Best chain lubes | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Best chain lubes

I rarely lube my chain, they're roller chains these days. The lube attracts the grit. I just do it now and then with something to keep the seals fresh.

Chains are cheap and there are lots of people getting 30k or better out of them with no cleaning just lube. Cleaning can damage the orings and let the sealed grease inside the chain escape destroying the chain.

sent from a device using a program

I'm with Scuba....big risk of detergent getting into the orings and bearings and drying them out....
Metal on metal is the killer of chains. Let the lube do it's work and top it off regularly.

Good to see cooler heads prevail.

I once ran an oem chain for 60k & never really cleaned it, only lube

I got 30k out of my oem chain and wasn't impressed. I only cleaned it a few times and lubed it regularly. New one now I'm cleaning more often and lubing after long rides. :dontknow:

u serious???

this.... dirt gets in, if you dont clean it out yer going to wear out the chain. its like sandpaper.

im starting to understand why i walked away from about 20 used bikes a few years ago, and scared to ask how often some of you change your oil or check chain adjustments, air filter....basic stuff..

I clean my chain as often as you replace yours.

I thought I owe you guys an update.

I ended up visiting Show City while going to meet up with a friend.
They did sell Motul and didn't see DuPont so I just got that.

track or street?
i guess this is something no one has really brought up.

my bike eventhough its a SS ends up on a lot of dirt roads.

Either. I do replace my chain every 2 years though on the race bike just because. Actually I haven't put two full seasons on a race bike yet so it seems I just replace the bike more than the chain lol.

Motul chain lube is good stuff.

Lubed chain this morning, 520 conversion so had to tighten up the aim otherwise no drama to report. FYI, still rocking DuPont Chain Saver.

i use Motul, no complaints, it does leave a bit of a mess sometimes, but nothing some WD40 cant remove ;)

Either. I do replace my chain every 2 years though on the race bike just because. Actually I haven't put two full seasons on a race bike yet so it seems I just replace the bike more than the chain lol.

Motul chain lube is good stuff.
so you change bikes as often as i do chains and sprockets lol

so you change bikes as often as i do chains and sprockets lol

My street bike was sold to my dad and it still has the original chain from 2004 but only has 30,000km on it. It's been cleaned less than 10 times.

so maybe i clean my chain more because of where my 600rr actually goes...
2 days of riding in muskoka, rain, sun, dirt roads, and just under 1000km round trip. thurs night the bike was cleaned and waxed and chain was cleaned and lubed.
this chain and sprocket was changed just before this season started, so shes close to 3000km on it.

I rarely lube my chain, they're roller chains these days. The lube attracts the grit. I just do it now and then with something to keep the seals fresh.

I only lube it to try to keep surface rust away. I must not do it often enough, though, because my chain always has a bit of surface rust.

Only chain lube to use, completely dry: Available at Lowes, $9 for a huge can. Cleans and lubes at same time.

k2-_d72da967-c272-401d-8d1a-8fc2a6abffcb.v1.jpg

Here is how the chain should look, if you cant read the name on the chain, it is way to dirty

IMG_0711.JPG

1212-crup-02-o_motul_chain-spray-and-paste.jpg

I was recommended by several different motorcycle mechanics to use the chain paste. I used to use the sprays (which can make a huge mess)

The paste with the brush is a godsend......... works fantastic. Sticks well & easy to apply. The 5.7oz tube lasts a surprisingly long time....

Last edited:
I have always used pj1 chain lube
It goes on clear. You let it set in for a bit and it won't fly off all over your tire. I like it. Used it on all my bikes including my FZ-09

Back
Top Bottom