TMP May 28th afternoon lapping cancelled | GTAMotorcycle.com

TMP May 28th afternoon lapping cancelled

mctonyb

Just thought I'd share if anyone was planning on attending. I called today to confirm times for tech/riders meeting and was told the event was cancelled.

There was 0 pre-registered for tomorrow FYI.

Went to try to check TMP's website to see how overpriced the thursday lapping was but my phone doesn't want to access the site because it's insecure. Haha figures

Today is a Reddawn Trackday at TMP fyi. Not sure if the afternoon lapping comes after the trackday part but just an fyi.

Today is a Reddawn Trackday at TMP fyi.
Was a good track day, first one of the year for me! Zero crashes, zero people running out of gas on the track. Only had to stop the day once for a pylon in the middle of the track. Freaking love open sessions like that!

I was braking way too early, missing all the apexes, carrying zero corner speed (50kph through turn 1, seriously?), getting on the throttle way late, just couldn't get my act together. It's probably because of the 4 hours sleep I had in the previous 48 hours to the track day plus the insane brakes setup Sharrard did, I tried to brake harder and later into turn 1 and I almost went over the handlebars (will have that video up soon, in other news Mikeymoto's new carbon fiber rear rotor works really well on the grass), so I think that scared me for the rest of the day into braking way early and easy. Best lap time yesterday was a 1:23 where as my previous best lap was a 1:20.

[video=youtube;dG3Aj8J09bI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG3Aj8J09bI[/video]

Mikeymoto's CF rotor, got used a few times on the grass yesterday:

2015-05-27-Mikeymoto_carbon_fiber_rotor.jpg

The stock/OEM rotor (slightly worn) weighed 816g or 1.8lbs, the Mikeymoto light weight rotor weighed 358g or .8lbs and his new super fancy Carbon Fiber Rotor weighed in at a mind blowing 110g or .24lbs!

What do you use to record, capture data, and sync everything together?

Was a good track day, first one of the year for me! Zero crashes, zero people running out of gas on the track. Only had to stop the day once for a pylon in the middle of the track. Freaking love open sessions like that!

I was braking way too early, missing all the apexes, carrying zero corner speed (50kph through turn 1, seriously?), getting on the throttle way late, just couldn't get my act together. It's probably because of the 4 hours sleep I had in the previous 48 hours to the track day plus the insane brakes setup Sharrard did, I tried to brake harder and later into turn 1 and I almost went over the handlebars (will have that video up soon, in other news Mikeymoto's new carbon fiber rear rotor works really well on the grass), so I think that scared me for the rest of the day into braking way early and easy. Best lap time yesterday was a 1:23 where as my previous best lap was a 1:20.

[video=youtube;dG3Aj8J09bI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG3Aj8J09bI[/video]

Mikeymoto's CF rotor, got used a few times on the grass yesterday:

2015-05-27-Mikeymoto_carbon_fiber_rotor.jpg

The stock/OEM rotor (slightly worn) weighed 816g or 1.8lbs, the Mikeymoto light weight rotor weighed 358g or .8lbs and his new super fancy Carbon Fiber Rotor weighed in at a mind blowing 110g or .24lbs!

What do you use to record, capture data, and sync everything together?
As architect said, it's "Harry's Lap Timer": http://www.gps-laptimer.de/Home.html

Runs on iOS and Android. I'm using it on a busted up old school iPod touch with an Ulti-Mate high accuracy 5gz GPS adapter.

Works with the devices built in camera for recording and overlaying the data (if the phone/ipod/tablet is mounted in an orientation that allows the built in camera to look out the front/back at you, etc.) or you can take the video clip from ANY camera (that vid was shot using the mind blowing new Xiaomi Yi 1080p@60fps camera), dump it to your iDevice or Android then open the video in the Harry's Lap Timer app. Sync the telemetry to the start of the lap and tada, it does the rest. Works sweet.

I didn't do a very good job syncing up the telemetry in the above video clip, I just used the lean angle sensor and calibrated it to the first corner, but had totally forgot that the lean angle sensor has a 2 second delay vs. the gps speed signal so it's pretty messy. Because my iPod screen is so broken it's really hard to preview the overlay and get everything perfect before the export. It was the first track day of the year and I lost my little checklist I made for doing the overlay, step 2 was to go into Harry's Lap Timer and adjust sensor sync to -2 seconds, lol.

Cool, will look into it. What's an alternative to the Ulti-Mate high accuracy 5gz GPS as it doesn't work on Android.

That Xiaomi looks like a good deal. I'm borrowing my friends GoPro 3 but this might be a good long term solution.

Can you do the sync or overlay via PC? I hate using the tiny screen of my phone.

Also, what mount are using for the phone?

Last edited:
Cool, will look into it. What's an alternative to the Ulti-Mate high accuracy 5gz GPS as it doesn't work on Android.

That Xiaomi looks like a good deal. I'm borrowing my friends GoPro 3 but this might be a good long term solution.

Can you do the sync or overlay via PC? I hate using the tiny screen of my phone.

You can use Qstarz 818XT with Harry's LapTimer on Android.

You can use DashWare on your PC. Import both the video from your camera and the data from Harry's LapTimer.
Harry's will produce single lap clips whereas DashWare will do the full length of the video. DashWare doesn't pick up the max and min speeds for straights and corners.

DashWare was recently purchased by GoPro and is currently free to download.

http://www.dashware.net/

Thanks for the tips!

You can use Qstarz 818XT with Harry's LapTimer on Android.

You can use DashWare on your PC. Import both the video from your camera and the data from Harry's LapTimer.
Harry's will produce single lap clips whereas DashWare will do the full length of the video. DashWare doesn't pick up the max and min speeds for straights and corners.

DashWare was recently purchased by GoPro and is currently free to download.

http://www.dashware.net/

What's an alternative to the Ulti-Mate high accuracy 5gz GPS as it doesn't work on Android.
Just look for Bluetooth GPS receivers, there's a list on Harry's site, some of them do 10hz too! Super nice.

Yep, you sure can! You can export the "overlay" into a "blue screen" video, then use video editing program to sync them (I use Adobe Premiere Pro CS6, add video filter, UltraKey, click the blue overlay background, done.).

That's a ram mount specific to the iPod Touch. I would recommend their X grip mounts, and they make one specifically for motorcycles: https://gasawaymotorsports.com/products/ram-mount-steering-stem-phone-holder

Great will check it out. The Qstar looks like well reviews for the price. Harry recommends the Dual which is 50% more. Which version of Harry's Laptimer are you using? The Petrohead or Grandprix?

Time to fix my old Nexus 4 up and RAM it to the bike.

Great will check it out. The Qstar looks like well reviews for the price. Harry recommends the Dual which is 50% more. Which version of Harry's Laptimer are you using? The Petrohead or Grandprix?

Time to fix my old Nexus 4 up and RAM it to the bike.
Whichever the most expensive one is.

Any idea what's the best way to mount not into the steering stem? I have a dampener on my ZX6 so can't do it the way you have.

Just look for Bluetooth GPS receivers, there's a list on Harry's site, some of them do 10hz too! Super nice.

[/COLOR]Yep, you sure can! You can export the "overlay" into a "blue screen" video, then use video editing program to sync them (I use Adobe Premiere Pro CS6, add video filter, UltraKey, click the blue overlay background, done.).

That's a ram mount specific to the iPod Touch. I would recommend their X grip mounts, and they make one specifically for motorcycles: https://gasawaymotorsports.com/products/ram-mount-steering-stem-phone-holder

Any idea what's the best way to mount not into the steering stem? I have a dampener on my ZX6 so can't do it the way you have.
It works just fine stuffed in the jacket pocket of your suit or in the trunk of the bike. You don't really look at it while riding (at least you shouldn't be) so it's not necessary to mount it up front. If you have a top mounted damper I've seen some pretty freaky mounts, this one bolts into place by replacing your front brake master cylinder bolts! Nuts :) http://ohioriders.net/index.php?/topic/90723-iphone-holder-for-sportbikes/?p=1171280

That's pretty crazy. I'll just keep it simple and put it into my pockets. I thought for the lean angle and data to register you'd need to keep it pretty secure or something. Thanks again!

That's pretty crazy. I'll just keep it simple and put it into my pockets. I thought for the lean angle and data to register you'd need to keep it pretty secure or something. Thanks again!
You can use the gps sensor (instead of the phones built in gyro) to calculate the lean angle (speed and arc through turn) if the device is mounted in spot that moves around (i.e. your body). Works well and is smoother than using the gyro, but doesn't account for good body position, etc.

You can use the gps sensor (instead of the phones built in gyro) to calculate the lean angle (speed and arc through turn) if the device is mounted in spot that moves around (i.e. your body). Works well and is smoother than using the gyro, but doesn't account for good body position, etc.

Securing it under the seat makes sense then (I'd like to see the gyro). I'll find some space behind my battery or something and save money on mounts. I'm going with the Qstarz BT-Q818XT as it's $100 tax-in locally form canadagps.com in case anyone is looking for one as well.

I had thought it would be nice to mount it out front to monitor lap times and what not, but I'll worry about that next season when I actually go faster.

Last edited:
Just wanna let people know that the RAM steering mount can fit right under the dampner. Make sure when you cut the rubber the whole assembly drops in. Then make sure you spend a while tightening down on the screw in order to crush the rubber well to secure.

9f195881b141db8bde93ec410cac767e.jpg

dedfd45c28091ae80b7c0931d5b91d8c.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom