Alberta not a place for super sports or bikes at all really!!!!!! | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Alberta not a place for super sports or bikes at all really!!!!!!

If you can't stop in time you might as well gun it to get through faster. Even if he was speeding, and didn't stop, left turner has to wait for the way to be clear. No? Maybe it's different in Ontario vs Alberta.

If you can't stop in time you might as well gun it to get through faster. Even if he was speeding, and didn't stop, left turner has to wait for the way to be clear. No? Maybe it's different in Ontario vs Alberta.

Thats what i believe also. And the fact that the biker got charged for entering the intersection during yellow light prove the left turner did not have a clear of way

Thats what i believe also. And the fact that the biker got charged for entering the intersection during yellow light prove the left turner did not have a clear of way

Ok, its the same the person going straight has the right of way! Here in Alberta too, there driving laws are really retarded read a hand book on who has the right of way at a unmarked intersection that is a T intersection. Its crazy doesnt even make sense almost leaves up to no right of way to anyone.

But, yes I got in a collision and in this province going left (4 way intersection) is the dangerous turn. If you can believe it the guy got a ticket (going straight) for rushing the yellow, the guy going striaght that hit me got the ticket however no matter. In the insurances eyes its me that takes the hit. I didnt get a ticket or nothing but took the hit on the accident. Yes he was at fault but he needs to actually get a red light ticket for the incident so I still got the hit on insurance. Even if the got a dangerous driving ticket it still would be me that took the hit (not a red light ticket specifically) But as the officer seen it, it was his fault. Oh well at least I had forgiveness on my insurance.

So in the insurances eyes the 20 yr old female should take the hit on the insurance?

Thats about it.

Last edited:
Your confusing two seperate entities when you speak of "fault". There is fault, as determined by the investigating officer, and the tickets issued and conviction registered. As opposed to fault as determined by insurance, (As they are called here in Ontario Fault Determination Rules, FDR). a person can be charged and convicted of an offence but the other person still deemed to be at "fault" under the FDR's by insurance. They have nothing to do with each other.

As an investigating copper I didn't know how the FDR's worked, (not even sure they existed back then). I was merely investigating and assigning "fault" as per the HTA, or traffic code, (depending upon which province I was working in). We were taught at the polie college, our designation of "fault", (laying a charge), had NO effect on insurance claims and who would be assesed fault under insurance. We were police officers not insuance investigators/adjusters/acutaries.

I would have to review the relevant section of the Alberta traffic laws, to see if it differs from what we have in Ontario, in regards to yellow. But as a rider, I have learned a few things in 35 years. One of them is it is generally MUCH safer to stop or slow when entering an intersection with a yellow and opposing traffic then it is to pin it...lol

Ok, its the same the person going straight has the right of way! Here in Alberta too, there driving laws are really retarded read a hand book on who has the right of way at a unmarked intersection that is a T intersection. Its crazy doesnt even make sense almost leaves up to no right of way to anyone.

But, yes I got in a collision and in this province going left (4 way intersection) is the dangerous turn. If you can believe it the guy got a ticket (going straight) for rushing the yellow, the guy going striaght that hit me got the ticket however no matter. In the insurances eyes its me that takes the hit. I didnt get a ticket or nothing but took the hit on the accident. Yes he was at fault but he needs to actually get a red light ticket for the incident so I still got the hit on insurance. Even if the got a dangerous driving ticket it still would be me that took the hit (not a red light ticket specifically) But as the officer seen it, it was his fault. Oh well at least I had forgiveness on my insurance.

So in the insurances eyes the 20 yr old female should take the hit on the insurance?

Thats about it.

Yes, insurance fault and HTA fault are different. Police don't know the insurance rules and shouldn't try to give advice. I've twice been told by cops not to bother with insurance because it will be 50/50 and both times they were completely wrong.

Although it wouldn't be hard for them to get it right as a simple Google search will give you the fault determination rules. I used to carry a copy in my car to show people when they hit me and then tried to say it was my fault.

Yes, insurance fault and HTA fault are different. Police don't know the insurance rules and shouldn't try to give advice. I've twice been told by cops not to bother with insurance because it will be 50/50 and both times they were completely wrong.

Although it wouldn't be hard for them to get it right as a simple Google search will give you the fault determination rules. I used to carry a copy in my car to show people when they hit me and then tried to say it was my fault.

How aften are you getting hit that you need a copy of the FDR??? lol Police shouldn't be giving advice on the FDR's period. It then sets up "liability" issue if they get it wrong, (people on GTAM are constantly saying a cops "interpretation of even HTA sections are wrong). leve it to the ones who should know insurer.

How aften are you getting hit that you need a copy of the FDR??? lol Police shouldn't be giving advice on the FDR's period. It then sets up "liability" issue if they get it wrong, (people on GTAM are constantly saying a cops "interpretation of even HTA sections are wrong). leve it to the ones who should know insurer.
There was a period where it seemed to be about once every two years. Almost always in parking lots and they always try to screw me over.

It's not like it's hard to toss one in the glove box with the owners manual just in case.

I used to carry a copy of a technical bulletin for the VW TDIs that showed they would cover rusty fenders because they were very common and no one seemed to know they could get it fixed for free. If I saw one and saw the owner is give him a copy to go get it fixed for free.

Last edited:
There was a period where it seemed to be about once every two years. Almost always in parking lots and they always try to screw me over.

It's not like it's hard to toss one in the glove box with the owners manual just in case.

I used to carry a copy of a technical bulletin for the VW TDIs that showed they would cover rusty fenders because they were very common and no one seemed to know they could get it fixed for free. If I saw one and saw the owner is give him a copy to go get it fixed for free.
Very nice of you.

Yeah i also believed parking is always 50/50, untill i got hit. Also the insurance fault is funny. As long as you got any percentage of being at fault, your record will show at fault and rate will take a hit.

Very nice of you.

Yeah i also believed parking is always 50/50, untill i got hit. Also the insurance fault is funny. As long as you got any percentage of being at fault, your record will show at fault and rate will take a hit.
Yep. Already knew that one. Luckily I've never had an at-fault accident go through insurance.

I almost saw a car get creamed in the same way as the one in this thread today at 427/Renforth when a Mississauga Transit bus ran the red as someone was trying to complete their left from Renforth onto the 427S ramp.

Also saw a driving instructor teaching his student to try to make a left out of a parking lot while there is still live traffic on the road and had someone cut me off when I was making a left on an advance green and they made a right on red. So much bad driving witnessed daily in this city.

Back
Top Bottom