US129 a.k.a. Tail of the Dragon | GTAMotorcycle.com

US129 a.k.a. Tail of the Dragon

MEE

Here's a quick edit of our trip down to Tail of the Dragon - Deals Gap - Tennessee/North Carolina

[video=youtube;sKX6uEdks2w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKX6uEdks2w[/video]

Looks like a fun trip but why fade out to a new shot ever 2 seconds. Would be nice to see longer shots without the annoying fade out effect.

As a side trip for the adventure touring crowd, try Parsons Branch road.

Good call. There are better roads, too. Also, do Wayah road no matter what you are on... and there is a road off it (711 iirc?!) which has a few minutes of new pavement and then next to no pavement at all, it's so badly chewed up and in disrepair... but it comes out on top of a mountain... the view is amazing even for the area and it's a challenge to make it there. I made it there on the Tuono but I wouldn't try it again even on that, you'll want a bike with some suspension.

[video=youtube;W_xTYFqfkUs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_xTYFqfkUs[/video]

When coming back use US 219. Fantastic road it's been written about in pretty well all car/bike magazines .

I have no idea how or why they make roads like amusement park rides .

Good call. There are better roads, too. Also, do Wayah road no matter what you are on... and there is a road off it (711 iirc?!) which has a few minutes of new pavement and then next to no pavement at all, it's so badly chewed up and in disrepair... but it comes out on top of a mountain... the view is amazing even for the area and it's a challenge to make it there. I made it there on the Tuono but I wouldn't try it again even on that, you'll want a bike with some suspension.

[video=youtube;W_xTYFqfkUs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_xTYFqfkUs[/video]

The trail of tears from robbisville to Andrews and then to Murphy might be good. The 143 from Robbinsville is good and plenty of parallel roads also.

Adventures bikes lol
snapshot20111104010029_zpsc58a4596.jpg~original

I miss this place...have to hit it again next year....

It's hard to enjoy our roads and flat scenery here in Ont after getting spoiled by The Dragon...

Happy to be back in one piece....

I remember seeing that while I was on my ZX-11... I carefully thought it over and decided that I would wait for a dumber future me to try that

I made it there on the Tuono but I wouldn't try it again even on that, you'll want a bike with some suspension.

Aha! There is something an Aprilia can't do

I cant get over how awesome this highway is.

I think I know what Im doing for my vacation next year, maybe even this fall if I can sort out a passport in time.

[video=youtube;K_dll2ALABM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_dll2ALABM[/video]

With Dooshbags riding like that through there I'm not sure I would want to put my self at risk. Soooo many clowns crossing the yellow lines on bikes, cars etc.

You make a good point. I think I would still like to ride that road before I die.

Its just so relentless! Turn after turn after turn!!

Im not sure I could keep the pace of the riders in the vid I posted given my skill level anyways, but I know Id be lying if I said I wouldn't be riding above the speed limit ........... within my limits and of course in my lane ;)

All these videos confirm that on my ride to NC later this year, I'll be sure to avoid riding Deals Gap. Was on the fence, and now I've lost all interest.

I was there last week and rode the gap 2 evenings in a row from 6 to 8pm. There is very little traffic in the evening and I did not see any shenanigans at all. Yes there are other amazing roads in the area but the Dragon is pretty cool in my opinion. But beware, there is no one there taking pictures in the evening... and I guess that's why the ****** factor is low.

I only go through the dragon maybe once on a weekend to get somewhere else. Ride it during the week or after 6:30 at night, it's a great road. Avoid it in rain and/or wind.

Back
Top Bottom