Touring tips - the little things | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Touring tips - the little things

Carry a pack of Kleenex Wet Wipes to clean your visor and helmet (bugs)

Becareful as anything but micro fibre will scratch a visor.

I like to clean mine in the washroom sink using soap and my finger tips to get bugs off.
WHat surprises me is the junk that accumulates on the inside of the visor from the airflow.

Then dry with micro-fibre cloth. Inner sun shade a bit trickier but mind the non-microfibre cleaning especially when drying.

•••

NFQ - I'm not fond of the Go Cruise style.

I like the Kaoka bar end - looks good - have one on the Burgman

2ojlbabo6y.JPG

Looks factory and lasts forever.
No so cheap.

and the Vista Cruise...really easy to use. Have it on the Vstrom.

So easy on and off and you can set the friction level

VC-07-4041a.jpg

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/v...ric-cruisers-with-1-inch-bars/part/VC-07-4041

inexpensive

Yeah I like the Vstrom....no beauty queen but it works and everything is accessible. Vista Cruise fits right in ....as do the Jesse cases.
I've nick named mind the Mule.

All I need to do is hang a pick and a gold panner off the back :D

P1260008.JPG

Ultilitarian comes to mind...

P1260007.JPG

P1260003.JPG

Palm throttle and Vistacruise on the right.
iPhone holder - like it as it swings around in various directions to avoid glare and easy on off.

Then the Oxford heated grips. I get sore hands ( one reason I bought the Burgman 650 in the first place ) and having them warmed really helps.

I really like a palm throttle ( cramp buster ) even when I don't flip the Vista cruise on.
Vista so easy to use and set the friction level.
Kaoaka a little harder to use but works well.
Both can be moved while on which I like ( BrakeAway cannot )

Last edited:
I use ice from vending machines at McDonalds to drop into my Camel Back to keep it cool

^^good idea

I gas up at night before parking the bike - allows for a long, uninterrupted ride to start the morning.
I will keep a copy of important documents, spare keys and some petty cash hidden on my bike - accessible if my keys or wallet goes missing
Last trip I used hotelcoupons.com to source a cheap motel to stay each night, booking a place around 4pm that I could reach around 6-7pm
I've also brought old clothes and tossed them as the trip progressed, allowing me space to buy souvenir clothes if I wanted.

Shane/ MacDoc, what's the "subway" trick?

I think it's buying a 12 inch sub. eating half at subway and then half later in the day

1) A tennis ball with the top cut off, fastened to the bars with a piece of sponge stuffed in it is great for cleaning bugs off your glasses / visor on the fly - just add a bit of water to keep it moist as required. The sponge also works great for mopping off rain drops or heavy fog. Stole that one from Michelle Duff the former GP racer.

2) Wooden bead seat covers really do work - there is a reason they're used by cabbies the world over.

3) A folding camp chair is ALWAYS worth the weight/packing penalty if you're rough camping.

4) Good coffee can be made by simply adding the grounds to boiling water. After it's boiled away some let the pot sit briefly before pouring (less than a minute will do) and the grounds will sink to the bottom. No strainer or screen required.

5) Generally speaking in a group the amount of riding you do is inversely proportional to the size of the group.

Last edited:
I think it's buying a 12 inch sub. eating half at subway and then half later in the day

But then I'll be half hungry all day! :(
I use a kaoko throttle lock as well, love it.

I gas up at night before parking the bike - allows for a long, uninterrupted ride to start the morning.

Also good to prevent condensation. PA mountains can swing from 30 daytime to 4 at night - good recipe for water in an empty tank.

Mind you filling up at Sheetz gives you morning fuel and single source espresso plus a yummy cinnamon bun. :D

Who tf only eats half a sub? That's crazy talk.
Also probably why most of you guys are in better shape than I.
Don't get mayo on the sub, it will spoil in the heat.

Who tf only eats half a sub? That's crazy talk.
Also probably why most of you guys are in better shape than I.
Don't get mayo on the sub, it will spoil in the heat.

I'm terrible with Subway... I always get Mayo AND ranch........ if my fiancee is with me... it's LIGHT mayo heh heh ;)

I don't really have any tips to add... I put on a lot of KM's going nowhere it seems.

I eat 1/2 a sub so I don't get sleepy an hour or so after hitting the road again. I find that small frequent meals is better when riding long distances than a few larger ones. And my first long trip I stopped at different places only to be disappointed all the time and not knowing where the good cheap eats were to be found. At least subway can be somewhat healthy and in the states they have better choices for toppings.

this sounds lame but i use subway for my vegetable intake. i like cheap McDonalds burgers and what not, but they dont have much for vegetables

Fully loaded veggie sub with ONLY mustard. C'mon people!!

I also use a GoCruise, it's simple and effective. I have a gel seat pad which has helped, an airhawk is next I hope. I also use the frame sliders on the front to rest my legs straight out on. It must look ridiculous but it sure is nice to stretch out my aching knees from time to time.

Last edited:
A pair of latex gloves are also really handy. Keep your hands dry and they cut the wind. A life saver if you don't have heated grips and it rains.

McDonald has French fries- French fries are potatoes- potatoes are vegetables- vegetables are healthy- McDonalds is healthy.

When my former buddy was healthy enough to go on weeklong trips, I'd use the ear plugs for sleeping at night due to his wicked snoring.

Back
Top Bottom