Backpack increase risk of back injuries? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Backpack increase risk of back injuries?

As many said, depends on what is in it. Stuff bears i say less injury. A combination of razor blades and nitroglycerin I say more...

All joking aside, assumign it is not packed full of hard stuff, for example a full face helmet. I think we are OK.

I used to ride with a normal backpack... I was heading up the 404 and had all my gym gear in my bag, shoes, bottle, clothes. It was a bit windy out and i was tossed around a bit. Got further north and I could feel my back being bumped then it got lighter. I looked in the side mirror and saw my shoe tumbling down the highway. Last time I rode with a normal bag

I now ride with this
motorcycle-backpack-ogio.jpg

+1. I had a spill in the rain when the bike and I seperated exiting a curve and approaching an intersection. I was sliding on my chest through the intersection, and a couple of times that I remembered physics was trying to roll me into a tumble. This bag kept me from rolling and tumbling, and I slid to a stop. Today, I still use this bag, with the skid marks on the carbon fibre part.

I only use this backpack for inner city/short trips. For long trips and out of province travels with lots to carry, I use tailbags and bungee cords/net for the same reason that everyone who worries about increase risk of back injuries (Not entirely sure it's proven)

There.... hope this edit reduced the "struggling" some folks are having and hopefully save you time from googling.

Last edited:
Really struggling with this thread now that it's expanded from backpack to knapsack and tailbag. I googled knap, it makes no sense. I thought for sure nap would be more appropriate as one might carry sustenence and napping essentials in said bag/pack. Anyway, good thread including info and opinions.

I've always wondered....does carrying backpack increase risk of back injuries when you fall? I saw a rider on street today with a backpack that looks like fully stuffed... I always think its a bad idea . What do you think?

Avoid filling your backpack with exposed knives, used syringes without caps, and volatile high explosives and you should be okay.

Avoid filling your backpack with exposed knives, used syringes without caps, and volatile high explosives and you should be okay.
They still use TNT & dynamite? I thought everyone switched to plastic explosives & C4?

slide about 16-20 feet on my alpinestar jacket with the backhump, kept my head off the ground. I was thankful I had that hump..

I hate backpacks. It's the done thing here especially for sport bike riders. We used "pack racks" down under when we commuted and they were easily removed for when you needed to. I would rather bungy a bag down on the rear seat.
Reasons I don't like backpacks:

* shifting weight on corners
* more fatigue
* in a fall could cause you to tumble down the road rather than slide. Sliding maybe easier to control..
* get more sweaty with pack on back
* potential for zipper to open and loose items from bag

A mate in NZ crashed and slid on the road (full leathers) . I remember being amazes how he bag just melted in the friction.

NSA is listening, see you in Gitmo, it's nice this time of year.
First they would need to find explosives on me. You can't imprison someone for possessing knowledge

A back pack is not designed to reduce the energy of the impact on your spine, does it make it worse? not sure but don't think for a second that it is saving you from an injury

There are a couple of very recent inventions to cover this situation. ;)

One is saddlebags, which sit low on the bike, another is a tank bag (some of which convert to a backpack).

Makes me wonder how lazy and/or cheap people really are.
Way easier to just throw on a backpack. It already takes me too long to get ready to go on my bike putting on all my gear. I don't need to add strapping bags to my bike as one of them.

Unless you're not concerned about theft and just leave it on the bike all the time. That would be easier.

I remember being amazes how he bag just melted in the friction.
Textile gear can do the same thing but still many people love it. Actually, decent leather gear is getting hard to find, imo, unless you want a track suit.

First they would need to find explosives on me. YOU CAN'T IMPRISON SOMEONE FOR POSSESSING KNOWLEDGE

...and even if they could, you would have nothing to worry about. :p

I used to ride with a backpack when I commuted. Found it to be too uncomfortable and in no way did I feel like I was adding an extra layer of protection. I have since switched to a kriega tailbag.

I highsided recently with a full backpack at 60km/h when I went through some mud in the corner and flew off the bike when it caught traction again.

My backpack is one of those hiking ones with a metal plate in the back. I didn't have anything hard in it, it was just filled with clothes as I was going back from doing laundry.

I don't remember much of it, but I didn't suffer any great injuries from the backpack. Most damage was caused by the handlebars as I somehow managed to hit my chest with them. Now there's a handlebar-wide red mark on my chest. :lmao:
That and a sprained wrist.

Well, anyhow back to the question, I slid on my side at first and then went onto my back, I didn't feel the backpack at all during the whole slide.
I'd say if you ride in a tshirt it sure beats sliding on the pavement on your bare back since you have the backpack to protect you.

If you have gear on I'd say it doesn't add much, however I think the backpack saved my head from impact (and no marks on the helmet!) since it stuck out so much.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom