Touring tips - the little things | GTAMotorcycle.com

Touring tips - the little things

MacDoc

Site Supporter
Was just thinking how often I use my ear plugs at home to get a really solid night's sleep.......as i'm just about to do soon.

I do the same on the road.
I get a much deeper and more refreshing sleep.

Now not everyone can wear them long enough but for me - it's a sure fire way for me to get rested when touring...no matter how close to the freeways :D

Got a tip ...post it up.
Yeah yeah Shane .....the Subway trick is brilliant ;)

Buffs......use them as helmet liners, throat warmers, bandanas, soaked with water in summer to cool neck while riding......also go to fancy dress party as a pirate if you like.

I use use a core cooler when it's hot.

Buffs......use them as helmet liners, throat warmers, bandanas, soaked with water in summer to cool neck while riding......also go to fancy dress party as a pirate if you like.
What kind of pirate goes to a party in the buff?

Rok Straps. Way better than your average bungee.

Was just thinking how often I use my ear plugs at home to get a really solid night's sleep.......as i'm just about to do soon.

I do the same on the road.
I get a much deeper and more refreshing sleep.

Now not everyone can wear them long enough but for me - it's a sure fire way for me to get rested when touring...no matter how close to the freeways :D

Got a tip ...post it up.
Yeah yeah Shane .....the Subway trick is brilliant ;)

You can ride Burgman's while sleeping??!?

I'm getting one.

:D

I've fallen asleep on my bike before. 23hr days is not for me anymore.

Tip: How about saving last use undergarments/socks for the first part of a tour. Have last use and toss. No need to wash and dry em for at least the first part of the tour. Keep the regular use stuff for the last part of the tour.

Carry a pack of Kleenex Wet Wipes to clean your visor and helmet (bugs)

I like keeping a damp viscose rag (shamwow, or similar) in the tank bag so I can reach it while moving and get the bugs before they glue themselves onto the visor. And keep a second one damp in a zip lock for when the first one dries out.

Oh, and the original CrampBuster/ThrottleRocker thing (the non-velcro kind) is probably the best $10 I've ever spent.

I like keeping a damp viscose rag (shamwow, or similar) in the tank bag so I can reach it while moving and get the bugs before they glue themselves onto the visor. And keep a second one damp in a zip lock for when the first one dries out.

Oh, and the original CrampBuster/ThrottleRocker thing (the non-velcro kind) is probably the best $10 I've ever spent.

I don't leave home without it. Went and picked up a spare just in case too. I'm looking at throttle lock solutions for those boring 300+km of slab, but haven't decided on what (or how much) I want to spend. Any real world feedback on what works best?

Buffs for your neck so you don't get sunburned on the back of your neck also.

Bungee nets are awesome, they can pretty much hold anything to your bike.

I just lay brown paper towels saturated with water on the visor at stops. 5 mins and they are all loosened up. Turn the same 2 towels three times over to minimize chances of scratching, and a final wipe up with a microfiber. Flawless.

I think I've mastered 2-wheel yoga for long stints. Combined with standing on the pegs, I really only need to stop for pee breaks and coffee.

Camel packs are pretty useful for drinking on the go.

The choke on my bike will enable me to chug along at close to 60km/h.
And if you're super lazy, clutchless shifting will free that left hand for other activities.. like catching butterflies or __________.

Thin microfiber yoga towels are also amazing. Packs the size of a coke can, but absorbs a tonne--all while drying out ridiculously quickly. Amazing camping towel.

Last edited:
I'm looking at throttle lock solutions for those boring 300+km of slab, but haven't decided on what (or how much) I want to spend. Any real world feedback on what works best?
One of the main drawbacks to the throttle locks is that they often don't totally lock the throttle, so as you ride on the highway, the higher rpm's and vibrations of the engine and road slowly undo the hold of the throttle lock. I actually don't mind this, because usually all I need is a few seconds or a minute's rest for my wrist and then I'm fine. Also since they are a manual throttle lock and not electronic, this means that if you set our lock while travelling on level ground, you go slower while going uphill and faster going downhill.
That said, I use a few different types. I have the bar end types - like Kaoko - and they work well once you get the hang of it. They are somewhat bike specific and do a decent job of holding the throttle in place while not looking too obtrusive and are usually around $100 used or up to $200 new. I used mine last on a trip to Deals Gap and beyond which was around 6000km. I could not have done a 12 hr day on the slab without it.

I have also used thumb operated throttle locks like the vista cruise and like the operation of these more than the bar end types, but they eat up about a cm of grip width which might not work for some with bigger hands or shorter grips. It's usually much cheaper than the bar end types at around $60 new and $30 used. I tried this one out on my last trip which was around 8000km and I started to really like it as the trip went on. It's ugliness fits my bike well.

Thanks Shane!

Back
Top Bottom