Getting over a crash...how? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Getting over a crash...how?

油井緋色;2308206 said:
Thinking of getting onto dirt because I want to get used to the rear sliding out. Not sure how to start this though...

I know exactly how you feel. I hyped myself up the whole winter season thinking "once I get back on the bike, I'll be faster than I was before"...nope lol tense and freaking out is more like it.
For dirt, try Trail Tours. It's been great that I think we're on our 5th year there this year. Started to go there because riding friend had a Vstrom and would keep finding gravel roads on our rides.. luckily for him.

For dirt, try Trail Tours. It's been great that I think we're on our 5th year there this year. Started to go there because riding friend had a Vstrom and would keep finding gravel roads on our rides.. luckily for him.

Trail Tours is awesome. I took my wife there and we had so much fun she insisted we go back.

Crashing sucks man. Your story sounds very similar to what happened to me at Racer5 except you had a much worse outcome. I went into the hard left (turn 2 i think?), didn't setup properly, dragged a peg and then the yard sale happened.

For weeks afterward left turns made me nervous. I just kept my speed down, focused on proper body position, and eventually it went away.

Trail Tours is awesome. I took my wife there and we had so much fun she insisted we go back.

Crashing sucks man. Your story sounds very similar to what happened to me at Racer5 except you had a much worse outcome. I went into the hard left (turn 2 i think?), didn't setup properly, dragged a peg and then the yard sale happened.

For weeks afterward left turns made me nervous. I just kept my speed down, focused on proper body position, and eventually it went away.

Yeah I remember watching your video at the cottage, very similar crash. It didn't help that following my trackday I had 2 addition oopsies and they were both right turns =/ Guess I'll just let time do it's thing.

油井緋色;2306565 said:
Some of you know that I had a highside at mosport rdt last year where I broke my collarbone.

I'm back on the saddle now but every right turn I take I am extremely hesitant. I decided to do some light ramping alone at very moderate speed (no where near knee dragging) and even that triggered some PTSD symptoms; I would look at the corner exit and suddenly experience a sensation of the rear kicking out and me hitting the guard rail. That broke my concentration and made me fixate at the guardrail. This happens with anything turning right from curbs to slippery lines...hell, I fixated at a curb turning right and ended hopping onto it and hopping off.

Left turns I have no problem with...only right. How the **** do I get over this?

And I'll emphasis this: this is not happening at a fast pace. Even taking intersection turns at 30km/h I'm involuntarily freaking out a little.

Do you understand/ know what caused the original high side?

Question, did you guys crash during the 3 day course? And from what I read on the site, you have to pay $500 deductible everytime you crash?

Question, did you guys crash during the 3 day course? And from what I read on the site, you have to pay $500 deductible everytime you crash?
Yes, it was the 3 day. The $500 is a maximum, and usually the damage done to the bike isn't $500 bad. But yes, I did have to pay over half that.

No. I had no problem with Racer5 at Grand Bend because our instructor (Paul) kept the group I was with under control. I crashed at the mosport rdt/ddt trackday.

It's $500 max every time you crash. You pay for the cost of parts he needs to replace (it's actually really cheap) Considering I flipped the bike, shredded his suit, and used an ambulance for free...I won't complain on paying $500 lol

Do you understand/ know what caused the original high side?

As stated before, there were multiple reasons:

I wasn't pacing myself as a friend had instructed me. I went balls out every session. In hindsight, I was extremely fatigued post lunch (limbs were slightly numb, reaction was sluggish).

I was trying to prevent knee dragging by tucking my knee in, hoping to attain a higher speed. Should've kept it out as it warns me when I can't go any lower.

Due to the above, I dragged the right peg. The dragging caused panic which resulted a tap in the front brake and a highside.

So lessons are...

Pace myself.
Don't **** up body position.
Don't touch the front brake when deep in a turn!

Last edited:
I crashed Round one last year, I didn't get any speed back until the last round of the year, this includes, practice days, Endurance 3 hour races and Satuurday and Sunday races. It takes a long time to get your grove back and I only broke my hand lol. It's all about confidence.

One thin g I did that helped me a lot while i was getting my hand motion back, was race a 250 in endurance for 3 weekends so I think it is a good idea to take your smaller bike.
so yeah, I had a pretty bad get off at TMP June 22 last year, popped my shoulder out and severed the (humerus) bone just past the ball. There ia a plate and pins holding it together.

I was back riding on the street by the end of august, but only went out a few times due to work and personal issues.

This past weekend, I went back to TMP with the same SV 650 to face my demon....it didn't turn out exactly as planned, I was alot slower that I thought I would be. I felt myself tensing up in the corners and not getting off the bike as much as I used to.

I think I'm going to try the DDT track at the end of June, but this time take my 250, not sure.

I crashed Round one last year, I didn't get any speed back until the last round of the year, this includes, practice days, Endurance 3 hour races and Satuurday and Sunday races. It takes a long time to get your grove back and I only broke my hand lol. It's all about confidence.

I've heard the thing happening to many trackday junkies and racers after talking to a few at LnL...glad to hear I'm not the only one and that this will pass with time.

Not with time but with SEAT time
油井緋色;2309789 said:
I've heard the thing happening to many trackday junkies and racers after talking to a few at LnL...glad to hear I'm not the only one and that this will pass with time.

This is it. I crashed a couple of weeks ago and my next day back, I felt like it was my first track day all over again. It's easy to say "get over it" or "grow a pair" but crashing really takes a bit of life out of you.

It's all about seat time and I still need plenty before I go as fast as I was before.

It's all about seat time and I still need plenty before I go as fast as I was before.

Is it possible to stay just this side of as fast as before?

油井緋色;2309784 said:
.... and used an ambulance for free...

And don't forget that you made everyone lose over 2 hours of track time because you requested the ambulance take you to the hospital instead of asking your girlfriend (who was there as a spectator) to drive you there for what is actually a non-serious injury. Sure, it hurts like hell, but man up next time.\

Sure, may sound a bit harsh, but there were *A LOT* of unhappy people when they learned by the ambulance left the track.

I apologized in the thread last year and will again. Having my ex drive me wasn't even a thought to me cause I didn't know they'd shut down the track until it returned.

...and I wasn't exactly thinking straight at the time

油井緋色;2309784 said:
No. I had no problem with Racer5 at Grand Bend because our instructor (Paul) kept the group I was with under control. I crashed at the mosport rdt/ddt trackday.

It's $500 max every time you crash. You pay for the cost of parts he needs to replace (it's actually really cheap) Considering I flipped the bike, shredded his suit, and used an ambulance for free...I won't complain on paying $500 lol

As stated before, there were multiple reasons:

I wasn't pacing myself as a friend had instructed me. I went balls out every session. In hindsight, I was extremely fatigued post lunch (limbs were slightly numb, reaction was sluggish).

I was trying to prevent knee dragging by tucking my knee in, hoping to attain a higher speed. Should've kept it out as it warns me when I can't go any lower.

Due to the above, I dragged the right peg. The dragging caused panic which resulted a tap in the front brake and a highside.

So lessons are...

Pace myself.
Don't **** up body position.
Don't touch the front brake when deep in a turn!

I dont get it, if you tap the front brake, wouldnt it cause you low side right away because the rear tire lose grip at lean angle?

maybe you chopped the throttle while trying not to low side ?

And don't forget that you made everyone lose over 2 hours of track time because you requested the ambulance take you to the hospital instead of asking your girlfriend (who was there as a spectator) to drive you there for what is actually a non-serious injury. Sure, it hurts like hell, but man up next time.\

Sure, may sound a bit harsh, but there were *A LOT* of unhappy people when they learned by the ambulance left the track.

Lol...when I crashed, the crash truck came out and the officials were helping me up.....I looked over and there is my wife with my truck on the track parked next to my bike...next thing I know I'm in it and on the way to the hospital....she wasn't there this past track day

If it was me, I'm not sure I'd give a **** about people being unhappy.

As much as everyone hates missing out on track time, I can imagine if something happened to him everyone would be saying, "Well that was stupid, he should have taken the ambulance and prioritized his life over worrying about how other people feel." I tend to agree.

I think the point was it was not life threatening.

He didn't know better, but does now. Most won't take the ambulance away if we can wait or catch a ride with someone else. Some providers have 2 ambulances on site, or a plan to call for another in as soon as the first one looks like it's going to do a transport.

I dont get it, if you tap the front brake, wouldnt it cause you low side right away because the rear tire lose grip at lean angle?

maybe you chopped the throttle while trying not to low side ?

I definitely chopped the throttle as well when the rear lifted but the high side occurred instantly when I tapped the front brake.

If it was me, I'm not sure I'd give a **** about people being unhappy.

As much as everyone hates missing out on track time, I can imagine if something happened to him everyone would be saying, "Well that was stupid, he should have taken the ambulance and prioritized his life over worrying about how other people feel." I tend to agree.

While I agree that it wasn't life threatening, the amount of pain I felt was preventing me from standing up so I wasn't sure what else I broke. I've fractured my skull before and managed to get up, walk a bit, vomit, then pass out lol

Its been one week since I crashed at shannonville and I can't wait to get back to the track. My left A/C joint ( shoulder area) was dislocated and I'm hoping I'll be able to ride on June 11; depends on pain and range of motion of my shoulder. I have no idea how I'll react once I'm actually at the track but I know I have to get back to the track as soon as possible. If I'm back to my normal pace or not doesn't matter as long as I get back to the track. The only way to get over a crash is to get back on the bike and don't have any expectation, just get back on the bike and take it easy and try to be as smooth as possible and hopefully you've learned from your mistake. The most important thing is to give your self time to get back to your normal pace. I know when I get back to corner 10 of the long track I'll be going super slow and I'll be going over the crash in my mind and thinking what I should have done different. The crash was on my 3rd track day and as a newbie all I can say is if you're having trouble with a corner, take it slow and go back to the basic, remember you go where you look and give it a little throttle in the turn and ride at your pace, not what you think your pace should be. Good luck and keep riding:)

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom