Buying a vintage low cc motorcycle for my first bike as a beginner | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buying a vintage low cc motorcycle for my first bike as a beginner

Yes, the CT90 seems to have had a long enough run. The engine is dead simple to maintain, and gas mileage is phenomenal. Parts and maintenance would not be a problem.

I had a C70, the street version, a long time back, and looking at the CT90 I cringe at the leading link front forks were terrible at absorbing bumps on the road, and the drum brakes were scary for emergency stops. While I do like the concept of riding a vintage bike, from a practical view I'd not use it as a daily rider. The street version had a lower fairing that completely protected the rider's legs from water and cold. At 70ccs, I recall there was an issue with keeping up with traffic at 60kph. The bike would rather cruise at 50kph, much to my chagrin.
Yeah I think I'm off of the idea of the ct90 now. A lot of the ones I've seen don't seem to be road ready (no turn signals etc) which is completely understandable for a bike used more in the country.

So far my new lineup of bikes to look at are

If I were to buy relatively new:
Sym wolf classic 150
Sym symba 100

If I hit the used market:
Yamaha virago 250
Possibly Honda rebel 250

So many bikes!

Sent from my Samsung S6 using Tapatalk

Do any of the traditional Japanese manufacturers make small displacement street bikes anymore? I mean standard naked, not fairinged sport bike style.

Suzuki TU250
http://www.suzuki.ca/?q=en/node/560

Honda Grom (although the styling is kinda "funky"
http://motorcycle.honda.ca/model/naked/grom

Yamaha Star 250
https://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/details.php?model=4485&group=MC&catId=2

The TU250 would be an interesting choice for the OP. Modern, yet vintage. If you want something modern that has the feel of a street legal minibike the Honda Grom fits the bill.

Suzuki TU250
http://www.suzuki.ca/?q=en/node/560

Honda Grom (although the styling is kinda "funky"
http://motorcycle.honda.ca/model/naked/grom

Yamaha Star 250
https://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/details.php?model=4485&group=MC&catId=2

The TU250 would be an interesting choice for the OP. Modern, yet vintage. If you want something modern that has the feel of a street legal minibike the Honda Grom fits the bill.

yeah i've definitely noticed a lot of people recommending the suzuki tu250. i actually looked at a grom this weekend and i just find the body style and wheels to be a bit too toy-ish looking.

i'm guessing the yamaha star is an updated version of the virago?

yeah i've definitely noticed a lot of people recommending the suzuki tu250. i actually looked at a grom this weekend and i just find the body style and wheels to be a bit too toy-ish looking.

i'm guessing the yamaha star is an updated version of the virago?

I am assuming it is although I am sure there have been some minor updates over the years. Yamaha seems to have distanced itself from the Virago moniker years ago and all of their cruisers are under the Star brand now. Probably a good idea actually as I see a lot of Star cruisers mixed in with HD, Vulcans, and Victorys when I see cruisers riding together. Yamaha has done a good job with the Star brand and they were one of the first Japanese brands I saw where you could really do some customization of the bike with stock parts by having different rims etc right from the get-go. They are doing really well with the Bolt. Sweet bike!

To get back OT, if you could snag a slightly used TU250 I think that would be the "safest" choice. If you decide to move up to a larger bike you will sell it pretty easily with little to no depreciation. The Sym is an interesting alternative; especially since they are fairly rare and that they are essentially a 1970s Honda still in production. The trouble is I do not know how well manufactured they are, how easy it is to get parts for etc. Also, it will be a lot more difficult to unload a Sym Wolf than a Suzuki TU 250.

A side note... One of my female housemates in University rode a Honda Rebel 250. She rode back to Toronto from Kingston on the thing regularly and rode to class with it. Even the retro 250s got the job done so the TU 250 would make a great city bike but you could take it onto the DVP and out of the city if you had a desire to.

Great thread about the bike here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=414302

The TU 250 is nice because of the modern FI system and front disc brake. You get the light bike, small cc, cheaper insurance, retro bike and styling, yet modern and reliable.

Heck, I have thought of downsizing for my next ride. Now that I have the CB 750 dialed in and reliable I find it heavy, poor braking etc. Would not mind a similar power to weight ratio in a lighter, smaller bike. So, I could look at a modern naked like a CB 500F, or go into something like a 650 V-Strom etc. Not sure if I want something with as much power as a FZ-07 or GSX-S750 and I want to keep my licence and abstract clean. I drive for a living!

I am assuming it is although I am sure there have been some minor updates over the years. Yamaha seems to have distanced itself from the Virago moniker years ago and all of their cruisers are under the Star brand now. Probably a good idea actually as I see a lot of Star cruisers mixed in with HD, Vulcans, and Victorys when I see cruisers riding together. Yamaha has done a good job with the Star brand and they were one of the first Japanese brands I saw where you could really do some customization of the bike with stock parts by having different rims etc right from the get-go. They are doing really well with the Bolt. Sweet bike!

To get back OT, if you could snag a slightly used TU250 I think that would be the "safest" choice. If you decide to move up to a larger bike you will sell it pretty easily with little to no depreciation. The Sym is an interesting alternative; especially since they are fairly rare and that they are essentially a 1970s Honda still in production. The trouble is I do not know how well manufactured they are, how easy it is to get parts for etc. Also, it will be a lot more difficult to unload a Sym Wolf than a Suzuki TU 250.

A side note... One of my female housemates in University rode a Honda Rebel 250. She rode back to Toronto from Kingston on the thing regularly and rode to class with it. Even the retro 250s got the job done so the TU 250 would make a great city bike but you could take it onto the DVP and out of the city if you had a desire to.

Great thread about the bike here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=414302

The TU 250 is nice because of the modern FI system and front disc brake. You get the light bike, small cc, cheaper insurance, retro bike and styling, yet modern and reliable.

Heck, I have thought of downsizing for my next ride. Now that I have the CB 750 dialed in and reliable I find it heavy, poor braking etc. Would not mind a similar power to weight ratio in a lighter, smaller bike. So, I could look at a modern naked like a CB 500F, or go into something like a 650 V-Strom etc. Not sure if I want something with as much power as a FZ-07 or GSX-S750 and I want to keep my licence and abstract clean. I drive for a living!

Yeah so far I haven't see many used Sym Wolfs in the GTA. Resale value doesn't seem too great either. Just saw a 2013 Sym Wolf sell for only 1200 on kijiji (although it already had 18,000 KM on it which is pretty nuts!).

I'm gonna have to see about the size of the Suzuki TU250. I want my ride to be as compact as possible without getting into scooter territory. My single car garage is pretty small.

edit: just doing more research and heres a nice post describing the Suzuki TU250 vs the Sym Wolf Classic 150

http://canadamotoguide.com/2013/07/29/suzuki-tu250x-and-sym-wolf-150-comparo/

Last edited:
Re: Buying a low cc bike for first ride as a beginner

Check out some of the newer Honda CB's or hornets

The Sym Symba looks like a straight-up copy of the Honda Super Cub. If you wanted a Super Cub, you should be happy with a Symba. The online reviews seem positive, though it is hard to find negative reviews in the blogosphere...I recall seeing a blog last year by some couple who took their Symbas around the world; that story might contain some useful details.

We had a couple of Groms at the rider safety course. Felt just like a full-sized motorcycle, with all the bells and whistles. Fuel injection, disk brakes, LED console. I'm pretty big, and there were a couple of 300+ lb country boys in the class. We all liked the bikes, and they had no problem carrying us. I'd be happy to have one for riding around town.

Last edited:

Check out some of the newer Honda CB's or hornets

im sure they're great bikes but i'm just not into that style.

The Sym Symba looks like a straight-up copy of the Honda Super Cub. If you wanted a Super Cub, you should be happy with a Symba. The online reviews seem positive, though it is hard to find negative reviews in the blogosphere...I recall seeing a blog last year by some couple who took their Symbas around the world; that story might contain some useful details.

We had a couple of Groms at the rider safety course. Felt just like a full-sized motorcycle, with all the bells and whistles. Fuel injection, disk brakes, LED console. I'm pretty big, and there were a couple of 300+ lb country boys in the class. We all liked the bikes, and they had no problem carrying us. I'd be happy to have one for riding around town.

yeah the symba is totally a copy of the cub. i guess SYM used to be manufacturers for Honda a long time ago and made cubs for them. Although now I'm definitely leaning towards the Suzuki TU250 or Sym Wolf 150.

as for the couple who traveled with the symba, i believe its these two : http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=716979 (i think theres also a blog they post on but dont have the link for it).

i can't wait to start taking actual lessons though. just trying to line up a schedule with some friends and the wife who also want to get riding. We're thinking of just doing the Humber one, but if anyone has suggestions as to which course would be ideal that would be sweet.

OP, I have a "cafe racer".. i'm no longer in my 20's but the seating position is getting tough on my lower back and wrists...

The 250cc crusier's are OK... but if you pick up things quickly i'd consider getting on the bigger ~600cc cruisers... the 250 is painfully slow and doesn't inspire much confidence on the highway. I have a decent amount of seat time on the maurader 250 - it was a bit unnerving.

Last edited:

OP, I have a "cafe racer".. i'm no longer in my 20's but the seating position is getting tough on my lower back and wrists...

The 250cc crusier's are OK... but if you pick up things quickly i'd consider getting on the bigger ~600cc cruisers... the 250 is painfully slow and doesn't inspire much confidence on the highway. I have a decent amount of seat time on the maurader 250 - it was a bit unnerving.
arg
For a "mid-size" cruiser I really like the Kawasaki Vulcan S with a variant of the 650 cc liquid cooled parallel twin used in the Ninja 650.

Since the OP is concerned about garage space then the Suzuki TU250 might be a better option since it will be a physically smaller bike.

FWIW, my garage is a small single car garage as well. My CB 750 works in there but I keep it parked to the far right near the front. I use the centre stand so that it is not leaning to the left when on the side stand.

just curious what bike do you have?

i just don't want to get hung up on thinking about the 'next' ride all of the time when i haven't even ridden one yet haha.

i've already jumped from a honda tc90, to the sym symba 100, to sym wolf 150 and now to the suzuki tu250. i'm certainly in no rush but at some point i'm gonna just have to stop and make a decision. i think 250 is a fair start and it seems the suzuki gets a lot of love, not to mention high resale value (esp compared to a sym wolf).

arg
For a "mid-size" cruiser I really like the Kawasaki Vulcan S with a variant of the 650 cc liquid cooled parallel twin used in the Ninja 650.

Since the OP is concerned about garage space then the Suzuki TU250 might be a better option since it will be a physically smaller bike.

FWIW, my garage is a small single car garage as well. My CB 750 works in there but I keep it parked to the far right near the front. I use the centre stand so that it is not leaning to the left when on the side stand.

i live in a small townhouse with a garage that i can barely get my family honda civic in, at least width-wise. length-wise i can probably fit a bike in at the very front or end of the garage. i think the sym wolf is even smaller than the suzuki 250. the suzuki doesn't come with a center stand by default whereas the wolf does (not that this would be the deciding point between the two).

anyway thanks for all the help and suggestions so far!

i just don't want to get hung up on thinking about the 'next' ride all of the time when i haven't even ridden one yet haha.

i've already jumped from a honda tc90, to the sym symba 100, to sym wolf 150 and now to the suzuki tu250. i'm certainly in no rush but at some point i'm gonna just have to stop and make a decision. i think 250 is a fair start and it seems the suzuki gets a lot of love, not to mention high resale value (esp compared to a sym wolf).
Cx500

MRgFt3P.jpg

You're right. Best to jump on and try them if you can. Personally, I didn't like the 250cc cruiser. The Honda cbr250 wasn't too bad and I could live with it in the city for sure.

Ha ha! Why go 250cc when you can go 500cc?

The CB500F is a nice bike and will be EVEN more "future proof" than the TU250... ;)

Since you were looking at an essentially street legal mini-bike I think the TU250 would be an ideal starting point. Heck, the 150cc bikes I was riding at my M2 exit course were able to get me around just fine and I had those bikes upwards of typical street legal speeds at times.

For some reason we seem to get bored of our bikes much quicker than the typical car driver does with their cages. Not sure why that is. I have had my bike for 4 seasons now and I am starting to get the itch. In my case though I would like something a little smaller, a little lighter, and a little more agile. That could mean a bump down to something like a CB500F or it could mean a bump down to something which would be even quicker like a CBR650 or Ninja 650. I seem to be drawn more to the modern naked bikes right now for some reason so bikes like the FZ07, FZ09, GSXS750, Monster etc catch my eye...

This is likely far from your last bike. Odds are you will have it 1-4 seasons and move on. That seems to be the trend. That being said one of the guys I used to truck with has a Ninja 300 and he is still very happy with it and has not had the urge to move on yet.

Suzuki Savage 650 / Boulevard S40. It's 380 lb, single cylinder, air cooled, so pretty light and low powered (31hp). I saw many of them at Cycleworld Superstore today. Yes, it's a 650 but it being air cooled and a single, it will be manageable. You'll have to research the gas mileage. The Savage is a great beginner bike.

300px-SuzukiSavage1988.jpg

Dont buy SYM, the whole point of having vintage bike is the original branding, not copy cats. You might as well buy cafe racer project bikes if you're into the look.

I would suggest getting a CB1 (400cc). Its not vintage but its light and very special.

Cx500

MRgFt3P.jpg

You're right. Best to jump on and try them if you can. Personally, I didn't like the 250cc cruiser. The Honda cbr250 wasn't too bad and I could live with it in the city for sure.

Dresden, that has turned out awesome!

Dont buy SYM, the whole point of having vintage bike is the original branding, not copy cats. You might as well buy cafe racer project bikes if you're into the look.

I would suggest getting a CB1 (400cc). Its not vintage but its light and very special.
Unfortunately the cb1 style doesn't suit me at all.

As for copy cats, sym were the ones who built the cb125s for honda.

Still not totally sold on the wolf but so far I've decided I'm definitely not getting an old vintage bike. But I'm having an issue trying to find an affordable first bike in that retro style. The suzuki tu250 would probably be the closest I can find to the style I want (not as nice looking as the sym wolf imo) and at an ok price point for me.

Sent from my Samsung S6 using Tapatalk

I started out on a vintage bike,, actually two. I do t recommend it.. Chances are you are going to do more tinkering then riding.. If I had to do it all over.. I would start off on a work horse that can take a beating and her riding hours in... Then get the vintage

"If i was educated, I'd be a damn fool"

Back
Top Bottom