Unregulated road? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Unregulated road?

defeater905

Hi Everyone, over the weekend I went for a boot along ridge road. I veered off on my way home and found a few two track dirt roads with white and black signs in front of them saying something to the effect of "Unregulated Open Road" sorry, I can't remember if that's exactly what it said or not. The pictures attached don't have those signs, so they must have been recently put there and the one picture has a yellow blurred sign in place of the one I saw.

Does anyone know wtf that means? I decided not to go down the roads that day, but thought I would come back another time to explore. I was just confused by the signs. Is the sign telling me to keep out? or ride it?! lol

Thanks!

road1.jpg

road2.jpg

Last edited:
I would take it to mean no speed limits.

Was it unregulated or unassumed? Normally unassumed desgination is given to roads which have in essence been "decommissioned" and are no longer patrolled or maintained by the municipality.

Pretty sure it was unregulated, but you may be right. If you look at the pictures though, those don't look like they were ever roads but the signs must be new as they aren't in the google images I pulled.

I really just remember thinking "that's a strange sign" and wanting to rip down the path road. Then came across it again in picture #2.

its like being in international waters...anything is legal on that road...Drugs,murder, monkey knife fights anything goes.

Dammit. You don't talk about monkey knife fight club.

What Is an Unopened Road?

An unopened road is a term used in Ontario, Canada to indicate a strip of land where a road is going to be built in the future, but does not actually exist yet. The complete term for this is an unopened road allowance.
Other People Are Reading

Origin of Term

Unopened Road Allowance is a term that originally appeared in Ontario's Road Access Act, which was passed in 1978 to settle disputes when someone can only get to their landlocked property by traveling across the property of a neighbor.

Use of Term

The term is used in legal disputes when the owner of the land wants to shut down an access road used by their neighbor. The owner of the property is legally required to leave the road open unless they are granted a court order to do so, or until the strip along the unopened road allowance is turned into an actual road.

Property issues

The Road Access Act could have real importance for those considering buying land in remote parts of Ontario. Bob Aaron, a real estate columnist at the Toronto Star, encouraged prospective buyers of remote cottages to research how to get to their property before buying it. "After all," he wrote. "There's no point spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on a recreational home if the only way to get to it is by helicopter."

http://www.ehow.com/facts_7504502_unopened-road.html

JpSkOeY.jpg

No problem! I just got myself a wr250r, so roads that look like that are looking kinda sweet now! :)

Have fun!

If you're on a dual-sport, those signs mean "c'mon do it, you know you want to".
Listen to your inner-monkey fighter self. If they didn't want you to ride it, why would they build it?

I have no idea if there's anything legally stopping you from taking a bike across those roads. Just don't run over my dad walking his dog if you do so

I've been down that one in the first picture. There were a few people riding quads. There wasn't much down there. With the DrZ, those roads were always travels when I found them. Just to see what's down them. I think it's just roads that aren't maintained by the municipality. But I don't think that they are private property.

A ton of time ago and in a different province what appeared to be our driveway was actually a city road that was only derivable for about a hundred yards. However it was a city (Suburban) street that was part of a theoretical street grid that guided future development.

Every year or two some idiot would actually try to drive through.

Back
Top Bottom