Best chain lubes | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Best chain lubes

Interesting. Never had a single issue with overspray or sling from Maxima's Chain Wax. On a warmed up chain I apply it. I use a piece of whatever newspaper/flyer is in my recycle bin to guard against overspray. I've also never gone out for a ride immediately after application. Always seem to lube the chain after a ride (so the chain is already warm).

I always clean and lube right after a ride on a "hot" chain (i dont think chains really get all that warm.. ill take a reading on it next time), spin the wheel by hand slowly a few times to make sure she works into it, let it sit overnight then wipe off excess.
Problem with the wax is the next morning you cant really wipe off the excess, you have to soak a shop cloth in kerosene and wipe it down basically removing what you just tried to put in there. I also dont think the wax really works its way into the chains enough but thats just my non professional opinion...and really chains are cheap...swap them out every 10 k or so.
personally not a fan but its like the never ending engine oil debates, or ford vs dodge...because chev beats them both so its like a race for 2nd place .

I got to ask, how often ? Some say every tank of gas (250-300km) other say every 500km. Not a huge difference but is there a magic number ?
Also do you clean every time you lube ? I'd think it better to lube more often while doing a deep clean every 500km.

People make bike items out to be a million dollars. Tires are cheap. Chains are cheap. Sprockets. ... yep cheap. I got 30k out of my chain and sprockets last season. They're still actually in decent shape. Replaced them anyways.

Clean and wax the chain after any tain or every wash and wax it. Away you go. It's not exactly rocket science.

What cheap chains do y'all buy? There is a rather wide $ gap between the low-end and high-end chains.

My sprockets are getting long in the tooth (get it?) and I'm considering a 520 conversion, but I have no idea what to buy.

I use the motul chain lube because it was the first one I found on the rack for o-ring chains. It goes on thinner, and after about 10 minutes, it thickens up into a sticky oil. Stays in place. I don't really care enough to bother thinking about chain lube. Apply it, it works, doesn't spray all over my bike, good enough for me.

Last edited:
Can anyone compare their favourite to BelRay ... this is what I use ,, but it does fling off a little.. so maybe I am using it wrong...

Bel-Ray® Super Clean Chain Lube is an aerosol chain lube that utilizes the the latest innovation in chain lubricant technology, combining unsurpassed anti-wear protection for long chain and sprocket life with an outer protective coating that will not attract dirt, sand, or grit and ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT FLING OFF when used as directed. Suitable for all ‘O’ ‘X’ and ‘Z’ ring and roller type chains for street, off-road, and racing use.

This is what I use. Apply it *AFTER* a ride and let it sit for a few hours minimum. It won't fling off much. WD-40 will melt it right off anything it drips or flings to.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I'm at Canadian Tire cuz my salesman said they might sell the Motul but I can't find one....anyone have experience with Castrol
98b0583620922563707d60da16015026.jpg
? This is all I could find

Can anyone compare their favourite to BelRay ... this is what I use ,, but it does fling off a little.. so maybe I am using it wrong...

Bel-Ray® Super Clean Chain Lube is an aerosol chain lube that utilizes the the latest innovation in chain lubricant technology, combining unsurpassed anti-wear protection for long chain and sprocket life with an outer protective coating that will not attract dirt, sand, or grit and ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT FLING OFF when used as directed. Suitable for all ‘O’ ‘X’ and ‘Z’ ring and roller type chains for street, off-road, and racing use.
I used to use a suzuki wax & Dupont Lube. Belray flings alot but it remains a bit on the chain. I can go 1000km before relube, not with Dupont. Dupont you have to lube more often. Personally, I love the wax more, superior lubrication & least fling.

A tip for the Belray, apply after a ride then wipe off just before your next ride

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I'm at Canadian Tire cuz my salesman said they might sell the Motul but I can't find one....anyone have experience with Castrol
98b0583620922563707d60da16015026.jpg
? This is all I could find

Wear goggles.

Last edited:
+1 DuPont

I did some work at one point trying to find the old multi-use w/ dry-wax formula and got my hands on some. But it was too much of a bother and now I use thier Chainsaver product. Works great and doesn't drip or smell after initial spray on.

Back
Top Bottom