Touring tips - the little things | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Touring tips - the little things

I do not beleive that plexus is actually pledge. The guys I tour with used to use plexus for their visors and motul bike cleaner at about $30 for each can and watch me do everything with the home depot furniture cleaner. They switched now. LOL
The furniture polish also has a rust inhibitor added so if you don't get it out of every nook and cranny don't worry about it.
You just have to let it sit to get the bugs off and do a good job of buffing it off your visor.
Like I said though, wasps are attracted to it.

Regards
Dave

He found some actually quite nice with a bid and shoulder straps.....better than mine
...no Canadian tire in Montana...boots he will live with wet feet.
At least he has wool socks now so he will be warm if wet

He got some waterproofing for leather ...will see how it works.

we both got suspenders and should have done a long time ago.....what a difference.

I'll do a summary of what worked and what didn't on this 24 day jaunt. From SENA 20s to socks.

He found some actually quite nice with a bid and shoulder straps.....better than mine
...no Canadian tire in Montana...boots he will live with wet feet.
At least he has wool socks now so he will be warm if wet
2 plastic bags if you had to in the boots no? I've always been told that's a quick fix to get you somewhere dry

Don't forget to hydrate when you ride, you could be thirsty without realizing it because of the chill factor of the wind.

If you're travelling with your passport don't forget to put it in a small ziploc bag

Don't forget to hydrate when you ride, you could be thirsty without realizing it because of the chill factor of the wind.

If you're travelling with your passport don't forget to put it in a small ziploc bag
Nexus cures that
good idea if you have

a) bags

b) time

c) know your boots AREN'T waterproof.

:D
I know mine aren't so when I'm gone for a few days the just in case bags are packed away :D

Watch the weather.

I've found this the very best real time radar.

http://radar.weather.gov/ridge/Conus/full_loop.php

you can burrow in anywhere...

We're in Gillette which has a clear forecast for today.

so rather than get an early start we will dawdle a bit and maybe do some laundry and stay behind this small patch of wet.
Rapid CIty is planned for an oil change if we can find a dealer willing to do it on short notice.

Last edited:
Great thread.

My tips:

1. Others have suggested using a soft cooler. I got a beer cooler (because beer) and I would fill ziploc bags with ice at the beginning of the day, usually at a McDonald's or a gas station, and put one or 2 into the cooler in my top case. I would then slide into a WalMart if there was one available or a grocery store for a large salad. The salad comes out of its' plastic container and into a large ziplog bag in the cooler, with a plastic fork. That's lunch for me whenever I decide to stop. It makes sure I eat something that's not total crap, and I can eat it whenever I feel like stopping. It also makes sure that I don't eat something stupid that puts me to sleep at 1 pm.
2. Camelbak. Fill it with mostly ice at the beginning of the day, at the same time as I'm filling up ziplocs with ice. It melts over the course of the day.
3. I keep a bunch of grocery bags for garbage. If I stop somewhere pristine, I'd like to leave it that way.
4. Wet naps. Find a big pack next to diapers. Can't ever have enough.

I keep wet naps in my jacket pocket, my tank bag, my camel back pocket and in my luggage. At minimum, keep a few in a jacket pocket. You never know when you'll need it as you're rushing into the woods and won't have time to rummage around your luggage for them.

Watch the weather.

I've found this the very best real time radar.

http://radar.weather.gov/ridge/Conus/full_loop.php

you can burrow in anywhere...

We're in Gillette which has a clear forecast for today.

so rather than get an early start we will dawdle a bit and maybe do some laundry and stay behind this small patch of wet.
Rapid CIty is planned for an oil change if we can find a dealer willing to do it on short notice.

I use Radar Now. Good for the US and border areas up to around Ottawa. Loads quickly, very accurate and easy to see what's coming your way.

Cycling shorts, can double your seat time between stops. Also someone here mentioned an airhawk.... if inflated correctly (i.e a lot LESS that you think you need), works wonders, way cheaper than buying an aftermarket seat.

I just bought this chair for $50 from Lebaron. It packs down to a very small and light weight size that I can easily carry in my top case, or possibly even my tank bag if I wanted to. I haven't real world tested it on soft ground yet, but it works great in the living room:

s42247.jpg

I just bought this chair for $50 from Lebaron. It packs down to a very small and light weight size that I can easily carry in my top case, or possibly even my tank bag if I wanted to. I haven't real world tested it on soft ground yet, but it works great in the living room:

s42247.jpg
Looks similar to the ones MEC sells for 2-3x more. Good find if the quality is there.

Great find....mine looks very similar and cost more. I love how portable they are. I keep one stowed in a side case.

As far as wet naps/ baby wipes go - they are also good for a quick clean up of the pits and bits between showers.
Also, if in a McDonald's, they have the little individual wet naps, you just have to ask. Do that while getting ice.

Forgot about this one.
I dont use in helmet speakers with the Sena so the damn pocket for them was resonating.
Had spare ear plugs in small plastic bags.

Stuffed about 6 in a bag for a pair and put it in the speaker pocket....because they compress nicely it worked the charm.
Now the Afx has a thin cloth covering over the speaker pocket as does the Bell Mag8 so I imagine others do as well. Just slipped the little bag of sound dampeners under that liner and very happy. Kludge but it worked as that space really can resonate.

I tracked it down ( what else to do on endless prairie at 140 kph ) .....by lifting the chin of my helmet up and I noticed the resonance went away ( ears were then being covered by the chin pads ).
So figured the empty space was the issue and sure enough it was.

Thought I would revive this with another touring season winding down ( slowwwwwwly we hope ).

Tip on side or top case storage
If you are like me you have a few nice helmet bags around with the helmet long gone. Whether gone or not....those bags are perfect for the side cases. I tend to be the stuff it in kinda packer ( GF hates it ....she likes things folded ).
The helmet bags are thin and supple with a nice drawstring - conforms to the odd shaped space easily and cushions the laptop nicely.

Thought I would revive this with another touring season winding down ( slowwwwwwly we hope ).

Tip on side or top case storage
If you are like me you have a few nice helmet bags around with the helmet long gone. Whether gone or not....those bags are perfect for the side cases. I tend to be the stuff it in kinda packer ( GF hates it ....she likes things folded ).
The helmet bags are thin and supple with a nice drawstring - conforms to the odd shaped space easily and cushions the laptop nicely.

Bags inside panniers and top cases is definitely the way to go. Easy to just pull the bag out at the end of the day, no need to remove panniers to bring yours stuff where you want if staying in a hotel. I have a set from Cee Baileys I bought a few years ago, they were made to fit my BMW panniers. Great quality and very durable. I have 2 sets, one from my first BMW which had different panniers, but still use them for packing and even trips when not on the bike.

Back
Top Bottom