Honda CB500X -Anybody have any reviews or thoughts on this bike | GTAMotorcycle.com

Honda CB500X -Anybody have any reviews or thoughts on this bike

Old Suzy

Site Supporter
I'm interested in replacing my cruiser with something more insurance friendly (my son gets listed as primary) as well as something better for multiple day (PA, W Virginia) touring. Wondering if anyone has any experience with this bike. I looked at a 650 V-Strom but found it very buzzy. Going to try to demo but a 30 minute ride is never really enough to get a good feel.

I'm interested in replacing my cruiser with something more insurance friendly (my son gets listed as primary) as well as something better for multiple day (PA, W Virginia) touring. Wondering if anyone has any experience with this bike. I looked at a 650 V-Strom but found it very buzzy. Going to try to demo but a 30 minute ride is never really enough to get a good feel.
Do the demo ride, you'll love it.

It's my only bike, haven't tried anything in the same segment.

It's an awesome commuter, great on gas.
Very forgiving. From what people tell me, very light.

I don't find it buzzy at all (and most reviews say the same)
It's a bike that will let you have fun without breaking laws (6k RPM in 6th grear when you're going 120-130kph out of a 8.5k RPM redline)
You're basically sitting up on it.
Very affordable.
Not easy to find used though in this market i found.
Insurance is good.

Haven't ridden on long rides with it so can't really tell you comfort-wise but on my daily commute (40m to 1h) there's absolutely no discomfort.

Some people say that its scooter-ish cousin the nc750x/700x is more pleasant...but its gearing/rpm range is a lot lower.

Fire away if you have any questions. I think there are a few others who own the bike on this forum as well. Check out http://www.cbr500riders.com/

Here are some vids you might want to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXDEA6zRI2Q
www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL1CzJN2Qss

Last edited:
LePhillou,
Thank you for your input and the links.

Fantastic machine....best demo ride I've had in a long time. Are you one up tho?? Bit light for two up

500 pages of info here

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=840842&page=501

It is a bike I'd consider to replace my KLR in Australia.
My only concern is if you are beefy then it needs better suspension. Light to average rider you will be fine.

I figure it's a constructor bike you can turn it in to almost anything...
'Enduro

CB500X3_zps87499758.jpg

Adventure

maxresdefault.jpg

Light tourer.....it's just plain fun to ride.

web-.jpg

I would also recommend checking out the Versys. Great all rounder good deals to be had on the used market. Wouldn't however recommend for two up.

I am biased as I own one.

I would also recommend checking out the Versys. Great all rounder good deals to be had on the used market. Wouldn't however recommend for two up.

To be honest, if the 500x hadn't come out I'd be on a versys.

As for the adventure version of it, rally raid in the UK has been developing an adventure add on kit for the 500x. It's going to be distributed my giant loop in North America and it's modular where you can get the 3 levels of kit where level one is minimal (suspension) and level 3 is full kit (wheels, suspension, etc)

Good bike.... I have one, and have found so far (in limited seat time) that it will suit my purposes for the time being.... being an efficient cruiser with cheap running costs (including insurance), and being lightweight and fun to ride. As long as you get used to shifting a bit more that your other bike it should suit you just fine.

I have the cb500x and love it. I have put around 8000km on it and lit had been great. I use it to commute and I have taken it out an a couple of 3-4 hour rides and it has been very comfortable. The seating position is very neutral and I enjoy being up above the cars a bit. Great bike with great insurance rates too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course, I am biased because the X'er is my first (and so far only) bike. I have the 2013 version, since Aug 2013 and Love it. check the cb500x forum http://www.cb500x.com/index.php?action=forum (not the CBR forum), for more reviews and comments. I use mine for commuting and its great in the City. I have not done any long distance yet. The only negative thing is the stock seat is hard on my bum after 30 mins ride. Otherwise, great all around bike, fuel-wise and insurance too.

I second this. I'm on a versys 650 now, cheap insurance, good fuel mileage, reliable and most important fun. Light(ish), I've done several Saturday rides around 700-900km in a day. No issues regarding comfort. I've only had it since March, but so far I like it more everytime I get on it.

The 500x is great value for money and does everything quite well. I commute daily and do long trips every other weekend. Handles stop and go traffic, freeways, and windy roads with equal aplomb. The competitors were versys and v-strom. Both great bikes but more expensive and much heavier so not the commuter/touring compromise I needed.

The 500x is great value for money and does everything quite well. I commute daily and do long trips every other weekend. Handles stop and go traffic, freeways, and windy roads with equal aplomb. The competitors were versys and v-strom. Both great bikes but more expensive and much heavier so not the commuter/touring compromise I needed.

Versys and vstrom are a bit more expensive, but not much. Versys wet weight is 454lbs, cb500x is 430lbs. Not sure that's "much heavier". Lol the versys also has roughly 20hp more to help carry all that extra bulk.

Versys and vstrom are a bit more expensive, but not much. Versys wet weight is 454lbs, cb500x is 430lbs. Not sure that's "much heavier". Lol the versys also has roughly 20hp more to help carry all that extra bulk.

Good point. Perhaps its the top-heaviness of the v-strom that made it feel less wieldy. Or my inexperience with larger bikes. Regardless, the 3 grand (iirc) in savings was a significant factor, though I spent ages looking for a good used v-strom.

Btw--no regrets, just pining because the versys and v-strom are better bikes but the cb500x suits me to a t.

Last edited:
Best bang for the buck, can do everything I want it to. Great for smaller guys because of lower seat height and weight. I tried the Versys and Vstrom as well and they were not for me. I haven't read much about anyone who ever regretted buying this bike yet. Hard to find used because of that and it is fairly new.

Did the demo ride at Ready on Friday. Really liked the CB500x and so did my son. Very easy to handle, pulls great through the gears. Hight not an issue for my son as he is 6 feet plus but myself being hight challenged really like that I could firmly plant my two feet down as apposed the the vstrom where I was tippy toeing it. Would think I would have the same issue with the taller versus.

Back
Top Bottom