CBR650F first service, valve check? | GTAMotorcycle.com

CBR650F first service, valve check?

Golluk

My '14 CBR650F is due for its first service (~1200KM), and I was quoted ~$350 bucks. The service guy mentioned it would need some time to cool down if I rode it in, as they do a valve check. And the valve check being part of the higher cost.

Being this is my first new bike, and first FI 4 cylinder engine, I took it to a small private shop for a quick inspection. I wanted an unbiased, expert opinion on if there were any issues I should bring up. He did notice some buzz on the bars and foot pegs around 5k RPM, which others have commented on in forums, but otherwise didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

He was surprised about a valve check on the first service. He knew the CBR250's had one, but didn't expect this engine would require one until 24K. And suggested I look into if it was recommended/required. The price seemed rather high to him for a first service.

I've checked the owners manual, and forums, but they only mention checks at 25K. They specifically mention its good that it is only every 25k. I'm suspicious they are just tacking this on for extra money.

all the mechanics I've spoken with at different shops over the years have all said a valve check before 50,000 km is not worth it UNLESS you think there's something wrong...my bike has 21,000 on it and I was told not to even bother...

As per your owners manual, no valve clearance inspection is required until 24,000km's.

First service is all usual stuff, oil, filter, check idle rpm and stability, check clutch freeplay, check brakes, check nuts/bolts, check steering head bearing, etc. Do it yourself, save receipts, write a log, take date/time stamped photos.

My CBR650F is at about 1500km's and it also has buzzing around 5-6000RPM. Did the shop say anything about this? My old FZ6 buzzed around 8,000rpm...

all the mechanics I've spoken with at different shops over the years have all said a valve check before 50,000 km is not worth it UNLESS you think there's something wrong...my bike has 21,000 on it and I was told not to even bother...

Says who ? What bike this interference to ?

I have the same bike...valve check isn't due until around 24,000km. If the dealer wants to do it earlier, and your bike doesn't have any issues, you need to find a better dealer for service.

My CBR650F is at about 1500km's and it also has buzzing around 5-6000RPM. Did the shop say anything about this? My old FZ6 buzzed around 8,000rpm...

Mine has an issue between 6000 and about 6300rpm where there is quite the vibration in the pegs and seat. Outside of that range it is very smooth. Only other oddity is a rattle when I am off throttle, especially around 3000-4000rpm. In reading online, the bike seems to have an emissions valve (or something) that causes it, so it is normal for the bike.

Oh I should also add too...doing the oil on this bike is stupid easy compared to the CBR250RA I had before. Filter is downwards pointing behind the engine (near the exhaust collector/muffler), and the drain bolt is right next to it on the side of the oilpan. Note I did buy the socket-style filter wrench as space is limited, but with that, everything is easily accessible.

The air filter, on the other hand, means pulling all the fairings and rotating the tank. Not happy about that one compared to the 250 (which had it right under the seat near the battery), but at least that doesn't need to be done/checked that often.

He noticed it, and I mentioned it was commonly brought up by owners. That just seems to be the frequency at which it rattles.

I ended up getting the work done there rather than the dealer. Nothing of note except one of the 4 bolts clamping the handles to the front forks was finger loose.

In the OP' post, maybe the tech mistook it for the CB500 series bikes. The 2013s require a valve check at 1000km as it was a 1st year engine and they still had a bug (im guessing). Gone for 2014 though.

$350 for a full service including valve check sounds like a pretty good deal. Who is the dealer?

It is possible the tech was mistaken, and assumed it was like the lower CC CBRs. Then the price does seem low for including a valve check, but I've heard the dealers will sometimes take a loss on the first service for the beginner bikes.

Dealer was Dewildt Honda, and the shop I used is motor-bike.ca. In the Hamilton area.

Back
Top Bottom