Lake Superior Circle Tour | GTAMotorcycle.com

Lake Superior Circle Tour

ifiddles

so my fiancé has a week off in July (last week) and while we planned on going to WV (Pocahontas County) we came across this a few days ago and are now considering this instead...anyone ever do this entire loop?...because of time constraints, we're going to trailer the bikes to Sault Ste. Marie and leave them there while we do the tour (already found a secure place to keep the trailer/vehicle)...what do you think?...I've never been that far up north ever and the pictures look awesome...any thoughts or feedback from those that have done this?

I've driven the north shore and can tell you that it's incredibly beautiful. I would love to take my bike through there one day.

North shore of Superior is nice. WV roads are nice. It's a tough choice. I think the better roads are in WV but its tough to beat the view of Superior

North shore of Superior is nice. WV roads are nice. It's a tough choice. I think the better roads are in WV but its tough to beat the view of Superior

I agree. I did both Superior north shore and WV last summer (2 separate trips). For scenery go north. For roads go south.

Our 80 cent dollar may help with the choice. Usually go south but looking at Canadian alternatives this year.

Our 80 cent dollar may help with the choice. Usually go south but looking at Canadian alternatives this year.

that's exactly why we're looking at staying here...we did quite the trip last summer...Cambridge to smith's falls...over to Calabogie, Barry's Bay, Bancroft, Huntsville, Bracebridge, Port Carling, Rosseau, Bala etc...hit a lot of the great roads - 509, 511, 508, 65, 35, 118...looking for something new I guess...was even thinking PA but again, we have the exchange rate to worry about...we can leave Friday July 24 after work, but have to be back by Sunday, August 2 as we have to pick fiancé's son from the airport...any suggestions are greatly appreciated...

Just google great roads in PA. There are a few websites devoted to good MC roads. They have them in handy categories - twisty, sweepers & scenic. There are a ton of good roads and neat things to see. 125? or 129? south from Shamokin is good for one but there are many others.

Lots of neat stuff to see as well - Kinzua bridge collapse, Centrailia (abandoned town with a coal seam still burning under it), the Austin dam ruins, the abandonned Eastern State Pen etc etc

If only the weekend anywhere near Renovo or State College is fine....144/44 are must do. Cherry Creek from 6 to 44 then go south on the 144 to Renovo....then continue on Renovo and try for Wykoff Run ( a bit hard from that end of it ). 555 if is fine if not up to the others.
144 is different depending on direction and lovely pavement in the last two years tho maybe not north of Cherry Creek.

State Route 144 - Pennsylvania

View Larger Map
Scenic road Twisty road Sweepers America's Byway
Galeton - Potters Mills

Distance/Driving time: 111 miles/2h, 36m

County(ies): Potter, Clinton, Centre

Download GPS file Instructions

Submit your comments on this road.

Rider Comments:

This road belongs on this list for sure! Twists and scenery abound. - Anonymous (2/19/12)
This road has it all. Scenic state forests, overlooks, twist and turns. It's 40 miles of 35-40MPH heaven. Even had an Elk cross up ahead of me this year. - Brian Loosz
This road is possibly one of the best roads in PA. Up the side of a mountain then through a state park and into a cute little town for gas. Very scenic views and all the twisties your little heart desires. - Marc McMaster

http://www.motorcycleroads.us/regions/pa_susquehanna.html

If longer then you can access good roads to the south as well.
this can help

pa_map.jpg

http://www.motorcycleroads.us/states/pa.html

Another good one is 125

tate Route 125 - Pennsylvania

View Larger Map
Scenic road Twisty road
Shamokin - Pine Grove

Distance/Driving time: 32 miles/1h, 3m

County(ies): Northumberland, Schuylkill

Download GPS file Instructions

Submit your comments on this road.

Rider Comments: [Open All][Close All]
Switch backs on mountains and scenic farm land. more...
This road is dangerous and is frequently patrolled by police and new riders. more...
If going south on 125, go straight through intersection at Good Spring instead of turning left on 125's continuation. more...
There are no attractions or especially noteworthy places to stop along the way – just challenging roads. more...
Route 125 is a great motorcycle road. more...
Nice road, twisty in places. Not traveled much. more...
Went with 4 friends on sporting bikes just yesterday. more...
A real treat to ride on, really keeps you busy. more...
This road gets 2 thumbs up! more...
Just a couple of add-ons to all the current info... more...
One of the best motorcycle or sports car roads in PA! PERIOD. more...
This was a fantastic ride. more...
This road is, in two words, 'driver's paradise'. more...
This road is off the hook. more...
SR 125 is (like most before me have said) a thrilling ride to say the least. more...
Fantastic road, some real great 15 mph corners. more...
A sporting road. Tight twisties, smooth black (2007 paved) asphalt, few centerlines. more...
I grew up in Hegins, and later moved to Gettysburg. more...
Rural farmlands with steep mountain climbs and descents. more...
Very exciting, quite a few 15 MPH (according to the speed limit signs) turns, most of which are uphill heading south. more...
This is a hidden treasure in Central Pennsylvania. more...
Lots of switchbacks, sweepers, fresh asphalt, and a bonus 3.5 mile straight section. more...
I went in the other direction from Pine Grove to Shamokin. more...
I am still wondering if it was all just a dream! more...
The North American Sportbike Road Registry has it right. more...

there is more detail in the comments from the riders

http://www.motorcycleroads.us/regions/pa_susquehanna.html

Most of the Good roads in PA can be done in 2 days. If you have a week to explore just head more south. Doesn't take long to hit WV and do tons of nice roads. Try to make a big loop out of it . You will find the north side of Superior is fantastic ride. The south side is so boring and flat and not much to look at.

Guys from tractionerag are organizing East Coast bike transport. It would work for your schedule - they pickup bikes from around GTA, and you pick it up in Halifax on 24th and drop it off again on the 31st.
Nice way of riding and seeing East Coast...

Back
Top Bottom