Harper says No to usual televised debates. Another blow to democracy or about time? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Harper says No to usual televised debates. Another blow to democracy or about time?

Zoodles95

Site Supporter
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/05/12/stephen-harper-election-debates_n_7265086.html

Apparently he is open to a debate hosted by TVA and another with Maclean's involvement. Still though these debates have been going on for many elections and I watch them everytime. Is this Harper's revenge for slights by the press or is it about time that someone else hosted these debates? Needless to say Harper has not been media friendly for sometime.

In other news at least Elizabeth May and the Green Party are getting a seat at the table:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/201...lizabeth-may-take-on-stephen-harper-1.3032892

It always bugged me that the Bloc participated in these debates even though they are not a National party (quite the contrary since they are only there for Quebec's interests) whereas the Green Party is an actual National Party. If we had proportional representation instead of our "first past the post" system then the Greens would have several seats.

What say you?

If I knew I was going to lose an election, I wouldnt want my debates being televised either

This was being discussed on 1010 yesterday. Apparently 85% (can't remember actual percentage but it was really high) of debate watchers opinions aren't impacted by the debate, they watch it for sport. If you're a Leafs fan, you're not going to switch to being a Sens fan because they win a game. Maybe he sees it as a waste of time? That said, however, he's a good debater, it would be in his interest for the 15% or so that can be swayed by a debate.

This was being discussed on 1010 yesterday. Apparently 85% (can't remember actual percentage but it was really high) of debate watchers opinions aren't impacted by the debate, they watch it for sport. If you're a Leafs fan, you're not going to switch to being a Sens fan because they win a game. Maybe he sees it as a waste of time? That said, however, he's a good debater, it would be in his interest for the 15% or so that can be swayed by a debate.

Words are cheap and are often outright lies. Actions speak.

Didn't Fantino avoid debates as well?

Embarrassing questions are more easily handled in a controlled press conference.

After the way he has sha% on our civil rights and the way he has sold us out on our environement. Also after putting Israeli citizens needs before Canadians... Im not surprised he doesn't wanna show up! Time for this dictator to leave our country alone and go to his homeland of Israel!

Back
Top Bottom