"Private Road" question | GTAMotorcycle.com

"Private Road" question

jc100

I went out for a nice ride along a few roads I haven't been on today south of Highway 7 and just east of Arden. I'd seen a road on the GPS that looked interesting that wound around to what I thought would be a good look out point but when I got to the turn off for this road a large official looking highway sign black letters on yellow background said "Private Road" another sign "not an exit" and another sign "winding road, single lane". The road is Opeongo Point Lane. On the map it's reasonably long.....can that all be private? Or does Private road mean unassumed? I didn't go down it as I was unsure but it looked like a hoot (mostly dirt/gravel). There were no "no trespassing" signs or anything else. Just these signs that looked like regular highway signs.

You find many Private roads in Ontario, as stated much more prevelant in cottage country. The cottage owners get together and they build, and maintain the road, (if there are year round cottages they pay, (or one of them has a tractor), for snow removal. The road is actually part of their properties, which is why they can list it as private.

Normally these roads are dead ends at the last property along the road. The property owners generally are pretty easy going, and don't mind if you travel the road respectfully, (the kids often play on and use the road). They simply put up the signs to "discourage" people from thinking it is a "short cut" and using the road all the time, (which then increases maintainence costs).

Back
Top Bottom