Do you know how fast your going? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Do you know how fast your going?

Speedo check and also the sound of the engine/feel of the wind for changes. The only time I really need to be careful is when passing, as I like to do so as quickly as possible (so I am not beside the other vehicle or on the wrong side of the road if on a 2 lane road. In the car I'll need to slow down a bit once I merge back into my original lane, but there have been a number of times I've done the same on the bike, look down, and would be facing a 172 if a cop was speed trapping up ahead.

I don't know about others here as well, but I find it very easy to maintain a speed on the bike over a straight stretch of road (eg. 401) compared to the car, where my speed varies more. Must be the difference between a more rev-happy engine and the way a throttle is controlled on a bike vs car. Both of mine are manuals, so changing/choosing gear has nothing to do with it.

Last edited:
Oh, and if you start wearing earplugs (if you don't already) the wind noise will throw you for a while. Now I have it the other way -- If I don't wear plugs one time, I'll think I'm doing 100 and look down to see I am doing 60. lol

Speedo check and also the sound of the engine/feel of the wind for changes. The only time I really need to be careful is when passing, as I like to do so as quickly as possible (so I am not beside the other vehicle or on the wrong side of the road if on a 2 lane road. In the car I'll need to slow down a bit once I merge back into my original lane, but there have been a number of times I've done the same on the bike, look down, and would be facing a 172 if a cop was speed trapping up ahead.

The second time I went on the QEW I did this. Went to pass a semi looked down and was at 170.

True Story: I had a cbr600rr from the USA, and when it reverted to MPH when the battery was out. One spring I got it fired up, went for a ride and thought that everyone was driving ridiculously slow, I was passing everybody like they were standing still, until I realized I was looking at MPH, and not Km/H.

Conclusion: I need a working speedometer to know how fast I'm going. The Hayabusa relaxed cruising speed is north of 150, so you have to keep an eye on it.

Going 150 on a busa feels sloow!!! There is no sensation of speed on that bike unless you are going 200-240+

Hmmm, maybe things are different on a SS. I took a S1000R to close to 2 bucks and the scariest thing by far was the windblast.

Upright position + no windscreen = tight sphincter.

It usually says on my speeding ticket...

as others have said, pratice (sound, feel, visual, etc.) and the speed of traffic around you.

Going 150 on a busa feels sloow!!! There is no sensation of speed on that bike unless you are going 200-240+

Which makes you wonder isnt the thrill of going fast all about sensation of speed? Does it make sense to have a vehicle that require such high speed to be thrilled?

Which makes you wonder isnt the thrill of going fast all about sensation of speed? Does it make sense to have a vehicle that require such high speed to be thrilled?

No, the thrill of going fast is going faster than other people. It's a phenomenon that's psychological in nature where that thrill is combined with a smugness as you slowly crank your head around on the hiway and stare down the passee. Clinically, that's an amalgam of thrill and smugness, thmugness.

Last edited:
No, the thrill of going fast is going faster than other people.

Wait till you hit the track and make your first pass. And then try to chase down the next rider in front of you.
That's the thrill right there - even more so when the person you want to get past makes it difficult to do so. Need to work on strategy, where they're slower and you're faster... and when it comes together and you get by, WOOHOO!!!

Back
Top Bottom