Bent fork options? Are fork inner tubes universal? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bent fork options? Are fork inner tubes universal?

drumstyx

Just bought a '99 GSX750F Katana with bent forks. I've been looking for a set of good used forks or inner tubes, but coming up dry. Anyone know of any options for straightening in Southern Ontario, or which other models might be compatible?

On a related note, it seems there are some places that sell fork tubes by simple specifications (length, diameter, etc). Are these things universal? Should I even be searching for "Katana forks" or should I just be looking for inner tubes in general?

Fork tubes aren't universal. There are probably other bikes that share the same dimensions as yours (no idea), but you can't just grab any set and throw them on. Are yours kinked or just a slight bend/bowed? If they're not kinked then you may have luck calling Captain Congeniality (you'll understand when you meet him) at Bent Bikes as I know he's straightened fork tubes in the past.

you may have luck calling Captain Congeniality...
LoL, heheh...
Johnny Bent can be gruff but he's a good guy and he'll fix you up.
See if he'll show you the mint 1979 CBX he keeps in there under a blanket!

Fork tubes aren't universal. There are probably other bikes that share the same dimensions as yours (no idea), but you can't just grab any set and throw them on. Are yours kinked or just a slight bend/bowed? If they're not kinked then you may have luck calling Captain Congeniality (you'll understand when you meet him) at Bent Bikes as I know he's straightened fork tubes in the past.

No kink. If I didn't know performance would likely suffer (not to mention heavy braking might not be good...), I'd ride it like this. In fact, I'll probably take it for a spin as-is too once I've got the fuel system and fairings sorted.

I've heard of Bent Bikes, never been. Sounds like I'll have to check them out next time I'm in Mississauga.

John at is the not-to-miss part of the Bent Bikes experience! In all seriousness though, he's awesome - he's forgotten more about bikes than I could ever hope to learn in a lifetime. He may even be able to get you a compatible replacement if he can't straighten them.

Last edited:
Captain Congeniality is semi retired now and only open Fridays and Saturdays. Call him at 905 273 3717.
(If those forks are the same as a '89 Gixxer, and I think they are, you'll have a hard time finding a used set. they're the best forks available to the vintage racers... and we hoard them).
Have you tried Forks by Frank?

Any machine shop can give them a go or even better try a prop shop if you're north of the city.

Captain Congeniality... he's gonna love that!

Captain Congeniality is semi retired now and only open Fridays and Saturdays. Call him at 905 273 3717.
(If those forks are the same as a '89 Gixxer, and I think they are, you'll have a hard time finding a used set. they're the best forks available to the vintage racers... and we hoard them).
Have you tried Forks by Frank?

Any machine shop can give them a go or even better try a prop shop if you're north of the city.

Captain Congeniality... he's gonna love that!

I've seen Forks by Frank, but I'm not sure what I'd be looking at cost wise; I've gotten a quote for $100/tube from a place in London (a company called 'the straightening king', I'd make the drive if I couldn't get a better deal than $200/tube more locally).

These forks are entirely serviceable, and quite honestly, if it were already registered (thereby not needing a safety), and my daily rider to and from the train station, I'd continue riding it to and from the train station. Wouldn't be touching the twisties though...

The later Katanas are very similar to the late 80's early 90's GSX-Rs, so I wouldn't be surprised. Maybe that's why it's been so damn hard to get ahold of (Even at Peterborough cycle's scrap yard, the one Kat they had there had its front end snatched up already)

Back
Top Bottom