Touring tips - the little things | Page 9 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Touring tips - the little things

Yup. Make that CAA plus to cover extended towing of motorcycle as well as your medical. It covers AAA in the US.

CAA plus will not cover towing your M/C in Pennsylvania through AAA. Learned that from bitter experience. CAA did reimbuse my tow but it wasn't from AAA. M/C towing is provided if you have RV coverage. Same applies for New York.

Also CAA+ only covers the first 200kms of towing. Any additional mileage will be charged back to you by the actual tow company that picks you up.

One of our group broke down in Perth, about 350 kms away from home. We towed him back in two stages using two different CAA+ cards, first to Trenton and then another tow back to TO.

I had a similar situation .....

You have up to 4 tows and CAA does not really care how they are used.

I got towed to the motel from the wilds of PA.

Then to the dealer for the tire the next day.

One was about 140 km and the other about 180 km.

AAA did it and I got my money back from CAA+

•••

PA is a mess of independent tow companies and AAA gives you different answers depending on who you end up reaching.
Bottom line ...pay whoever and CAA+ reimburses you.

Last edited:
CAA also offers what they call a Premier membership which includes one tow of up to 320km but also has something called trip interruption coverage which apparently pays up to $600 when you are outside your tow zone. I haven't had to use it, but I figured that is what I'd try to use if I broke down up near the James Bay or some place remote.

https://www.caasco.com/Membership-and-Savings/Membership-Cards?membershipcard=3

Road Trip Interruption Assistance (up to $600 CAD for breakdown)7

7 Road Trip Accident Assistance and Road Trip Interruption Assistance are not insurance benefits but assistance services only. Assistance is applicable only to planned leisure trips 200 km or more from the Member’s primary residence, which include at least one overnight stay. Assistance is provided by World Travel Protection Canada Inc., an independent contractor. Certain restrictions and limitations may apply. Benefits and service provider are subject to change without notice. CAA recommends that Members purchase Emergency Travel and Medical Insurance when travelling outside the province for protection against the high cost of a medical emergency.

Edit... they also have something called Vehicle Return Benefit... but the details are lacking on that one. I should call them before my next trip to see what that is.

Last edited:
I've had to use get towed/gas a few times in the states, always paid out of pocket and then reimbursed through CAA. Never had an issue getting my money back

Edit... they also have something called Vehicle Return Benefit... but the details are lacking on that one. I should call them before my next trip to see what that is.

I can't remember the details, but I think that's what got my bike back from VA after my crash. Paid for a U-Haul and the gas to drive the 1200km from Lexington, VA back to home. Either way, between CAA+ and CAA Medical, it paid the above bill (I think $7-800)

I used CAA once in The Badlands.
Ran out of gas
Guy came out with a cherry can and put it in my bike.
I followed him to Wall SD and filled up his cherry can and gave him $20
(he dropped everything to come out and help me)
CAA covered the rest....I didnt have to pay anything else.

TRaveling without a cell phone is not only "liberating" but irresponsible to yourself and your partner, a small crash, broken back or even more serious and how the hell are you going to call 911, specially if you are lost in one of your adventures?

Having a GPS and a phone handy does not mean that you have to use it, like you said, to each their own.

In any long trip I carry 3 GPS devices. My phone with Copilot GPS, I carry an ipod as backup with also with Copilot GPS and a Garmin oregon 450 in case something happens to the other 3. I end up using all 3 on my last trip when my cell phone got wet, my ipod also got wet and stopped working and fortunately I have the garmin, it took me home after 2 days of uninterrupted rain.

You know you do not have to have your GPS actually navigating right? Unless I am on a trip, my nav is showing me other information, i.e. speed, temp, etc.

Just as easy to get lost and explore with a GPS, in fact it is more enjoyable as when you are done and just want to get home, you click a button and off you go. Each to their own, but a GPS does not hold you back from any of that, it is how you use it.

Last edited:
How about carrying a whistle. Lost in the woods, side of the road in the bushes, etc. 3 blasts is the international signal for help.

TRaveling without a cell phone is not only "liberating" but irresponsible to yourself and your partner, a small crash, broken back or even more serious and how the hell are you going to call 911, specially if you are lost in one of your adventures?

Having a GPS and a phone handy does not mean that you have to use it, like you said, to each their own.

In any long trip I carry 3 GPS devices. My phone with Copilot GPS, I carry an ipod as backup with also with Copilot GPS and a Garmin oregon 450 in case something happens to the other 3. I end up using all 3 on my last trip when my cell phone got wet, my ipod also got wet and stopped working and fortunately I have the garmin, it took me home after 2 days of uninterrupted rain.

Sorry but I can't live in your bubble wrapped, sanitized for your protection kind of world.

Next time you are low on fuel on a Sunday in the remote areas of Pennsylvania let us know how that works for you.

Map does squat for you if you don't know where you are.

I explore all the best roads for motorcycles in an area ( TomTom WInding roads app does it for me ) and I have no idea what they will be until I'm on them .....but I do know they lead in the general direction I want to go and if something else catches my eye.....away I go..

and I always know how to get to the nearest town or fuel and how far it is.

When it comes to riding in remote areas....doing the seat of the pants thing can get you in trouble right quick. A map is useless unless you know where you are.

Getting dark in PA, deer are stirring, gonna rain....and you have no idea where you are....

not my idea of "liberating".

Wow! Is everybody this scared to live a little? MacDoc and zx600 would apparently have a coronary if they traveled with me. But trust me they wouldn't be invited.

Sorry but I can't live in your bubble wrapped, sanitized for your protection kind of world.

I agree with "ZX600" He is not bubble wrapped. Out of necessity. I use a GPS for my pleasure. Music. Plus obvious reasons. Having a phone is a 100% required for me and many others. In any emergency I/we need to call the Emergency Services. Keep in touch with Family.
Plus if Family need to call in cases of Emergency.
Plus many other reasons which make common sense.

I agree with "ZX600" He is not bubble wrapped. Out of necessity. I use a GPS for my pleasure. Music. Plus obvious reasons. Having a phone is a 100% required for me and many others. In any emergency I/we need to call the Emergency Services. Keep in touch with Family.
Plus if Family need to call in cases of Emergency.
Plus many other reasons which make common sense.

Ok I'll order extra bubble wrap for you too.

Ok I'll order extra bubble wrap for you too.

That is very kind of you. Thank you.

Please send it to, " The Department of Who Cares"

Thank you Never-The Less. Very nice of you to spend money on us. If you wait a little while longer I am sure there will be other riders respond to you.
Free Bubble wrap. May I pick a colour? Or will you know what and how we think. Judgemental much?

https://www.vat19.com/item/bubble-wrap-suit-costume

Just keep in mind that if you travel through Ontario, cell phone coverage can be sporadic, especially on the nice twisty roads, even in the south.

Ever heard of the story where the guy crashed at the dragon & they couldn't find him for days?

Wow! Is everybody this scared to live a little? MacDoc and zx600 would apparently have a coronary if they traveled with me. But trust me they wouldn't be invited.

What a crock...you're not "living dangerously":rolleyes: you're iiving in some luddite dreamtime.
I've been riding for 50 years and change with the times and technology - not stuck in some 1950s time warp.

My riding is and always has been "go where the wind blows me".

The new tech lets me ride the best mcycle roads in an area I know nothing about without poring over maps by candlelight and has brought delightful discoveries as I ride them.

You're just a CAA liability waiting to happen.

You tackle outback Australia with your attitude ....you don't survive long.....it's nothing like namby pamby s Ontario.

Last edited:
Ever heard of the story where the guy crashed at the dragon & they couldn't find him for days?
That guy wished he was bubble wrapped before the crash :)

Not sure I would equate being lost or running out of fuel as "living".

If your lost, you are going to have to find your way home, if you want to make it difficult for yourself, be my guest. I have traveled without maps, paper print out maps, etc. I look back at those trips with fondness, but no more then any trip I have done with a GPS. If you want to enjoy the not knowing where you are and not knowing where fuel may be, then more power to you, I prefer to enjoy the ride and not think about those things.

Timtune remind me of this video.... don't know why

[video=youtube;C8DWu2lJs7Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8DWu2lJs7Q[/video]

Back
Top Bottom