The 2015 Brewery Tour | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The 2015 Brewery Tour

Heck yes!

Rob, how do you like the Ninja? That's on my "One day new bike maybe" wish list along with the fz/fj-09 and a few others.

I love it!
This is what Honda should have done with the VFR...we just wanted a little more power.

I sat on the FJ-09 on the weekend at Two Wheel in Guelph. Very comfortable ergos.
This is the first Yamaha that has grabbed my attention in a long time. Love those triples!

Cheers,

Rob

Stopped in a Boshkung Brewing today in Carnarvon. It's right at the intersection of 35 and 118, it's in the basement of the Rhubarb Restaurant. Unfortunately for me, they only sell pints and 1L and 2L growlers, none of which I could use! I could have probably fit a 1L but then there's a deposit and blah blah blah...

Anyways, looked like a great little nano-brewery with a decent selection of beers. Hopefully one of you guys can check it out for us!

Just an fyi, I believe that there is a food truck and craft beer festival in King city next weekend.

I also stopped in at Brock St brewery in Whitby the other day. Right on the corner of Hopkins and Consumers beside Eagle something cycles. They're just gearing up and don't have their bottle machine running yet but they are selling growlers. Looks like they'll have a good selection, I'll be back for sure.

Great thread!!

Every so often I'll do the west end loop and hit steam whistle, mill st, amsterdam, bellwoods, black oak, great lakes and then stop off at the pie commission for lunch.
Makes for a very tasty day!

Usually do the run in my car though since I've never come home with fewer than 18 bottles for me and friends.

A nice day trip would be up through Barrie to Flying Monkeys, up to Collingwood to Creemore and then new brewery that just opened; blue mountain i think...

Last edited:
Great thread!!

A nice day trip would be up through Barrie to Flying Monkeys, up to Collingwood to Creemore and then new brewery that just opened; blue mountain i think...

You can add Side Launch Brewing to the Collingwood list. Large industrial style brewer. Excellent beer.

Hopefully I'll get out there again soon, any of you guys that have been to these places and have tried their beers, feel free to chime in on what is worth trying out! What with the limited space in my top box I have to make the best of the trip!

Great thread!!

Every so often I'll do the west end loop and hit steam whistle, mill st, amsterdam, bellwoods, black oak, great lakes and then stop off at the pie commission for lunch.
Makes for a very tasty day!

Usually do the run in my car though since I've never come home with fewer than 18 bottles for me and friends.

Flying Monkeys! Great, great, great call! Would love to take a trip of there myself... their flying monkey super collider version 2.0 is back and is only sold from their brewery and tapped at a few restaurants...

Flying Monkeys! Great, great, great call! Would love to take a trip of there myself... their flying monkey super collider version 2.0 is back and is only sold from their brewery and tapped at a few restaurants...

While you're in Barrie, hit up Barnstormer Brewery and Pizzeria.
Really good beer and excellent pizza!

http://www.barnstormerbrewing.com

Cheers,

Rob

Hey Macro
Been to any more "micros"?
A few weeks ago, a buddy and I hit up both Neustadt Springs Brewery (in Neustadt) as well as MacLean's Ales & Lagers in Hanover.
Neustadt has a summer seasonal "Sour Kraut" lager made with raspberries. Not too sweet and a bit sour (as the name would suggest).
MacLean's makes a really nice Farmhouse Blonde.

Hope you're out and about riding and bringing home samples!

Cheers,

Rob

I haven't actually! I'm getting married at the end of the month and it seems to have sucked up all my spare time this summer since we're doing a lot of DIY stuff trying to keep cost down... It hasn't worked. Hahaha. I haven't done as much riding as I'd like. Glad to hear someone is keeping the spirit alive though!!

Anyone else make to anywhere tasty?!?!

My preference is to wander around the province and stop in at pubs that are nearby micro breweries.
They generally have the local beers on tap. I can try it without getting stuck with several cans or bottles I may not care for.
A nice ride, a relaxed lunch and ONE pint of the local speciality.

Hey Macro
Been to any more "micros"?
A few weeks ago, a buddy and I hit up both Neustadt Springs Brewery (in Neustadt) as well as MacLean's Ales & Lagers in Hanover.
Neustadt has a summer seasonal "Sour Kraut" lager made with raspberries. Not too sweet and a bit sour (as the name would suggest).
MacLean's makes a really nice Farmhouse Blonde.

Hope you're out and about riding and bringing home samples!

Cheers,

Rob

We did the Neustadt and MacLean's run last year. MacLean's was so new that they didn't have the furniture in the tasting room yet. They were sampling the pale ale but their IPA was still in the tank. The final brewery on that tour was Killanan just south of Owen Sound. They had Kolsch and Altbier in cans and a few other varieties on tap. The brewery is run by one of the youngest brewmasters in Canada.

East of Toronto, check out Church Key in Cambellford and Stone City Ales in Kingston (12 Star Session Ale, yummy).

Jim

If you are in Perth, Ontario (Calabogie nearby) try the Perth Brewing company which is listed on the spreadsheet. Three different varieties of IPA, even a maple beer in the spring. Try the Hopside IPA, very nice and fairly light for an IPA. Best of all you can order your own beer and can it or keg it. Great prices on diy.

We did the Neustadt and MacLean's run last year. MacLean's was so new that they didn't have the furniture in the tasting room yet. They were sampling the pale ale but their IPA was still in the tank. The final brewery on that tour was Killanan just south of Owen Sound. They had Kolsch and Altbier in cans and a few other varieties on tap. The brewery is run by one of the youngest brewmasters in Canada.

East of Toronto, check out Church Key in Cambellford and Stone City Ales in Kingston (12 Star Session Ale, yummy).

Jim

Great tip on Kilannan...never heard of them before.
I've been wanting to try the 12 Star for some time. Anything with Citra hops is a winner in my books.

Cheers,

Rob

Great tip on Kilannan...never heard of them before.
I've been wanting to try the 12 Star for some time. Anything with Citra hops is a winner in my books.

Cheers,

Rob

Also Galaxy and El Dorado. I have a standing order from my sons to bring home 12 Star every time I drive through Kingston.

Jim

We did the Barrie tour last week on four wheels. That gives us more room to bring home beer and allows Mrs jimdb to drive if I have too many samples.

We started at Barnstormer for a beer and pizza lunch. The pizza was excellent. I tried the Cirrus Session IPA. This beer had lots of Amarillo hops with a nice tropical flavor.

We arrived at Flying Monkeys for the 2pm tour. Of course we tried a bunch of samples first. I bought a Flying Monkeys glass so they poured a pint for me. I had Division by Zero Imperial Nut Brown Ale (11% ABV). Yummy. The Monkeys are turning their store area into a 90 seat brewpub which should be open next spring.

We intended to visit Sidelaunch in Collingwood, but the Monkeys tour took longer than expected and we spent some time yakking with some potential homebrewers in the store. I hope to see some of them at Learn2Brew in November. Other options in Collingwood would be the Northwinds Brewhouse or the Collingwood Brewery. Our next expedition will be Sidelaunch and Collingwood followed by dinner at Northwinds.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom