Touring tips - the little things | Page 11 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Touring tips - the little things

At one time I had time to ride and clean my bikes meticulously, now I hardly have time for one..... which one do I choose?

Thanks. I just went for a long ride in the rain and my old boot covers are starting to come apart after about 10years of use. Those look better. I know they aren't meant for walking in, but what is the bottom/sole of those things like? Sometimes when going on long trip in the rain there is some walking to do. The old ones I had were from MEC and they were cycling boot covers and they were a lot tougher on the bottom than everywhere else, so they lasted well.

Tip: make photocopies of all your id's, keys and then place in a zip-loc bag with about $50 cash in it for emergencies. Find a spot somewhere on your bike that you can secure it to, where you can access with just your hands.

Last edited:
If not already mentioned. Walk with 2 keys. Now that I have a key problem makes me think how important keys are

If not already mentioned. Walk with 2 keys. Now that I have a key problem makes me think how important keys are

Good advice, I carry a spare set of keys for bike and luggage in a hidden pocket of my jacket. Came in super handy when my topcase key broke.

Save a PDF copy of the owners manual to your phone. You can download them from BMW and others.

Special tools:
Make certain you have any bike specific tools in your kit. A friend had to flatbed his Multistrada 4 hours to a Ducati dealership because he could not remove the rear wheel without the special wrench.

Thats a good idea.. When touring with someone else better to swap the spare keys with each other. Make sure the spare keys include not only your bike but anything else that needs a key like luggage.

..Tom

Spare luggage keys are hard to come by tho :(

There is a guy in Norval that will cut motorcycle keys for $5 cash on Saturday morning. Up Winston Churchill turn left at Norval ....it's on the left a few houses down....there will be a key cutting truck in the driveway. He has a wide range of blanks.

He cuts them and then tests them in the bike. A little bit of plastic tubing on the end of the spares keeps them from tearing your pocket.

......Tip: make photocopies of all your id's, keys and then place in a zip-loc bag with about $50 cash in it for emergencies. Find a spot somewhere on your bike that you can secure it to, where you can access with just your hands.

Stick the paperwork and $ in your helmet under the liner(I always take my helmet with me). I used to zip tie the spare key somewhere hidden...wrapped in tape so it looks like just part of the wiring harness.

My bike is keyless, so I tend to just leave it in my jeans pocket for daily. On a trip I bring a spare plastic key that has an RF transmitter for starting the bike in case I lose the fob. I just keep it tucked away in a pocket I never use in my jacket.

Back
Top Bottom