Tire advice | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tire advice

shahfaisal

Site Supporter
I recently used DOT slicks(came with bike) on track... crashed the one time i didnt use warmers.. went in too hot and then lost focus and fixated on the wall.. ended up ditching the bike.

I am looking for dedicated track use tires but would like to know my options... want to avoid using warmers if possible.

I recently used DOT slicks(came with bike) on track... crashed the one time i didnt use warmers.. went in too hot and then lost focus and fixated on the wall.. ended up ditching the bike.

I am looking for dedicated track use tires but would like to know my options... want to avoid using warmers if possible.

Pirelli superbike pros. Not as much grip as a hot race tire, but imo good enough for trackdays. No warmers needed and they last for 6-10 days. Depending how much abuse they are taking. Used a set yesterday at CTMP that had 3 bogie days on them, then sat in my basement all winter. Should be good for another 3 or so. Takes a couple laps to get them warm. 4 or 5 when brand new.

Pirelli superbike pros.
When they are "done" they instantly lose traction without warning. I experienced this myself (crashed) and when I posted the story tons of people said "How could you run those Pirelli Superbike Pro Red Stripes?" lol. If you get them DO NOT try and stretch them out for more than 3 track days. Sure they'll have 99% of their tread life left but after that many heat cycles they start to get unpredictable.

They warm up fast (1.5 laps at TMP), stick really well and feel great under breaking.

I've since switched back to Q3's. Warm up fast, super predictable slides when you overheat them or when they are "done". They won't last 10 track days like the Pirelli's but I have way more confidence in them.

I tried them on a GSX-R 1000 that was offered me and nearly lost the rear on the 2nd (2nd!) corner at Shannonville. There was no warning, it just stepped out suddenly and near-highsided me. It was violent enough that my back hurt for a week. So much for trying to help with his suspension setup. That's when I clued in to this tire.

I had several friends and acquaintances running these. A couple of them talked endlessly about how great these tires were. They were running mid-pack Intermediate lap times. One of them got fast enough to race the back side of an AM race and as he progressed, the tires started smearing black lines everywhere, sliding and scaring everyone, including him, #$%&less every few corners... hard-headed guy ran them for 1100km anyway but moved to Michelin DOTs. Another crashed hard twice in the same corner (corner 8 on S/LT) , both times suddenly and without warning from the tires. Another slowed down because the rear was so easy to spin up on his GSX-R and was happy with that anyways because of his budget constraints. Jamie Maunder crashed his bike at Calabogie.

That's a pretty bad track record imho. I don't know who these tires are made for, maybe ones that like fixing bodywork and replacing parts...? I found Q3s and SuperCorsa SPs to have far more grip, and should wear reasonably. I don't think I'd race on them but either of those will let you run the advanced group of a track day...

Edit: I think johnscruiser is probably right about the heat cycles being an issue, everyone that I know with these tires started off thinking they had grip and after a few days on the track, grew to hate them. They might be good for an endurance event or something. To nearly highside on that corner on someone else's bike at maybe 7/10ths my usual pace was a huge eye-opener for me.

Last edited:
I can turn 1:19s on them at TMP and get 7 days out of them. The same times I turn on a street tire that lasts one day.. Op asked for no warmers. Options are limited

I can turn 1:19s on them at TMP and get 7 days out of them. The same times I turn on a street tire that lasts one day.. Op asked for no warmers. Options are limited

i don't oppose warmers, just find them to be a nuisance until a certain level of proficiency... if using warmers is the only way then i don't mind.. just looking for options. and keeping a fun day(trackday) as uncomplicated as possible.

What you have described is not a tire issue, it's rider error and throwing money at tires will not solve it.
Target fixation is the number on reason for novice crashes both on and off the track (panicking and abruptly grabbing front brake on corner entry follows closely behind).
The sooner you learn to tune this out the safer and cheaper your track riding will be.

Learning to analyze your incidents is key to becoming a better, safer rider quickly. Without this your development will stagnate and get horribly expensive.

....But since this is really a tire tread lets talk tires, lol :

The Pirelli Superbike Pro was a great tire in its day, I used to put these on our endurance bikes that Pro racers would be putting down constant 1:14s at TMP for 3 hours straight without any trouble.
That being said they are old technology and as many said before, they are much more sensitive to heat cycling than some of the more modern offerings. We would discard these after one 3 hour endurance race.

Bang for the buck I would recommend the Bridgestone BT003RS or the RS10 (if you are running a 190 or 200 rear as they don't come in a 180 yet). These are fantastic track oriented tires that offer a lot for very little money.

Another viable option that is better than the Q3 in the hyper sort street tire category would be the New S20 EVO. They have consistently tested better than any other street tire on track, but as with all street tires they have their limitations. All street tires will get out of their heat range rather quickly on a track, even with a moderately quick novice at the helm. The S20 EVO seems to be the least susceptible to it. Once a tire gets out of the heat range it was designed for it will start to get "greasy".

My current favorite, money no object trackday tire that will obliterate anything else in the "no tire warmer" category is the new Michelin Super Sport Evo.
They also come in a variety of profiles that give you another dimension to play with your chassis geometry beyond normal suspension settings. They provide very good resistance to heat cycling and fantastic grip for a tire that doesn't require warmers.
The only issue is that they cost almost $100 more than a set of BT003rs/rs10.

Last edited:
Q3s are still awesome times even at an intermediate track day pace, and they last very well. We use them on our endurance bike (2003 Gixxer600) and I need to be doing my sprint race pace on a hot day to get them squirmy at all. They really are wonderful tires and should be just fine for any track day rider who is not ready for red group. Exception might be if you have a very powerful bike - I have no experience there. On my air cooled Ducati they were great at lower red group pace and lasted for quite a few outings.

I am not saying that are better than Evos, S20s or RS10s - no experience with those. But I would never go back to Superbike Pros after using the Q3s. Simply no contest.

Haven't tried the 003RS or RS10 or S20 for that matter. Nor the Evo. In fact, all the new tires are new to me. Even the Supercorsas I used last weekend were completely different than the last time I tried a Pirelli race tire (DOT or otherwise). The new Dunlops are a different tire too. Keeping abreast of these things isn't easy. :)

YellowDuck: the Q3s are great as you say, the Supercorsa SPs I had were even better (quite a bit actually) but don't wear nearly as long. With a 180hp/ish bike I found that I could spin the tire up when the bike was stood up on its harder center compound. Had the bike do a few big slides when I was using low traction control and my typical Shannonville style of standing the bike up to keep the suspension working.

Different tires and compounds work differently on all bikes, as Shaman stated with running different tires on a high HP bike.....your tire opinions should include your bikes power and your riding style IMO. A great tire can get a bad name with a bike and style not meant for its design.

Different tires and compounds work differently on all bikes, as Shaman stated with running different tires on a high HP bike.....your tire opinions should include your bikes power and your riding style IMO. A great tire can get a bad name with a bike and style not meant for its design.

06 gsxr 600.. aggressive rider. intermediate level.

Went through 1 full set of knee puck in one day... does that qualify?☺

lmfao.... I don't think aggressive is a riding style... what would the opposite be?? Wimp?

I would say it would have more to do with body position, trail braking, point and shoot vs corner speed....

lmfao.... I don't think aggressive is a riding style... what would the opposite be?? Wimp?

I would say it would have more to do with body position, trail braking, point and shoot vs corner speed....
I have seen wimp style so

Not really, you could just have ****** body position.

.. or long knees lol. Knee sliders are to feel how low you are on your lean angle, it is a point of reference and not a bragging point.

Anyways it was a joke, back to topic.
Went through 1 full set of knee puck in one day... does that qualify?☺

Last edited:
I think fawaz pegged it beautifully in his reply. Too hot, lost focus and target fixation really had nothing to do with tire performance.

Back
Top Bottom