Touring tips - the little things | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Touring tips - the little things

When packing clothes for a trip, buy some cheap extra large ziplock bags at the dollar store and put your clothes in them. Sit on the bag to press out the air and zip the bag. It is incredible how much room you can make with this technique. The trick is not to over load the bag.

Subway is in every Podunk town in the U.S. They're much more prevelant than any other chains and they have some relatively healthy choices on the menu. I usually get a 6 inch for lunch but wouldn't want to eat the same thing for supper especially if I'm going to be having it for lunch again the following day. I have a small soft cooler which use to carry an apple, yogurt, and some cream in. I put the ice pack in the freezer section of the motel room fridge at night and things keep cool all day. I also carry a small container of coffee and use a napkin for a filter to brew my morning java using the coffee maker in the hotel room. I can't stand the crap they supply so I carry my own and have real cream to put in it instead of the Coffee-Mate they supply. My morning coffee is something I cherish and will not compromise.

I've used a Kaoko throttle lock for a few years and while it provides a bit of rest here and there, I found it wasn't effective keeping a steady speed unless I'm on flat land. I recently did a Tuneboy ECU flash on my Multistrada and added electronic cruise control. It uses the bikes starter button so no hardware is needed. Once you try it you'll never go back to a throttle lock, it's amazing for riding the slab.

You can use subway to dry your gloves out to. Years ago a friend got married up in Parry Sound on the May 24 weekend. A few of us road up there for the weekend. The ride back was raining and cold. We stopped along the way in a subway and asked if we could put our gloves above on of their ovens. They happily obliged and we had nice warm dry gloves by the time we were done with lunch.

I always bring cloths I am ready to toss on trips. Every night I toss what I was wearing. Eventually have more room, not that I need it but less weight is always nice.

I was close to buying that chair, but I found it to be wobbly for me... I am about 175lbs and it seemed stable enough if I stayed still, but if moved around a bit (such as I might be after a few drinks) it felt like it wasn't that stable for me... so I am still looking for the perfect very portable chair.

so I am still looking for the perfect very portable chair.

I happen to have one for sale.

Not cheap tho - I have with the extensions.

main.jpg

Amazing comfort.
very sturdy
packs small

http://www.kermitchair.com

I have not tested this but if you're going to a really remote area and need to carry extra gas, the coffee bladders that tim hortons use seem to be an acceptable replacement. I picked this up from advrider.

I was close to buying that chair, but I found it to be wobbly for me... I am about 175lbs and it seemed stable enough if I stayed still, but if moved around a bit (such as I might be after a few drinks) it felt like it wasn't that stable for me... so I am still looking for the perfect very portable chair.

It's fine promise....I'm 200lbs and I was rocking in it. I also bought the Joey camp chair too and it's good but slightly bigger when packed. No offence Mac Doc but that chair of yours is a bit on the heavy side. These chairs weigh a couple of pounds max and pack down to next to nothing. I can fit that thermorest chair in the bottom of a pannier.

The great thing about the chair jc100 posted is that it is literally the size of a waterbottle when packed... I could easily fit two of them locked in my top or side case for me and my wife.

The one Mac Doc posted still has the longest dimension of 22" meaning it cannot fit in any of my cases. I also can't span the rear seat if my wife is along, so I'm not sure where I'd carry it, except for possible strapped to the outside of a case or something.

designed for motrocycling not back packing and it's why they last. TANSTAAFL

Lifetime warranty with the thermarest I believe....fast and light....designed for anything. I just ordered the thermarest ultralight cot too which also packs down to a very small size and weighs around 5 lbs. My older bones deserve a bit of comfort. Great reviews on the thermarest cots and cheaper than the other ultralights out there.

Sure I could pack heavier stuff, more bulky etc but then I'd be sacrificing handling on the bike and also space. The fast and light stuff is made very well. Shock corded aluminum are the main stress bearing components with new industrial plastics making the joints and coated strong synthetic fabrics make the seating surfaces. The thermarest chair is truly a little design marvel actually. Plus I'm a tech nerd and I like these things.

Lifetime warranty with the thermarest I believe....fast and light....designed for anything. I just ordered the thermarest ultralight cot too which also packs down to a very small size and weighs around 5 lbs. My older bones deserve a bit of comfort. Great reviews on the thermarest cots and cheaper than the other ultralights out there.

Sure I could pack heavier stuff, more bulky etc but then I'd be sacrificing handling on the bike and also space. The fast and light stuff is made very well. Shock corded aluminum are the main stress bearing components with new industrial plastics making the joints and coated strong synthetic fabrics make the seating surfaces. The thermarest chair is truly a little design marvel actually. Plus I'm a tech nerd and I like these things.

How are you with knots? Clark's Jungle Hammock is a damn fine night of sleeping. Slept briefly on a friend's, mega comfy, mega light, packs smaller than anything else. I just can't convince myself to drop $500+. If I needed to use it more often, or if I went overnight trips to go racing, it would be a no brainer.

How are you with knots? Clark's Jungle Hammock is a damn fine night of sleeping. Slept briefly on a friend's, mega comfy, mega light, packs smaller than anything else. I just can't convince myself to drop $500+. If I needed to use it more often, or if I went overnight trips to go racing, it would be a no brainer.

I have friends who are into super light camping and swear by the hammocks. There's one with a cover etc and you put your gear underneath it and use it like a minimalist tent. Not for me at my age, I'm still waiting for the collapsible "hotel in a bag" that weighs 5 lbs sets up in 5 mins and comes with room service a jaccuzzi and a sleep number bed.

I have friends who are into super light camping and swear by the hammocks. There's one with a cover etc and you put your gear underneath it and use it like a minimalist tent. Not for me at my age, I'm still waiting for the collapsible "hotel in a bag" that weighs 5 lbs sets up in 5 mins and comes with room service a jaccuzzi and a sleep number bed.

Hammock for two + wilderness = se_ swing.
Press the right buttons for ya you goof?
;)

I kept waiting for another deal on the Joey chair but it never came up...

The Joey can be found at Dual Sport Plus for about sixty bucks. I've also seen it at Sail.

TCJOEYJ-2T.jpg

Speaking of Joeys (although a completely different kind), that reminds me that 2undr's underwear is worth a mention in this thread: http://2undr.com/ca/technology

They are just fancy boxer briefs, but the "Joey pouch" is well designed and keeps your manbits from sticking to your leg on hot days, or shifting and getting jammed against the tank unexpectedly.

Royal Distributing carries them

Back
Top Bottom