Insuring a young rider | GTAMotorcycle.com

Insuring a young rider

suzuki2000

My son is seeking his bike license, will do the course etc. My wife was speaking with insurance about him being added to one of our bikes as an occasional. They are telling her that they have recently changed under writing so that he must be listed as the primary rider. I know that this has probably been used as a loophole for novice riders, but really?

Doing this they would want over 15 times what my wife currently pays for her bike now with just her on the policy. I get (don't agree that younger riders get a little hooped, but this is ignorant.

It is a smaller cruiser even, not even a sportbike

Shop around and find the least slimebag bunch of crooks to deal with. Insurance is a scam here and for young riders/drivers it sucks. I don't know how these rip off artists are allowed to bury people like that. How is anyone under 25 supposed to start a life when something like insurance is thousands upon thousands per year.

I'm in a simular position with 3 bikes on the road. My son get's nailed as a primary on the M50 (800cc). I have been informed that if I drop the cc's to 650 and below I will save a significant amount of money $1,500+ per year. Depending on what your wife is riding, you may even consider a 3rd smaller bike for your kid.

already in the works. I remember paying higher rates when I was young, but this is criminal.
I can remember my mum complaining putting me on occasional on one car costing 400 a year. I went on my own after that year at 17 to a 5.0 mustang and it was still under a grand. My first bike on the road was an interceptor 500 and it was somewhere and round 600 a year to which my older friends thought was expensive at the time. Kids today are screwed.

Not surprised. it's been that way for decades. New or young male rider is the highest premium. Will always have to pay the highest in the household. Will also affect your bike too unless you specifically state he is not to ride your bike. if he does it's not insured. I had to do that with even a spouse once, when one was over the age range and one was under.

From the insurer's point of view, its the only way they can protect themselves.

Under a single policy/bike, lets assume the new rider has a high chance of crashing, while the mature rider has a low chance of crashing. The client can claim that the occasional rider only rides 25% of the time, when they can potentially ride 100% of the time. There is no way for them to tell, and is difficult to prove/disprove that you're riding 25% of the time. The high risk rider has the potential to ride the bike 100% of the time, therefore the policy is rated as primary.

It sucks for the consumer if the high risk rider is actually riding occasionally but this is how insurance works.

While some people have gotten away with using loopholes for cheaper insurance, they're taking a pretty big risk of having their claim denied due to misrepresentation...but everyone has their own choices...

I am wondering if it is because you have three bikes? the insurer is going to assume, (albeit incorrectly), that you will ride one bike most of the time , your wife will ride another one most of the time and that leaves the "opportunity" for your son to ride the third bike most of the time.

That's the way it works. 3 riders with 3 bikes in household means each "can" be a primary rider of a bike. Same as cars.

Shop around and find the least slimebag bunch of crooks to deal with. Insurance is a scam here and for young riders/drivers it sucks. I don't know how these rip off artists are allowed to bury people like that. How is anyone under 25 supposed to start a life when something like insurance is thousands upon thousands per year.

Basically they start life without a bike.

My first bike (175cc) insurance was $50 a year, a few days pay four decades ago.

250cc was a big Japanese bike. Now it's a scooter.
R bikes were unheard of.
No medical benefits
No "No fault"
Wheelies were unheard of

WE, the bikers, wanted more power, more ego, more benefits. Insurance rates came in the package.

Back
Top Bottom