Amount of luggage for weekend trips | GTAMotorcycle.com

Amount of luggage for weekend trips

What

Hey I was curious as to what you guys bring with you for different duration trips, Ive only ever done day trips and am looking to do more 3 day or weekend trips and am unsure about how much/what I should bring with me. Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

What kind of bike do you ride?

All I really need is my Visa, CAA and travel medical insurance.

That said I tend to bring my top box for an overnight trips and my side cases as well for a multi-day trip. If I am staying in a motel I can pack much less than if I am camping without needing the tent, stove, fuel, pillow, sleeping bag and air mattress.

I usually bring clothes that pack small and dry quickly if I need to wash them on the road. Assuming a 2 night/3day trip, I would bring 3x socks, 3x underwear, 3x t-shirts, 2x long sleeve shirts, 2x shorts or jeans, casual footwear, rain gear, extra pair of motorcycle gloves, sunglasses, hat, bug spray, first aid kit, headlamp, zip ties, duct tape, small vice grips and chain lube. I bring a small towel for my face or campground shower. I also keep a damp towel (in a zip lock bag) to wipe my windscreen or helmet visor.
I bring electronics: phone, GPS, camera, mp3 player, GoPro and all the chargers or cords that go with them, since I can charge anything I need from the outlets on my bike. Even though I tend to plot my routes beforehand in my GPS, I also bring paper maps in case the GPS fails.
I usually travel with snacks - trail mix, fruit, cliff bars, etc. I ride with a hydration knapsack that holds 2L of water.

I would suggest packing what you think you need for a ride and then heading out for a test or overnight trip. You will slowly find out exactly what works for you as it is different for everyone. If you plan on camping, doing a test run also helps to be able to figure out the easiest way to pack/unpack.

Hey I was curious as to what you guys bring with you for different duration trips, Ive only ever done day trips and am looking to do more 3 day or weekend trips and am unsure about how much/what I should bring with me. Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

are you camping or staying in a hotel / motel?

Clean underwear, socks, couple t shirts a toothbrush and a credit card.

Yup - for a single overnight - just about zilch. If you are doing it often get some technical shirts made of poly - wash them in the sink, dry in the morning. Stay off cottons for riding.

This time of year the layers can add up - it can be -4 in the PA mountains in the morning and 30 in the afternoon.
A top box is really all you need for overnight or even a few days. Hell lots of sports riders use a day pack.
You wear your gear and a change of shirt and undies is all..

New rider Jay had this "everything but the kitchen sink" load on his Vstrom for a 3 day jaunt....ended up dropping it twice and he wasn't even camping.
That's 50 ltr top case, two side bags and a humongous gear bag on the buddy seat PLUS a tank bag.
He laughed about it later.....he was a hiker used to light gear so I was surprised when he turned the Wee into a pack mule for a long weekend run.

5.jpg~original

Last edited:
Yea I ride a gs500 and was just thinking if I should pick up a tail bag or if a knapsack would be fine, I dont want to use a tank bag because they seem to scratch it all up from what ive seen from friends using them. I would also probably be staying in a hotel. Thanks for the help from everyone.

Backpacks put alot of strain on your back after extended hours. You can always cargo net any bag to your tail. Just hook it so it doesn't slide forward

Tank bags are nice because you dont need to get off your bike to access its contents; they also (usually) have a clear pocket for maps

I say tailbag and tankbag...maybe backpack but I honestly hate wearing one on the bike for longer durations (plus the worry if you have an accident).

For tankbags, look into either the bags-connection or givi tanklock bags. Essentially you bolt a ring/adapter to your gas cap, then the bag mounts to it. Nothing touches the tank, so no scratches.

I say tailbag and tankbag...maybe backpack but I honestly hate wearing one on the bike for longer durations (plus the worry if you have an accident).

For tankbags, look into either the bags-connection or givi tanklock bags. Essentially you bolt a ring/adapter to your gas cap, then the bag mounts to it. Nothing touches the tank, so no scratches.

This is pretty well my set up for 2-3 day trips, if staying in motels. I concentrate more on motorcycle specific essentials because u can pretty well get a toothbrush or pair of underwear anywhere, but not necessarily a replacement bulb for your lights chain lube or rain gear, etc. Toiletries, 1 short sleeve T, 1 long sleeve T, 1 sweater or sweatshirt, rain gear stuffed in somewhere.

If I use a backpack, my rule is not to pack anything in it I wouldn't want to land on.

For luggage on a multi-day trip youll need saddlebags. Lots of info around on the forums, hard or soft, with different sizes. currently using a gears tank bag, does me great and ive done a couple 2-up trips with them.

If you dont want to use a tank bag (to prevent scratches you need to make sure theres no small debris under your tank bag and on the magnets) use a tail bag, bungee to the back seat and it does the same thing as your tank bag, except its behind you.

Depending on your planned nightly accommodations, that will adjust how much you need to pack.

Re: using a back-pack. Try not to. strain on the back which makes riding less enjoyable, and probably make less distance during the day.

Try to be efficient, taking only what you need with you.

Just be weary with a smaller bike like the gs500.
A givi rack + 1 helmet topcase with a small toolroll will be enough to upset the geometry.
My old one became a lot less compliant over large expansions/dips/woops. A simple switch of the tool roll into the tank bag regained that suppleness.

Tailbags FTW, doesn't have to be motospecific. Any regular sports duffle does the trick just fine.

Here's my regular list of stuff, doesn't really matter how long I go for.

- second pair of jeans to the ones I wear
- two extra t-shirts
- one long sleeve t-shirt
- one sweater that's good for cold weather
- a couple extra pairs of undies and socks
- base layers/heated gear if I expect it's going to get chilly
- toiletry bag
- FroggToggs rain suit
- pair of walk around shoes that pack small, a comfy pair of shoes after a day on the bike is a godsend.
- Laptop/iPad, and relevant chargers
- Leatherman multitool, electrical tape, zip ties

my tip is to wear and pack old tshirts, etc. and toss them at the end of each day, which will allow you room for any purchases on the road

my tip is to wear and pack old tshirts, etc. and toss them at the end of each day, which will allow you room for any purchases on the road

+1 Save the "last use" for old undergarments for touring. Toss as you go. Pack a few good ones for the end of the trip though. :) hmmm...I need to go on a tour soon....

Back
Top Bottom