When to replace tires | GTAMotorcycle.com

When to replace tires

FuzzyOne

Hey guys,

I recently bought a 2007 Ninja 650R that still had original tires on it, but with only 8,000 km on them
I put another 1,000 km on it already.

My question is, at what point do you change the tires due to age, even when the mileage is still low. Tread is good on them, just worrying about the tires drying out.

Thanks,

Fuzzy

I've heard/read 5 years.

You can test for age hardening of the rubber by pressing your thumbnail into the rubber to see if it's still pliant.

Last edited:
I was wondering because a new mechanic said I would replace them right away, but a quick call to Rosey Toes and he said don't worry about it at all.

What are you using the bike for ...

If all you are doing is commuting and riding gently, and never call upon the edges of the tires to give you traction in a corner, and never have the bike leaned way over, and you don't use it in wet weather, then perhaps old tires won't give you a problem.

If you are riding the bike the way it's meant to be ridden (It is a sport bike ...) then you need new tires, and I don't even need to look at them - just see how old they are.

WHAT IS MORE IMPORTANT A FEW $ OR YOUR LIFE? The rubber is the only thing that keeps you right side up.

Lots changes in the tire industry with all the competition between competitors... I read an interesting article that compared a top sport tire (BT-014) to a current T30 sport touring tire.. they are roughly 10 years apart. The sport touring tire beat the supersport tire in virtually every category (warm up, grip, wet grip, longevity, etc) ...

Personally, I change the tires well before the cords show because by then the handling is severely diminished. But like others have said, if you primarily commute and go A-B, a slightly older tire is fine. It won't grip as well as the latest stuff; treat it as such.

Well, I do ride pretty hard on the weekend, 200+ isn't exactly unknown. The fingernail imprint sticks in and I don't see any any issues when I gripped turns at 160+. I'm just thinking if it's an old tire, maybe I should change.

Fuzzy, if you are a spirited rider, replace the old rubber.

After 8 k anything possible. The surface is so thin I small stone can poke a hole in it.
Like others said. It's your life depending on 200 bucks.

Was the OEM rubber good, even in its day?
I've read that tires supplied as standard on new bikes is (sometimes?) not great.

Back
Top Bottom