Seeking Touring Advise | GTAMotorcycle.com

Seeking Touring Advise

Portuga

I ride a '13 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic and it is comfortable for the longer rides I do. My days recently if I'm free will be around 400+ km round trip. I haven't made any changes to the bike outside of a backrest for the wife when she comes with me and a small roll bag with the purpose of take a day or two trip away. I've been looking at taking a run down through PA and another loop through Algonquin Park towards Quebec.

I was looking for some advice to what you do to plan out your own trips. The goal is to build up some experience so I can take a week off and head down to Chareslton, S.C. I prefer traveling alone and understand there is a great risk riding alone over a long distance but I was wondering how you approach the journey.

Are you planning out your routes or modifying as you ride? Are you prebooking hotels? How have you left the bike overnight? Disk lock? I'm a believer that if someone wants the bike it isn't going to do much to deter it just might slow them down a little.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

I prebook hotels in case I get hassled at the border. I can always prove that I do have reservations somewhere and it's nice knowing that I'm guaranteed to have a bed at the end of the riding day. I use a disc lock and a cover.

I don't prebook, I just go, and when I get tired or it's close to sunset I find a place, rest and set the routes for tomorrow. repeat. the gps is actually great for timing how far the whole route you planned out is going to take (garmin montana)

understand there is a great risk riding alone over a long distance but I was wondering how you approach the journey.

Why? Is your bike not reliable??
Just get CAA PLus, have a decent Nav and watch your fuel if in the boonies. Also out of country medical insurance is critical but your CC might cover you for a few days

You might stop at McDs to book something once you know your destination for the evening. It's far easier to book online with say booking.com than going into a motel and asking

Cover on the bike is useful to keep the dew off - either park it where reception can see it or outside your window

Don't sweat it ....if your bike is reliable and tires in good nick - relax and FUGEDABOUDIT.

Morning and evening be wary for animals in PA...and it can be any time of day, deer and bear

For my upcoming trip:

- idea of where to go (destination for the day)
- pre-booked camping spots (motel in the US, we will book sometime during lunch when we know how far we can get
- pack light and necessities only

figure out what you want the trip to be, scenic with stops? or looking for those nice roads?

The bike is good and reliable I'm not concerned there. I've been inundated since I started riding "longer" distances I should have a buddy as a just in case.

Thanks to all who posted for the info.

I've been inundated since I started riding "longer" distances I should have a buddy as a just in case.

the reality is.....twice the chance of having "issues". If they are not riders....tell them nicely or not....stfu. Non-riders have no idea and let their imaginations get away with them.

Chatting on comm units is a nice way to pass the time during the boring parts but being able to ride, stop etc at your own pace is priceless.

The bike is good and reliable I'm not concerned there. I've been inundated since I started riding "longer" distances I should have a buddy as a just in case.

Thanks to all who posted for the info.

Probably 90% of my touring has been done on my own. But that doesn't change that this is a valid concern. Usually nothing happens - sometimes it does. So when on my own, I use a little extra caution - leave an itinerary so if I don't check in, at least someone has an idea of where to start looking for me. I did have an accident while touring on my own and fortunately it was not in as a remote a spot as some places I've been. No, it didn't stop me from doing two solo trips to the U.S. southwest after that. I accept the risk for what it is and do what I can to minimize that risk - but I don't just do it blindly - thinking nothing can happen to me. I've still got the X-rays to remind me it can :)

Currently I am more of the mindset that I would prefer 1 or 2 compatible riding companions - but I would still tour solo rather than just hook up with someone for a safety net.

Heading from Hamilton to Key West tomorrow "on my own". Have a cellphone and CAA and the bike is fully maintained. The time alone on the road is priceless.......

I toured around Vietnam for 30 days on my own on a 100cc Chinese piece of crap Honda knock off that was falling apart and needed to see a mechanic every other day.

I am sure you will manage on this side of the world on a proper bike just fine. Just go with the flow so to speak...

Enjoy my time on my own touring. I usually do not make reservations in advance due to I always find some new road to turn onto and lead me into a new direction. I like to ride for the journey not the destination. That being said, my gotta haves for any two day or longer trip is the following:
Cell Phone
Garmin GPS
CAA
CAA Paper Maps and books for regions I am likely to be in.
bottle of water, Protein bars (if you are stuck somewhere CAA/AAA can take some time to get you).
Rain Gear, nothing sucks worse than riding wet

Touring with friends is not some sort of a crime. I prefer that because it is easier to deal with mechanical breakdowns, emergency situations, injuries, leaving bikes attended in shady places, etc. OP's preference of course but some of you maybe don't have friends? ;)

Pre-booking hotels doesn't work out that well at times because distance covered may be way off vs plans. Nevertheless, I've encountered a situation when due to something called "Parents' Day" in the States, every single hotel was booked up and I got super gouged when I finally found a room after 2 hours or so.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom