Dirt Bike Insurance? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Dirt Bike Insurance?

Liability, it's a requirement in Ontario, and for membership in the OFTR. No different than sleds and atvs.

Liability, it's a requirement in Ontario, and for membership in the OFTR. No different than sleds and atvs.
Sleds you can get comprehensive / collision for. What exactly are insurance companies insuring MX bikes for? What will they pay out on without stating the bike frame plate indicates "for offroad use only?" If you write off a sled on the road or a trail or if it catches fire or its stolen, you get paid off. None of those conditions are true for an MX bike, yet the insurance co's are still happy to take your money. It's a money grab.

Liability insurance is to pay for damages you make to other people/property. So if you run over someone or their dog while on the trail, your liability insurance covers it.

It's very odd to me that you need insurance to operate an off-road only vehicle off road but you don't need insurance to operate a bicycle on the street, where the chances of damaging something or injuring someone are higher (IMO). Really neither should be required. I heard somewhere that your bicycle is covered by your home/renters insurance but that might be wrong.

Sleds you can get comprehensive / collision for. What exactly are insurance companies insuring MX bikes for? What will they pay out on without stating the bike frame plate indicates "for offroad use only?" If you write off a sled on the road or a trail or if it catches fire or its stolen, you get paid off. None of those conditions are true for an MX bike, yet the insurance co's are still happy to take your money. It's a money grab.

It's a money grab.

..... especially when you hit a pedestrian on the trail and they sue your heiney off for a couple million.

Have fun ponying up the dough for that.

A pedestrian on the trail?

I know a guy who's younger brother was on a quad and got into a head on crash with another guy on a bike who turned out to be drunk. Drunk guy lost his foot and buddy's brother saved his life.

Drunk guy then sues buddy's brother. Who was like 14.

Your rebuttal to that scenario? :)

I know a guy who's younger brother was on a quad and got into a head on crash with another guy on a bike who turned out to be drunk. Drunk guy lost his foot and buddy's brother saved his life.

Drunk guy then sues buddy's brother. Who was like 14.

Your rebuttal to that scenario? :)

I know a guy who's brother...

My point is that insurance co's will argue that the frame plate states "for offroad use only" and the trail was either illegal to be on (see Jack in Multimedia), or you were told to ride at your own risk. How can they insure something that could very well be flying 80 feet in the air? I can't see them paying out on a motocross crash!

I know a guy who's brother...

My point is that insurance co's will argue that the frame plate states "for offroad use only" and the trail was either illegal to be on (see Jack in Multimedia), or you were told to ride at your own risk. How can they insure something that could very well be flying 80 feet in the air? I can't see them paying out on a motocross crash!
motocross tracks have their own insurance, same as road race tracks. that's not what we're talking about here. and no one is paying out in the case of a race crash.

motocross tracks have their own insurance, same as road race tracks. that's not what we're talking about here. and no one is paying out in the case of a race crash.
Exactly. So what are insurance co's actually insuring for when they insure a motocross? That's the discussion.

Exactly. So what are insurance co's actually insuring for when they insure a motocross? That's the discussion.
for anywhere other than a racetrack.

for anywhere other than a racetrack.
So you get catastrophic liability on an offroad race bike with no governance of what you are doing with it on trails? I would like to see an actual payout. The insurance co has a hundred ways out, and they'll use them.

So you get catastrophic liability on an offroad race bike with no governance of what you are doing with it on trails? I would like to see an actual payout. The insurance co has a hundred ways out, and they'll use them.
huh? you think there's a difference between being on a trail and running someone over on a ttr230 or a yz250f?

huh? you think there's a difference between being on a trail and running someone over on a ttr230 or a yz250f?
The very nature of how a motocross is ridden goes against everything insurance is and stands for. "Were you doing a wheelie sir? What's that, you were going over a jump? You were doing what... rooster tails? What's that sir, you were in a river? " They'll never pay out. It's a cash grab.

The very nature of how a motocross is ridden goes against everything insurance is and stands for. "Were you doing a wheelie sir? What's that, you were going over a jump? You were doing what... rooster tails? What's that sir, you were in a river? " They'll never pay out. It's a cash grab.
yeah you're right. I bet they've never paid out on a 1000cc supersport single vehicle accident either.

Back
Top Bottom