Question about Certification ... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Question about Certification ...

Owlman

Apologies if this is not the proper place for this.

What constitutes a "Motorcycle Certification" in Ontario and what does it mean i.e. Does it mean the bike is perfectly safe to ride? Does it point out any areas that need to be fixed?

I checked out the buyer's guide post and though was extremely helpful still has some of these lingering questions.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I moved it to an appropriate location, because where you originally posted it, no one but yourself could reply to the thread ...

"Certification", also known properly as a "safety standards certificate", means that a specified list of technical requirements is in compliance with regulatory requirements. It DOES NOT mean that the bike is "safe", nor is it in any way a "warranty". The engine could be ready to explode into shrapnel and seize up and dump oil all over your tires in the process, but as long as the lights work, the horn works, the brakes work, it has a mirror, the steering head bearings aren't ready to fall apart, etc, it is "in compliance with regulatory requirements". Furthermore, that list of technical requirements is "as of the date and time of inspection". The headlight could work at the time that the inspector was looking at it, but if the bulb burns out tomorrow, too bad so sad.

This type of inspection could quite possibly result in a list of things that need to be fixed (and then re-inspected). This in no way implies that what's on that list includes EVERYthing that is wrong with the bike. An engine could have completely shot piston rings and be burning a litre of oil every 400 km and have a rod knock, but the bike it's in may have nothing wrong with it that's on the specified list of things that are on the inspection list.

I do safety inspections, although on a different type of apparatus (industrial), and the one thing that you NEVER say, is that something is "safe". It may be "in compliance". But it is only as "safe" as the idiot at the controls together with the clown doing the maintenance. "At the time of review" are words often seen, too. I don't know what's going to happen the moment I walk out the door. And very similarly, there is a specific list of things that have to be checked against requirements. Those requirements have nothing whatsoever to do with whether the machine is capable of producing good products at the production rate required. That's for someone else's inspection list.

I moved it to an appropriate location, because where you originally posted it, no one but yourself could reply to the thread ...

"Certification", also known properly as a "safety standards certificate", means that a specified list of technical requirements is in compliance with regulatory requirements. It DOES NOT mean that the bike is "safe", nor is it in any way a "warranty". The engine could be ready to explode into shrapnel and seize up and dump oil all over your tires in the process, but as long as the lights work, the horn works, the brakes work, it has a mirror, the steering head bearings aren't ready to fall apart, etc, it is "in compliance with regulatory requirements". Furthermore, that list of technical requirements is "as of the date and time of inspection". The headlight could work at the time that the inspector was looking at it, but if the bulb burns out tomorrow, too bad so sad.

This type of inspection could quite possibly result in a list of things that need to be fixed (and then re-inspected). This in no way implies that what's on that list includes EVERYthing that is wrong with the bike. An engine could have completely shot piston rings and be burning a litre of oil every 400 km and have a rod knock, but the bike it's in may have nothing wrong with it that's on the specified list of things that are on the inspection list.

I do safety inspections, although on a different type of apparatus (industrial), and the one thing that you NEVER say, is that something is "safe". It may be "in compliance". But it is only as "safe" as the idiot at the controls together with the clown doing the maintenance. "At the time of review" are words often seen, too. I don't know what's going to happen the moment I walk out the door. And very similarly, there is a specific list of things that have to be checked against requirements. Those requirements have nothing whatsoever to do with whether the machine is capable of producing good products at the production rate required. That's for someone else's inspection list.

Hi Brian, thank you for this. Would it be correct to say that a bike cannot be registered without a safety cert? If a seller of a used bike is not willing to certify, then I would have to find a way to get the bike down to a place for certification before I can ride? Am I missing something? My apologies if I am being naive here.

Incidentally, how much approximately should I expect certification to cost?

You can't plate it without the safety. It can be registered/transfer ownership UNFIT though. If the seller doesn't do it you have to if you want to plate it for road use. Cost around $60-100.

Without a safety you can go to the ministry with ownership and transfer it under your name provided you have insurance.... And get a temp sticker with the plates...... Temp sticker costs $15...... You can then ride the bike for 10 days and take it to a mechanic for a safety in that time frame

A lot of car mechanics can safety bikes.... $60

You can't plate it without the safety. It can be registered/transfer ownership UNFIT though. If the seller doesn't do it you have to if you want to plate it for road use. Cost around $60-100.

Without a safety you can go to the ministry with ownership and transfer it under your name provided you have insurance.... And get a temp sticker with the plates...... Temp sticker costs $15...... You can then ride the bike for 10 days and take it to a mechanic for a safety in that time frame

A lot of car mechanics can safety bikes.... $60

The bike must already have a FIT status on the registration, in order for you to get a temporary sticker. It will say right on the registration (green slips of paper). 99/100 times most bikes you'll look at will say FIT.

Apologies if this is not the proper place for this.

What constitutes a "Motorcycle Certification" in Ontario and what does it mean i.e. Does it mean the bike is perfectly safe to ride? Does it point out any areas that need to be fixed?

I checked out the buyer's guide post and though was extremely helpful still has some of these lingering questions.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

This can vary greatly from shop to shop (and tech to tech). As many before have said, the "Safety Certificate" is a minimum set of standards only. The challenge from the shop's side is not misrepresenting what is unsafe by the ministry set minimum standards, and what could create an unsafe condition though it is not necessarily outlined by the minimum standards. Tire condition is my personal pet peeve. Unless you can see cords, tire "condition" does not factor into the minimum standards. However it does not take a great leap of imagination to see how an old, feathered tire with enough tread depth could still be unsafe. I (and the shop I manage) try to be very clear when we do safties to distinguish between stuff that you must do to pass the MTO safety, and other items such as maintenance that should be done to ensure your (and the bike's) longevity. I have in the past worked for people who do not make that distinction well enough and either sign off on the MTO safety without passing on enough information to the customer, or try to pass of maintenance items as safety requirements. Both are bad without the proper communication (my opinion).

Back
Top Bottom