Do you know how fast your going? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Do you know how fast your going?

justride

As a new rider. I am having trouble in gauging how fast or slow I am actually going without looking at the speedo. Any advice in "feeling" what the speed of the bike is doing. thanks

As a new rider. I am having trouble in gauging how fast or slow I am actually going without looking at the speedo. Any advice in "feeling" what the speed of the bike is doing. thanks

Gee every bikes gearing is different. You will just have to learn yours. Then you learn the feel of your bike at certain rpm range.

Look at the speedo. LOL - I fail to see the point of this question. There's a million other things to do while riding a motorcycle other than worrying about if you can guess how fast your going without looking at the speedo.

^ +1 but if you have a loud exhaust just listen to it i guess.

Look at the speedo. LOL - I fail to see the point of this question. There's a million other things to do while riding a motorcycle other than worrying about if you can guess how fast your going without looking at the speedo.

True Story: I had a cbr600rr from the USA, and when it reverted to MPH when the battery was out. One spring I got it fired up, went for a ride and thought that everyone was driving ridiculously slow, I was passing everybody like they were standing still, until I realized I was looking at MPH, and not Km/H.

Conclusion: I need a working speedometer to know how fast I'm going. The Hayabusa relaxed cruising speed is north of 150, so you have to keep an eye on it.

If you are passing cars like they are not moving then you are going to fast.

If you're keeping up with traffic, you're most likly going faster than the speed limit. A nice trophy for a concealed LIDAR operator.

I feel like about half of all Japanese street bikes are geared so that going up or down a gear is +/- 10kph, given that you are at whatever the manufacturer's "ideal" cruising RPM is (4000 or lower usually). Handy if your speedo suddenly conks out and you are a long way from home.

I look at my gps

How fast my what is going? Be more specific.

Speedo, or I often glance at the GPS, mounted behind the windshield. Now of course I ride a cruiser so not too worried about my speed. Picked up a 600 Katana for a friend, a couple of years ago, (at the time I was riding a 750 Intruder). i am "cruising" along the 427 wondering why is my head being bounced all over the place. Thought must be the lack of windshield. Then I looked down and realized I was doing 110 MPH, (there was no traffic to gauge against), But it "felt" like I was going what would have been normal speed on my cruiser. So the type of bike also makes a HUGE difference in getting the feel of the bike.

+1 to above

Took the bike out today to work. Normally take the 407 at 130km/h in my car. On the bike I forgot how fast it accelerated and was wondering why everyone was going so slow lol

Generally though, on bike, I'll be +10-20km/h faster than traffic and constantly passing. This way I only have to worry about my blind spots changing lanes and what's ahead.

Wind resistance against my helmet
And yeah i still sometimes try to get in the 7th speed. But 1000kms in on the bike, i know what different speeds feel like without really looking at the speedometer

With a handle like that. you have to ask?

Kidding.

Just a matter of getting used to "the feeling" of what it's like at a given RPM and speed. My old cruiser likes 3rd gear and 60 km/h. 4th gear is 80 km/h. 5th gear is for 100 km/h and above.

The sound, the feel, there is a sweet spot that you tend to find a groove for.

My Bandit 1200 is stupid easy to accidentally speed on... I always have to watch my acceleration from red lights. If I don't pay attention, its HTA 172 territory within seconds.

taking a look will take a mere second... just be wise when you look down and dont gawk at it. nothing wrong with looking at your speedo momentarily.. it is legal in the province.

Engine/exhaust pitch (and knowing what gear I am in) tells me how fast I am going, unless its 120+ in 6th then it all sounds pretty much the same

Back
Top Bottom