RE GEAR Stores. | GTAMotorcycle.com

RE GEAR Stores.

hedo2002

Site Supporter
Just thought I would post up some info. I have bought a few items from the Oshawa store and have visited the Lindsay store as well. I was in to see Alex, (owner/founder), this week at his store in Oshawa.

The Lindsay store was spun off as a franchise early last fall. They were to continue to use the re gear logos etc and sell used motorcycle gear. Apparently the new owners, (Lindsay store), decided to branch out and sell hunting gear and other items. They were advised this wasn't permitted under the franchise model.

So they rebranded themselves. But sales dropped, so they have decided to again rebrand themselves as "Recycled Gear" using the Re Gear logo and continuing to use the re gear signage and answering their phones as Re Gear.

Personally, I am not a fan of the franchise concept, BUT if you enter into an agreement then you MUST follow the rules. Now to me it is not proper to then try to "cash in" on the success of anothers work. I personnally, will NOT again shop the lindsay store. I am not telling others how or where to shop, but felt everyone should be aware of the way these new owners conduct their business.

BTW, Alex advised there is now also a Re Gear store in Kingston for those who are in Eastern Ontario.

For a new riders who need good quality gear at a reduced cost give them a look, support a LOCAL business. They may not have what you need now but they constantly turn over inventory and update kijiji.

I popped in there last week. Just a FYI he will not sell used helmets to new riders. Liability is just not worth it. So if you are looking for gear for the initial safety course you will have to shop elsewhere or buy a new helmet.

Impressed the hell outta me. Business ethics-who knew?

I popped in there last week. Just a FYI he will not sell used helmets to new riders. Liability is just not worth it. So if you are looking for gear for the initial safety course you will have to shop elsewhere or buy a new helmet.

Impressed the hell outta me. Business ethics-who knew?

True. Alex is also a rider. I saw him turn away a used helmet yesterday, was just not up to his standards. Not sure if he had them out last week but Oshawa now has a pretty good selection of new helmets, as well

Just thought I would post up some info. I have bought a few items from the Oshawa store and have visited the Lindsay store as well. I was in to see Alex, (owner/founder), this week at his store in Oshawa.

The Lindsay store was spun off as a franchise early last fall. They were to continue to use the re gear logos etc and sell used motorcycle gear. Apparently the new owners, (Lindsay store), decided to branch out and sell hunting gear and other items. They were advised this wasn't permitted under the franchise model.

So they rebranded themselves. But sales dropped, so they have decided to again rebrand themselves as "Recycled Gear" using the Re Gear logo and continuing to use the re gear signage and answering their phones as Re Gear.

Personally, I am not a fan of the franchise concept, BUT if you enter into an agreement then you MUST follow the rules. Now to me it is not proper to then try to "cash in" on the success of anothers work. I personnally, will NOT again shop the lindsay store. I am not telling others how or where to shop, but felt everyone should be aware of the way these new owners conduct their business.

BTW, Alex advised there is now also a Re Gear store in Kingston for those who are in Eastern Ontario.

For a new riders who need good quality gear at a reduced cost give them a look, support a LOCAL business. They may not have what you need now but they constantly turn over inventory and update kijiji.

Interesting... I ride by the Lindsay one a lot, but never stopped in. For sure I recognise the name from the Oshawa store.

Interesting... I ride by the Lindsay one a lot, but never stopped in. For sure I recognise the name from the Oshawa store.

That is what they are hoping that people will see the name and assume it is affliated. Sort of a bait and switch..lol

Can you ask them to keep an eye out for stuff? If you're looking for something specific?

I went by the Oshawa location late last season. Got a great deal on a pair of lightly used boots (half off retail).

Thanks Hedo - I drive by the Lindsay one every time I go to my cottage - won't be stopping in after-all.

Such a shame too. I know Alex who used to run the Lindsay store and now opened up one in Kingston .. great guy and local rider.

Where do they source the used gear? Is it only exchange or do they purchase gear outright?

A lot is sold on consignment. I think they take 50% of the profit.

A lot is sold on consignment. I think they take 50% of the profit.

The way I understand it, you bring something in and they give you a guaranteed selling price in writing of which you will receive 50%. If sold within 60 days you go in and get your money. If not sold you are asked to reduce the price (that they came up with) or take it back.

What Im not sure of...if they give you are price of $100 can they decide to sell it for $150 and you only get 50% of the 'original' price?

The way I understand it, you bring something in and they give you a guaranteed selling price in writing of which you will receive 50%. If sold within 60 days you go in and get your money. If not sold you are asked to reduce the price (that they came up with) or take it back.

What Im not sure of...if they give you are price of $100 can they decide to sell it for $150 and you only get 50% of the 'original' price?

Can't say for sure, but Alex is a pretty straight up fellow. All items are priced, so presumably the owner could walk in at any point and see the price being asked. Wouldn't look good, if they had agreed to $100, but the item was priced at $150.

But I do know, (because I heard Alex say it to someone who was in placing items on consignment). If the agreed price is $100, but Alex decides to give the purchaser a discount and sells it for $90, then the owner still gets their FULL share and the "discount\' comes out of the Alex's cut.

The concept of this place is cool, I hope they make it work and stick around. There are some things I wouldn't mind having (like a tank bag), but can't justify buying new because I'll only use it a few times. Or for things like jackets for new riders, where you really just need something decent to get you started and you can replace it later. I've been meaning to stop in for the better part of a year now, and will hopefully make that happen in the next few weeks.

Using the franchise name and logo illegitimately will catch up with them. It's a trademark, and if they don't have a right to use it, they can't legally do it. I'm sure if legal action hasn't been started, it won't be far off.

No west end locations? I have a bunch of virtually new stuff that I wouldn't mind unloading. 50% of whatever it sells for at RE GEAR is probably more than the time burglars of Kijiji or Craigslist would offer.

Not following the franchise model is asking for a lawsuit, imo. I don't know the details, but anyone who rides knows that any business relating to bikes is seasonal. Investigating what other retail lines are available within the franchise rules, seems like one of the first things that I would look into as a potential franchisee. Not judging, but if, for example, snowmobile gear was not allowed to help supplement the off season, I may have to think twice. (again, having no experience with ReGear). But in no way does that justify breaking contracts, or trying to affiliate themselves with the owners branding. Shady business practice imo, and probably gets passed down to the way they deal with customers.

No west end locations? I have a bunch of virtually new stuff that I wouldn't mind unloading. 50% of whatever it sells for at RE GEAR is probably more than the time burglars of Kijiji or Craigslist would offer.

^^ this

I cant justify the time and money to go to Oshawa and don't want to deal with kijiji. My stuff will just rot in the closet I guess.

Back
Top Bottom