it.
There may even be a more northern solution as it's anywhere Air Canada flies.

Out and back in two weeks....I don't think so.

Hit Fairbanks and then it's a few hundred KM to the Artic Circle.

Figure it's 3500 KM from Calgary to Fairbanks then another day at least

he trip to the Arctic Circle is feasible in one day, but it will be a long day, fortunately you have the benefit of 24 hours of daylight. When i did it, i left at 7am and returned at 10pm and i only spent about half hour at the circle and 1 hour eating at the only real spot to get gas and eat which is at the Yukon River. I hope you realize that 80% of the trip is on a dirt/gravel road and you have to deal with a fairly constant flow of 18 wheelers.
http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic...tic_Circle_to_Fairbanks-Fairbanks_Alaska.html

4,000 km back to Toronto. Awful push.

Now if you can fly the bike to Whitehorse..( not sure )

That gives you more wiggle room. Then it's just 1,000 km to Fairbanks and 4000 km back home.
Not so bad.

$700 or so to fly the bike.

I drove from Toronto to Inuvik up the Dempster Highway about 30 years ago in a pick up truck.All I can say is that it would be one hell of a long ride on a bike.I went in July when there was 24 hours of daylight and the weather was actually quite nice.Not sure but by late August the weather may not be quit as nice. it was an awesome trip,glad I did it but wouldn't do it again.When I got home I gave away all my camping equipment and never went camping again.

Whoops, I meant leave last week of July. I agree end of August would be too late.

Thanks for the info.. I am considering flying the bike out so I can spend more time in Alaska, I have 3 weeks total to be back. It is a long ride, almost 13k km round trip from Barrie. It would likely be a once in a lifetime bucket list item, just need some real adventure this year!

3 weeks is perfect if you fly to Calgary or Vancouver and ride home.

It's 2400 km to Whitehorse from Vancouver
Its 2250 from Calgary and a much nicer route from Vancouver....price is the same
You get into Van at 10 am and have the entire day to ride north up a superb stretch of highway ...to Cache Creek or maybe even further.

4 days - then 10 days around Alaska which is fine unless you want to do the Arctic Circle ...might be a push. I'd opt to do the Kenai and Valdez, Wrangell St. ELias area ....then a week home. I'd guess tacking the weekends on you'd have the same 24 days we have.

Leaving in 12 hours - yippee.
tigger-jumping2-34329.gif

How has your experience with Aircanada been so far? Following your posts I am seriously considering riding out to AK, then to Vancouver and flying the bike home

Erratic but it's the only game in town. Getting the weight sorted and the Dangerous Goods certificate as frustrating as there is no what to do in what order list.

The reason to do it in reverse is coming home you are riding with the prevailing wind. No small factor over that distance

Back
Top Bottom