Where do you buy your parts? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Where do you buy your parts?

And there we have it...

So if you REALLY needed that crush washer today where would you go? Online? Your not getting it for a few days, too bad your bikes parked this long weekend. There used to be plenty of shops around that you could purchase parts from but they're becoming more rare now that everyone buys parts online to save a few dollars.

The filters your buying, are they oem spin on filters? I highly doubt it.

I support local business so that there IS local businesses. When I need somthing today I have the option of going down to a local shop and buying what I need, not waiting 3+ days and then getting dinged for shipping/duty/handling charges and in the end saving $1.38.

More and more new riders just seem to want things for as cheap as possible and only care about saving a dollar or two. I see it all the time when I'm in the shop and it makes me sick when I hear "well can you do any better on that price because it's $7 cheaper online".

Keep saving your pennies and soon the only place to get anything will be the Internet and in the event you need a part in an emergency I'm sure eBay will come to your rescue. I'll continue to support local buisness as much as I possibly can because an extra few dollars isn't worth giving up the convenience of getting parts when I need them.

Oh hai.... I love your " support local businese" moto add that to your " support tickets of mohawk helmets" because you think it looks ridiculous and you just sum up 90% of mentality of Ontarian.

God bless this province

Oh hai.... I love your " support local businese" moto add that to your " support tickets of mohawk helmets" because you think it looks ridiculous and you just sum up 90% of mentality of Ontarian.

God bless this province
Your comparison makes no sense.

God bless this province

If I were to buy a mohawk it would be from a local shop.

It only took two pages of replies for things to go sour in a thread. To think people say GTAM isn't what it used to be.

Last edited:
So if you REALLY needed that crush washer today where would you go? Online? Your not getting it for a few days, too bad your bikes parked this long weekend. There used to be plenty of shops around that you could purchase parts from but they're becoming more rare now that everyone buys parts online to save a few dollars.

In my situation if I NEED a crush washer for the bike to run, I'm not going anywhere anyways since it's my only mode of motorized transport, and even if it wasn't, I don't mind waiting for it to come in and doing other things in the mean time.

The filters your buying, are they oem spin on filters? I highly doubt it.

They aren't, and I don't understand the obsession with OEM but that's for another time... Even if they were OEM, I guarantee they would be cheaper online due to overhead costs of running a brick and mortar store.

More and more new riders just seem to want things for as cheap as possible and only care about saving a dollar or two. I see it all the time when I'm in the shop and it makes me sick when I hear "well can you do any better on that price because it's $7 cheaper online".

This has nothing to do with being a new rider, I've been buying things online for years now. But I'm glad you've managed to butt in the fact that you have more motorcycle riding experience than me into this. :rolleyes:
I've bought computer parts and electronics from online stores many, many times and saved thousands of dollars on it. Why buy a juicer from house and home for $400 when I can get it online for $250 with free shipping? Why buy a set of computer parts for $1500 from Tiger Direct when I can get them for $1100 from Newegg? Why buy anything at all from Radioshack (actually it's gone now, I wonder why) or sayal electronics if I can get the same component for a fraction of the price on digikey?

Also, it's not just about saving pennies with regards to buying crush washers. It's about my time. I'd rather order something and do other things in the mean time instead of spending 2 hours of my time sitting around in traffic for a washer.

It's your money and I have no business telling you where to spend it, but for myself I find it much easier to buy things online. The ONLY reason you've given so far is that it's good in case of an emergency, which isn't really convincing to me.

Last edited:
Did you price out EMGO filters at the local shop? Last time I looked (a few years ago) they were under $10 each. $7-$8 IiRC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my situation if I NEED a crush washer for the bike to run, I'm not going anywhere anyways since it's my only mode of motorized transport, and even if it wasn't, I don't mind waiting for it to come in and doing other things in the mean time.

They aren't, and I don't understand the obsession with OEM but that's for another time... Even if they were OEM, I guarantee they would be cheaper online due to overhead costs of running a brick and mortar store.

This has nothing to do with being a new rider, I've been buying things online for years now. But I'm glad you've managed to butt in the fact that you have more motorcycle riding experience than me into this. :rolleyes:
I've bought computer parts and electronics from online stores many, many times and saved thousands of dollars on it. Why buy a juicer from house and home for $400 when I can get it online for $250 with free shipping? Why buy a set of computer parts for $1500 from Tiger Direct when I can get them for $1100 from Newegg? Why buy anything at all from Radioshack (actually it's gone now, I wonder why) or sayal electronics if I can get the same component for a fraction of the price on digikey?

Also, it's not just about saving pennies with regards to buying crush washers. It's about my time. I'd rather order something and do other things in the mean time instead of spending 2 hours of my time sitting around in traffic for a washer.

It's your money and I have no business telling you where to spend it, but for myself I find it much easier to buy things online. The ONLY reason you've given so far is that it's good in case of an emergency, which isn't really convincing to me.

You've never had an oil filter fail obviously, I have which is why I only use the expensive $12 oem ones. You could try and talk me into using a cheaper aftermarket filter but my life is worth far more than the $4 you save. Also certain parts are only available from the manufacturer.

I could care less about your riding experience but it's seemingly the mentality of new riders that buying online is always better.

With your bike being your only mode of transportation what will you do if you need to get to work and your clutch cable snaps, take 3-5 days off?

Again, do whatever you want but as the bike shops close and you have nowhere to actually get somthing when needed you'll understand what I'm getting at.

will you guys give me trouble buying online from a local shop?

Lol no.

I shop online. Window shop. To learn.

And then I spend my money at the local shop.

Crush washer? You need one? I have a tray of them. All given to me by my local shop. Cause I spend money there.

So let me ask you!

When you need forks serviced on your bike, who is going to do it online? Short term mentality yes, you saved 3/5 dollars on an oil filter but when those local shops close, who is going to service your bike, replace the engine when you need it to, fix your electrical problem when it happens?

Of course there will be enough demand that 1 or 2 will always be open, but have you noticed the waiting times to get anything done on a bike? are you willing to have your bike down for 2 months out of the summer when something goes wrong? Of course right now you are not thinking that could happen but give it a few years with most of the new riders and the general population buying everything online.

It is a balance, yes there are things that you must buy online, like i needed a new coil for a Goped, no one locally sell it so I had to ebay it, but if I need to buy anything locally I will, because at the end it will be of benefit to me on the long run, but I suspect you wont understand that.

So tell me, who is going to fix your bike ONLINE?

...and 'time" and 'gas' spent to go buy something?, seriously, we are riders, we look forward to having to buy **** so we can go on a ride and loiter inside a store finding something we need.. Oh I am sorry, your life is too busy since you have to be here typing stuff on a forum or spending countless hours in youtube or instagram.. You funny kid!

Last edited:
Let the market shape itself. Why can't these same shop sell online at these same competitive prices?

I'll support shops that have apparels to try on but if it's just parts & tires, online it is? Who's going to install it for me? I'm glad you ask I can do it myself. If I need my forks done who can do it? Myself. Even if I can't we have frekeyguy & Johnny on the forum.

I love online shopping, get all the info thrown at you & no need for rude customer service reps

So let me ask you!

When you need forks serviced on your bike, who is going to do it online? Short term mentality yes, you saved 3/5 dollars on an oil filter but when those local shops close, who is going to service your bike, replace the engine when you need it to, fix your electrical problem when it happens?

Of course there will be enough demand that 1 or 2 will always be open, but have you noticed the waiting times to get anything done on a bike? are you willing to have your bike down for 2 months out of the summer when something goes wrong? Of course right now you are not thinking that could happen but give it a few years with most of the new riders and the general population buying everything online.

It is a balance, yes there are things that you must buy online, like i needed a new coil for a Goped, no one locally sell it so I had to ebay it, but if I need to buy anything locally I will, because at the end it will be of benefit to me on the long run, but I suspect you wont understand that.

...and 'time" and 'gas' spent to go buy something?, seriously, we are riders, we look forward to having to buy **** so we can go on a ride and loiter inside a store finding something we need.. Oh I am sorry, your life is too busy since you have to be here typing stuff on a forum or spending countless hours in youtube or instagram.. You funny kid!

Let the free market speak.

Stop with this.... supporting local shop nonsense.

what worse was that attacking ppl by calling them "new rider" and "funny kid"

Age and riding experience have nothing to do with your loved local shops closed down.

Frankly if you were all middle aged women, i bet your little book club would boycott Amazon for closing down your favorite local bookstores .... back in the 2000s

Last edited:
Let the market shape itself. Why can't these same shop sell online at these same competitive prices?

I'll support shops that have apparels to try on but if it's just parts & tires, online it is? Who's going to install it for me? I'm glad you ask I can do it myself. If I need my forks done who can do it? Myself. Even if I can't we have frekeyguy & Johnny on the forum.

I love online shopping, get all the info thrown at you & no need for rude customer service reps

+1 most local shops here think riders are retarded and dont know how to run a business. Blame it to online shops for their failures. They sure have a fan base dont they?

For old OEM stuff, sometimes the dealer doesn't have it. Z1 Enterprises is great for Kawi stuff, cmsnl is essentially the same price as dealerships, but they'll have NOS stuff like you wouldn't believe.

+1 most local shops here think riders are retarded and dont know how to run a business. Blame it to online shops for their failures. They sure have a fan base dont they?
More like sponsored racers.
Yeah I see no biasness here

You did not answer my question? The Free market is not going to fix your Bike

and Rockerdude, as always you failed in comprehend the point of my post, go back and read it and then read yours, if you still feel your answer made sense then stay here and argue with yourself because I give up as I don't care that much or enough to argue with you.
Let the free market speak.

Stop with this.... supporting local shop nonsense.

what worse was that attacking ppl by calling them "new rider" and "funny kid"

Age and riding experience have nothing to do with your loved local shops closed down.

Frankly if you were all middle aged women, i bet your little book club would boycott Amazon for closing down your favorite local bookstores .... back in the 2000s

and Rockerdude, as always you failed in comprehend the point of my post, go back and read it and then read yours, if you still feel your answer made sense then stay here and argue with yourself because I give up as I don't care that much or enough to argue with you.
I didn't even call names but as they say Guilty conscience need no accuser

So let me ask you!

There's too much rambling here to answer to both of you in a structured manner, but let me answer two things that have been said

1) Who will fix my bike
I will fix my own bike with the help of service manuals and people on the internet. I actually find great pleasure in working on projects myself instead of forking out cash for simple jobs such as changing cable lines, brakes and various fluids. It's also assuring to know what exactly was done to the bike and how.

2) Rambling about taking pleasure in going to the store and buying stuff
I don't take pleasure in it at all, I'd rather work on my hobbies or be riding a bike on nice roads instead of sitting in traffic on the highway, then loitering around in store. It's like saying you love that part of biking when you stop by for 6th time at another tim hortons with your buddies. If you really don't know a difference between spending your time doing what you ENJOY and spending your time running errands, I don't know what to tell you. And don't tell me you LOVE driving half an hour out one way just to get a small part since your bike won't work.

3) (Bonus) Something something OEM is better
That's very debatable and I can buy OEM cheaper online than in the brick and mortar for the reason I mentioned before.

Like others said, enough with this local shop patriotism. Let people shop where they want. Things are different than they were 30 years ago, if business doesn't want to adapt to the changes it's their own problem. I don't think there's a good reason to try and force people to shop local. If buying everything locally was better for the customer, don't you think you wouldn't have to tell everyone to shop locally in the first place as most would know by now?

This local shop narrative is only steps away from the "Buy only Canadian goods and services" narrative if you ask me.

P.s you put in over 1k posts/year. I only have 61 right now which puts me around 82 posts/year. If one of us is wasting all their time posting on forums here, it's you.

Last edited:
I enjoy working on my bike as much as the next guy, but there is no Internet Mechanic and Service Manual combination that is going to give me the confidence to service my own forks. You?

Personally though, I would prefer to buy things from local entrepreneur's of small fortitude, followed by the Internet, followed by local dealerships. I don't know why people are bent on dealerships... no thanks.

There's too much rambling here to answer to both of you in a structured manner, but let me answer two things that have been said

1) Who will fix my bike
I will fix my own bike with the help of service manuals and people on the internet. I actually find great pleasure in working on projects myself instead of forking out cash for simple jobs such as changing cable lines, brakes and various fluids. It's also assuring to know what exactly was done to the bike and how.

2) Rambling about taking pleasure in going to the store and buying stuff
I don't take pleasure in it at all, I'd rather work on my hobbies or be riding a bike on nice roads instead of sitting in traffic on the highway, then loitering around in store. It's like saying you love that part of biking when you stop by for 6th time at another tim hortons with your buddies. If you really don't know a difference between spending your time doing what you ENJOY and spending your time running errands, I don't know what to tell you. And don't tell me you LOVE driving half an hour out one way just to get a small part since your bike won't work.

3) (Bonus) Something something OEM is better
That's very debatable and I can buy OEM cheaper online than in the brick and mortar for the reason I mentioned before.

Like others said, enough with this local shop patriotism. Let people shop where they want. Things are different than they were 30 years ago, if business doesn't want to adapt to the changes it's their own problem. I don't think there's a good reason to try and force people to shop local. If buying everything locally was better for the customer, don't you think you wouldn't have to tell everyone to shop locally in the first place as most would know by now?

This local shop narrative is only steps away from the "Buy only Canadian goods and services" narrative if you ask me.

P.s you put in over 1k posts/year. I only have 61 right now which puts me around 82 posts/year. If one of us is wasting all their time posting on forums here, it's you.

Its all about demand and supply.

The local shop has an advantage: repair service obviously. And if they treat their customers right, i dont see they would have problem making a profitable business. Just dont go and blame it on the online competitors for everything.

Back
Top Bottom