Tips for new riders to avoid a Crash or Death | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tips for new riders to avoid a Crash or Death

TSquared

Decided to start a thread to help new riders prevent crashing. Anyone else feel free to add points.

1. Buy a bike you can handle. If you're a speed demon in general you should start on a lower cc bike as you can push it to it's limit. People that tend to speed in general will always want to push their vehicle to its limit, if you start on a litre bike as your first bike, that limit is 300+km/hr. Might not be the smartest idea for a new rider. Recommended is a 125/250/300/500 would be good low cc bikes, all of these bikes do sub 200km/hr, still fast enough to break speed limits and get your first ticket on a bike, so don't complain it's too slow.

2. Learn to handle your bike to the fullest before upgrading to something bigger. Just because you can drive a straight line doesn't make you an expert. Learn to take corners with your knee dragging before moving up to a higher cc bike.

3. All gear is very important, buy what you can afford, don't skip out on pants either, you can buy jean kevlar pants as cheap at $100. Gear will not make you invincible however, it is there for abrasion resistance. In order of Importance: Helmet, Gloves, Boots, Jacket, then Pants.

4. Wear colourful and reflective gear. Wearing all black gear may look cool, but often times too many drivers claim they didn't see the bike.

5. Always slow down in an intersection. You never know who is going to pop out of your blind spot. Sometimes cars are parked on the side of the road making it impossible for the car on the right from even seeing you, let alone you seeing them.

6. Yellow lights means stop. If you see the light turn yellow and a car is about to make a left turn, let the car go even if you have the right of way.

7. You never have the right of way, always give it to cars unless they wave you over to go ahead. Remember if you aren't at fault, you pay with your life. Dead man can't testify in court.

8. Never stunt in public roads. Too many people do it end up dead, if you doing a wheeling in an intersection and some driver doesn't see you and make a left turn, you're dead. OTR President died that way and he was a pro.

Feel free to add any additional points.

Last edited:
All excellent points and #7 came to light heading home in my car Fri after work where a car wanted to merge into the N-bound Dufferin right lane that takes you to 401W. A guy on a bike just did not slow down to let a lady in. She didn't see him, he wasn't about to let her in and he had to honk his horn and get right near the curb to avoid getting side swiped. Later on while on the 401 he was doing the same thing with more horn honking.

You WILL lose on any encounter with a car and need to be DEFENSIVE ALWAYS.

9. Look at the driver as you approach to ensure you can gauge their intention and/or they see you too. I'm generally speaking about approaching vehicles while overtaking at a reasonable speed in the same direction of travel but the same can be said whenever possible.

Don't ride in a car's blindspot
Assume you're invisible to other drivers
Assume everyone (including other riders) wants to kill you

thanks for the tips. this is how i generally drive in my car as well. i usually just let the other person go first (say for example instead of rushing through a yellow light i'll just stop and let a car ahead of me turning left just go first) rather than cause an accident over trying to be macho.

Don't ride in a car's blindspot
Assume you're invisible to other drivers
Assume everyone (including other riders) wants to kill you
I see this all to often especially on the 401 in which in the one case a loud pipe can save a life. Don't remain in the middle lane.

2. Learn to handle your bike to the fullest before upgrading to something bigger. Just because you can drive a straight line doesn't make you an expert. Learn to take corners with your knee dragging before moving up to a higher cc bike.

I wouldn't recommend dragging knees in the corners as a beginner, go to the track to do that.

I would add that excessive speed kills, other driver's just can't gauge how fast you are really going and will turn in front of you.

Repeatedly upgrade your skills and awareness through professional training.

7. You never have the right of way, always give it to cars unless they wave you over to go ahead. Remember if you aren't at fault, you pay with your life. Dead man can't testify in court.

Not sure about the wording of this one. Giving up right of way can be confusing and dangerous as you are expected to go by the car turning, the car behind you, the pedestrian who hasn't noticed the car you are deferring to, etc. Hesitancy often results in everyone going at once. Perhaps you mean give up right of way when someone else has claimed it, even if they are in the wrong.

Look where you want to go. Don't bail on a turn and stand the bike up if you don't think you're going to make it.

Bro, do you own a bike? How are you giving advice?

Look where you want to go may be tired and obvious but it's not a cliche. Oh wait, that's the definition of cliche. I think cliche is over used as well. Anyway, look where you're going. That can't be repeated enough. I own a bike, so this is solid information.:cool:

Someone else's mistake is still your problem.

Ive been riding for decades and while not everyone may agree with this, it has worked for me.

Get noticed. Daytime, ride with your high beams on. On highways, i like to ride on the left or right lane, I perfer the left lane, so that i come up to slower traffic on my right and can see there eyes in there side view mirror and most of the time they notice me there, maybe cause of the high beams right in there side view mirror, Lol. Always watch ahead for **** on the road. Watch drivers head movements as this is a signal there about to change lanes. Watch traffic on your mirrors for every lane change, just cause your going faster than traffic ahead dosent mean someone isnt coming up from behind. Always have an exit planned when cars are aound ie. the sholder. Practise hitting the horn so your fast and then for no reason at all!

Just my 1 cent.

Only race slower bikes than yours, otherwise you'll have to go faster than expected and that might cause a crash.

Ride within your comfort level, never push your self to keep up with others.

This is really really important. Ride your own ride. There will always be someone faster than you. Focus on being faster than you were yesterday if you're into taking corners fast.

Back
Top Bottom