License suspended - can m1 be obtained this summer anyway? | GTAMotorcycle.com

License suspended - can m1 be obtained this summer anyway?

adri

Site Supporter
Hey uber-brains,

A friend of mine had their license suspended (DUI). I told them to write their M1 before hand, so they would be saving on motorcycle insurance next year when they'd like to start riding.
That didn't happen. Now my friend is wondering if its possible for them to write their M1 now, and simply not ride, despite the fact that their license is suspended.

Is this possible, or is too late?

Thanks,

A.

Nope. Too late. Know a guy with a KLR650 that he only put 200kms on waiting for his license to be reinstated.

Hey uber-brains,

A friend of mine had their license suspended (DUI). I told them to write their M1 before hand, so they would be saving on motorcycle insurance next year when they'd like to start riding.
That didn't happen. Now my friend is wondering if its possible for them to write their M1 now, and simply not ride, despite the fact that their license is suspended.

Thanks,

A.

That wouldn't save them any money unless they bought & insured a bike before their suspension, also... It doesn't matter how long you hold your license.

That wouldn't save them any money unless they bought & insured a bike before their suspension, also... It doesn't matter how long you hold your license.

Yes it does. Years licenced is a big factor for some insurance companies, particularly after the first year. Rates will drop significantly.

...good luck insuring a bike with a DUI and suspension though. Gonna be paying out the *** now regardless.

Yes it does. Years licenced is a big factor for some insurance companies, particularly after the first year. Rates will drop significantly.

...good luck insuring a bike with a DUI and suspension though. Gonna be paying out the *** now regardless.

Yeah, but they don't give a crap as soon as you say you haven't been carrying insurance. It's a double edged sword. :)

m1 expires. unless you go into m2 and sit on that your wasting 20 some odd bucks and your time just to write the test. You cannot have gaps in experience, both in insurance and licensing.

Not possible. His LICENCE is suspended, (this means ALL classes). Otherwise those with a G licence would simply go get their M1. Once your under suspension, you can't obtain a "new class of licence" I once charged a 15 year old with impaired, (along with a slew of other charges). Now they don't have a licence to suspend. But the MTO "assigns" them a TEMP licence number, (no actual licence). When they turned 16 and went to obtain their licence, they were suspended immediately for the period prescribed by the statutes.

Plus as deejizzle just said even if your friend somehow "slipped under the radar", the M1 is only good for 90 days then a road test is required, during which time you have to show your DL. Suspended licence would be grounds for an automatic fail...lol

Hey uber-brains,

Thanks,

A.

I guess your your Bud will have to get an e-bike. Thats their only form of motorized transport they can ride legally on the road now.

I guess your your Bud will have to get an e-bike. Thats their only form of motorized transport they can ride legally on the road now.

Not even that. A DUI comes with a driving disqualification that covers operating any kind of motor vehicle.

An e-bike is a motor vehicle under federal law. Just as you can be charged with impaired operation of an e-bike because of that motor vehicle status, you would also be disqualified from operating one under an impaired driving disqualification.

I think the e-bike will be fine as long as the pedals aren't removed.

I guess your your Bud will have to get an e-bike. That's their only form of motorized transport they can ride legally on the road now.

Q5: Can I operate an e-bike if my driver's licence has been suspended?

It depends on the particular circumstances that led to your licence suspension. If your licence is suspended because of a conviction that has resulted in a driving prohibition under the Criminal Code of Canada, you cannot legally operate an e-bike.
If your driver's licence has been suspended under other circumstances, you should discuss your situation with a licensed legal practitioner before deciding to operate an e-bike.
source

There is also the lowly bicycle.

I think the e-bike will be fine as long as the pedals aren't removed.

Nope. Pedals on or off, under federal law it is still a motorized vehicle. Ontario's e-bike regulations exempt e-bikes from some provincial regulations that other motorized vehicles have to comply with, but these Ontario regs have no bearing at all on federal Criminal Code laws.

Hey uber-brains,

Thanks,

A.

I could only imagine the motorcycle insurance with a DUI.......

Perhaps your friend would be better served with dealing with the next few years of ramifications, (insurance, driver's licence issues. potential drinking issues), first BEFORE he considers getting his M1 and a bike. I would think the desire to get on a bike should take a backseat for a few, (if not more), years.

Perhaps your friend would be better served with dealing with the next few years of ramifications, (insurance, driver's licence issues. potential drinking issues), first BEFORE he considers getting his M1 and a bike. I would think the desire to get on a bike should take a backseat for a few, (if not more), years.
Exactly this. Maybe take some to reflect on what an idiotic choice that was and how if made with a motorcycle would likely end up very very bad.

Was going to say the same thing. Obviously we don't know the full details on this one and the rest of your friend's history, but if getting pulled over and a DUI is common for him...then maybe a bike is not the best thing for him to be thinking about atm.

Thanks for the info/feedback everyone.

It's neat to see everyone assume that my friend is male.

The actual event happened about two years ago, but due to circumstances (not the court's fault, so an 11b wasn't possible), the actual date of conviction was about a month ago. The events have been looming over his/her head the entire time and he/she has never mixed booze and vehicles since. Not even a single drop. Unfortunately, this means little in the grand scheme of things (as it shouldn't).

Thanks again! :)

True. Saw the local piss tank get nailed on his ebike while suspended.
Ha.. I didn't know about this. I used to see a ton of ebikes on the danforth a few years ago outside local establishments

Back
Top Bottom