Integrated tailights- electrical problems, please help me bike guru's! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Integrated tailights- electrical problems, please help me bike guru's!

Whybaby

Alright, I'm going to tickle yours brains for a bit if you guys don't mind. Here's the deal, I ve had a integrated tailight since last season, and it's been great until today. The right signal stopped flashing, and now it only buzzes when I hit the right signal switch. Can you guys help me out?

Type of tailight : some no name brand off eBay with the yellow wires individualy

Things I ve done so far: I ve rewired the whole setup again

I ve rewired the right side with a new resistor, to make sure it wasn't the problem

I ve attached the right signal yellow wire (defective side) to the left turn signal switch to make sure it wasn't the led. It was not the led, cause the right side flashed when I hit the left turn switch.

I hope I made it clear for you guys to diagnose my problem!

Last edited:
Check your turn signal relay to ensure it is not defective. You need not rewire anything to troubleshoot the problem. You only need a multimeter to see if the turn signal light actually lights up.

I hate that aftermarket garbage.

You don't state make-model-year but 90+% of bikes use the same flasher relay for the left and right sides, the circuit only splits after it gets to the hand switch, so if it works OK for the left circuit but not for the right circuit then you can rule out everything in the circuit including the relay up to the switch, and if it works OK (but switched around) for the right circuit when you swap the wires around then that shows that the switch is also OK.

If your rewiring consists of twisting the wires together and taping them (Bad. Sketchy. Half-arse) then there is a fair chance that oxidation and corrosion on the wires themselves is preventing proper current flow. If you sanded any corrosion off and made sure there is good electrical contact then it should be OK for now but a long term fix is nothing short of using proper connectors, soldered wiring joints, etc.

If there is power getting to the lighting unit but nothing's happening, you know what that means. The cheap made-in-someplace-unmentionable garbage circuit boards and unsealed electrical enclosures feeding cheap LEDs has failed.

99% of aftermarket lighting gizmos of this sort are CRAP.

Tell us how you really feel BP.. :)

I understand why people put these on for looks but you do understand they are practically invisible right?

I understand why people put these on for looks but you do understand they are practically invisible right?

some are visible. I just hack up the stock stuff and make it smaller on my bikes.

Back
Top Bottom