Best chain lubes | GTAMotorcycle.com

Best chain lubes

timtek

hey y'all,

I was looking around (even tried the search engine, and ended up with pathetic results) for some good chain lubes.
My bike's due for chain lubing and I asked my salesman for what he recommends and he told me to try MOTUL regular chain lube.
I just wanna explore around and since I'm curious I'm wondering what are your favorite is?:eek:

p.s. my ride is Yamaha FZ-07 if that makes any difference to the answers....

Chain lube is one of those items you should really spend less time thinking about buying and more time actually using and riding the bike. LOL. I am quite content with Maxima's Chain Wax. There are as many good options as there are people on this forum to give them.

its just lube. dont over think it. just dont buy crappy tire or wal-mart no-name brands. Once you start to go through a couple of cans you will see which is your fav. Some of them are messy and flings around, others do the job really well!

Dont sweat it, just LUBE it!

I prefer DuPont Teflon Chain Saver. I don't know about best but I've never had a chain explode. It's clean. I consider that a big plus.

I prefer DuPont Teflon Chain Saver. I don't know about best but I've never had a chain explode. It's clean. I consider that a big plus.

+1 to Dupont. You can find it at Lowe's.

The frequency of use is more important than the product. I use 90 weight gear oil, applied with a paint brush. Any product that can be applied via aerosol, is kinda thin.
I've traded/sold bikes before the chains were worn out, currently I'm at 32K on the factory chain, and I have adjusted the tension just once.

I also use heavy weight gear oil while at home but I used DuPont Teflon while touring.

For what it's worth, I hate the bottle of Liquid Wrench Chain Lube I'm currently going through. It's a sticky grey goo that gets on everything. It gives your chain and sprocket a crappy silvery glow.

I don't hate it enough to chuck it before I finish it, but ugh.

+1 to Dupont. You can find it at Lowe's.

I should add, couple years back I couldn't source the DuPont at Lowe's as they seemed to have a perpetual run on it so I bought a bottle of Lucas Oil Stabilizer engine oil additive. It's thick like gear oil but has lots of surface tension. Sticks like snot to a blanket. I still use it from time to time.

Chain lube is one of those items you should really spend less time thinking about buying and more time actually using and riding the bike. LOL. I am quite content with Maxima's Chain Wax. There are as many good options as there are people on this forum to give them.

I hate the wax, leaves a big mess all the time. Ive got a couple bottles in my garage i bought and just leave there for a couple buddies to use that seem to like it.

Right now i think im using motul On mine and some other bottle i got from riders..i think it has a silver metallic label...it would depend on what bottle is the closest to whatever bike im working on.

I've got Repsol chain lube, seems to work fine but it effing STINKS. I do not recommend it.

I hate the wax, leaves a big mess all the time...

Interesting. Never had a single issue with overspray or sling from Maxima's Chain Wax. On a warmed up chain I apply it. I use a piece of whatever newspaper/flyer is in my recycle bin to guard against overspray. I've also never gone out for a ride immediately after application. Always seem to lube the chain after a ride (so the chain is already warm).

Can anyone compare their favourite to BelRay ... this is what I use ,, but it does fling off a little.. so maybe I am using it wrong...

Bel-Ray® Super Clean Chain Lube is an aerosol chain lube that utilizes the the latest innovation in chain lubricant technology, combining unsurpassed anti-wear protection for long chain and sprocket life with an outer protective coating that will not attract dirt, sand, or grit and ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT FLING OFF when used as directed. Suitable for all ‘O’ ‘X’ and ‘Z’ ring and roller type chains for street, off-road, and racing use.

Tirox is my choice, not messy and keeps my chain looking clean....been using it for years and the chain holds up nice as well as looking better than new untill I replace it.

Does everyone lift their back wheel when lubing the chain? All the YouTube videos I've seen do, but they are all of SS bikes that have spools (?) for the pitbull type lift. Should I throw my cruiser up on jack stands?

I bought the Motul chain cleaner & the Motul chain lube. Grunge brush was $40. I passed on that.

Also what I use

Yet another chain lube thread.

I also use BelRay superclean but it does not fling off but does build up with dirt. Rain and bike washes have little impact. Apply at the end of your ride.

Just back from a 3500 k ride and the chain is really grungy and needs to be cleaned.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom