Cush drive rubber failure input | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cush drive rubber failure input

D-MAN

I'm running a set of marchesini 10 spoke rims, went out for a casual ride and the rubbers turned to mush and crumbled apart.....anyone had this happen or heard of this? Read somewhere before about an upgraded version for these wheels but cannot find anything now, new set ordered but would like some input on this. Thanks

I'm running a set of marchesini 10 spoke rims, went out for a casual ride and the rubbers turned to mush and crumbled apart.....anyone had this happen or heard of this? Read somewhere before about an upgraded version for these wheels but cannot find anything now, new set ordered but would like some input on this. Thanks

I've heard of this and at one time someone had made replacements but they stopped a long time ago. It wasn't a company but a person that wanted a better option than what marchesini had to offer. Apparently replacing them often is common.

What do they look like? Are they the little rings made of excessively hard material with a steel ring in the middle that fits around a socket-head screw? (That's what my Dymag "cush drive" looked like) Overall dimensions approx 32mm OD, 16mm ID, and (IIRC) 10mm thick.

I ended up redesigning and replacing them with a combination of standard O-rings with a steel washer to act as a spacer to keep the O-rings from escaping through the gap between the socket-head and the inside of the sprocket holder. The purpose wasn't longevity (I was fully expecting to have to replace these after every race round - but O-rings are cheap) but rather in order to get non-zero cushioning. The standard "cush drive" was so hard that it provided no cushioning whatsoever, and I blame that for a gearbox failure in 2013.

It took some experimenting to get the combination of O-ring sizes right, but with that done, they actually stand up ... There is a plan to replace the ordinary black Buna-N o-rings with urethane of the same size and softness (70 shore A) but I haven't had to.

If your "cush drives" are those dimensions, I'll get you the O-ring sizes and washer size when I get home ... Remember, my objective wasn't durability of the cush-drive rings but rather durability of the transmission (which is a whole lot more expensive and containing unobtainium parts) but they have proven OK ...

They're the twin pie shaped drives joined together,10 in total or 5 sets not the five round ones you're speaking of(Brian) ....I thought it might be a company making improved ones for them but not the case (Dricked). Was thinking the same (TK4) just old but I've never seen or heard of this before, new ones on route and will be getting a second set soon after for spares...few places have no stock and get only a few shipments per year. Thanks for the input guys

First place I contacted, they said no stock and don't know when they would be getting more.....ordered from AF1 racing. Thanks
Yea I thought that was too easy MW is usually pretty good for spares.
Look on the bright side tho when they finally do arrive "new improved material!!!"

I know this is an old thread... but I was wondering if anyone here has tried these Cushes for the Marchesini 10 spoke?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/MARCHESINI-New-Type-Damper-Rubber-WT4181-/161800785912?hash=item25ac140ff8&vxp=mtr

They appear better made than the mottosport ones and claim to be a new compound better "Iron" Polyurethane material and redesigned shape (one side has a curve that apparently adds to the rebound properties. The earlier Marchessini ones were crap, but apparently they have up graded yjere compound years ago as well. Most that I have been able to find on line are repops not made by or for Marcehsini.

These ones are expensive at just over $100 for the set plus shipping. I don't mind spending the extra $50 bucks if they are going to last a few years longer life and better response which they claim, but I would hate to spend the money and have them wear out in a few months?

Back
Top Bottom