Buying a vintage low cc motorcycle for my first bike as a beginner | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buying a vintage low cc motorcycle for my first bike as a beginner

iblastoff

Buying a low cc bike for first ride as a beginner

Hey everyone,

I want to start riding for pleasure and commute to work (no highway). I've been looking at 1960's Honda CT90/200s and thought these would be great beginner bikes due to supposed reliability and automatic clutch. They're only around 90cc but should be enough for in-city riding.

I've been doing some reading and it seems the later 60's/70 models are supposed to be better than the earlier 60s models (ct200), is that correct? Due to not having to manually change the gear for high/low and other improvements?

I just want to make sure this is a good choice for a beginner bike. Is there anything I should watch out for? any different models? I like the look of these vintage bikes and not so much the way ninjas look.

Obviously I will be taking safety classes and going for the M1/M2 etc.

UPDATED:

Thanks for the responses so far. I've decided to look at a variety of other options now. From the Sym Wolf Classic 150 to the Suzuki TU250. I still prefer a cafe racer style of bike. Something that is smaller and more compact but can hopefully still seat two for short distances.

Last edited:
The only concern could be the cost vs reliability etc. vintage bikes are very cool. I have a cb550 I will get around to restoring some day. But IMHO they don't make good beginner bikes, older tech. Not so good brakes, carbs, etc.

Have you considered a Honda Grom or a 125cc starter. Also some nice 250cc dual sports could be considered.

Now if you like to wrench and are into older bike go for it.

Keep us posted on what you decide.

Unless you are very mechanically inclined, vintage usually is not a good beginner bike unless it's 100% reliable. Something in the 125/250 range and somewhat modern would be best. Probably 80s would be the oldest....again depending on it's reliability.

Mid/early 80s Japanese bikes are overbuilt, making them reliable. Still, they need maintenance, which might be expensive. As stated, old bikes come in a wide variety of reliability. If you cannot repair stuff yourself, it will quickly become expensive. Sometimes getting spare parts for a 30 year old bike is not easy, depending on the bike. Check to see if the bike had had a long production run, like more than 2 years.

Also, I find that front wheel drum brakes are simply terrifying as they need more stopping distance. I'd stick with a front disk brake. I'd stay away from vintage bikes with a front drum, purely for safety reasons.

If you are unsure, I'd stick with a Japanese scooter, or a more modern Honda 125cc. Riding is better than repairing, for most people.

Unless you know the maintenance history of one of these bikes and it has been gone through really well I would steer you towards something funky like the Honda Grom. I ride a 1981 CB 750 and I am STILL exorcising the demons of past deferred maintenance and clumsy shadetree mechanics.

Hey everyone,

I want to start riding for pleasure and commute to work (no highway). I've been looking at 1960's Honda CT90/200s and thought these would be great beginner bikes due to supposed reliability and automatic clutch. They're only around 90cc but should be enough for in-city riding.

I don't have intimate knowledge about these bikes but I think they were produced pretty much unchanged for eons and built in the hundreds of thousands if not millions. They were used as "Postie" bikes in Australia for decades. You can even find some long distance/fully loaded ride reports on Advrider. Direct replacement Lifan engines and other parts are available. So if you find one in good nick you could keep one running forever as I understand it. Question is, is this what you bargained for? Do you want to wrench or do you want to ride?

Mid/early 80s Japanese bikes are overbuilt, making them reliable. Still, they need maintenance, which might be expensive. As stated, old bikes come in a wide variety of reliability. If you cannot repair stuff yourself, it will quickly become expensive. Sometimes getting spare parts for a 30 year old bike is not easy, depending on the bike. Check to see if the bike had had a long production run, like more than 2 years.

Also, I find that front wheel drum brakes are simply terrifying as they need more stopping distance. I'd stick with a front disk brake. I'd stay away from vintage bikes with a front drum, purely for safety reasons.

If you are unsure, I'd stick with a Japanese scooter, or a more modern Honda 125cc. Riding is better than repairing, for most people.
Here is one article on the Honda ct90. The production run on these were pretty long.

http://m.motorcycle-usa.com/290/16639/Motorcycle-Article/Memorable-Motorcycle--Honda-CT90.aspx

But regardless its still an old bike and maintenance will definitely be a concern. Thanks!

Sent from my Samsung S6 using Tapatalk

I don't have intimate knowledge about these bikes but I think they were produced pretty much unchanged for eons and built in the hundreds of thousands if not millions. They were used as "Postie" bikes in Australia for decades. You can even find some long distance/fully loaded ride reports on Advrider. Direct replacement Lifan engines and other parts are available. So if you find one in good nick you could keep one running forever as I understand it. Question is, is this what you bargained for? Do you want to wrench or do you want to ride?
Yeah this sounds about right. Lots of these guys are out there for parts and etc.

Another random review

http://canadamotoguide.com/2012/06/23/the-past-due-review-honda-ct90/

with a bit more research i think i may start looking at the sym symba 100 too! i guess its a modern take at the honda cub which is perfect! i love the vintage look but hopefully avoids any vintage issues.

Meh, it's a great idea and nothing wrong with getting a little grease under your finger nails to add to the hip cred.

It just comes down to parts.

Maintence is what it is. Tires, oil, brakes, plugs, air filter and maybe some other mechanical adjustments from time to time. Learn about the machine. It's not rocket science.

Embrace that attitude and go forth!

Hey everyone,

I want to start riding for pleasure and commute to work (no highway).

I've been doing some reading and it seems the later 60's/70 models are supposed to be better than the earlier 60s models (ct200), is that correct?

Obviously I will be taking safety classes and going for the M1/M2 etc.

So, just for arguments sake, what you're trying to do with your first motorcycle is like a first time car owner/driver buying a 1969 VW Beetle? Sound about right? Rose coloured glasses? Not that there's anything wrong with at.

So, just for arguments sake, what you're trying to do with your first motorcycle is like a first time car owner/driver buying a 1969 VW Beetle? Sound about right? Rose coloured glasses? Not that there's anything wrong with at.

that could very well be! just trying to do more research. the sym symba i posted earlier (http://www.symcanada.com/symba100.html) seems to basically be the modernized version of it. doesn't seem like sym the brand gets much respect around here though.

Now I'm looking at the sym wolf classic 150. Looks like basically a honda cb 125 clone.

Do any of the traditional Japanese manufacturers make small displacement street bikes anymore? I mean standard naked, not fairinged sport bike style.

Last edited:
Your biggest hurdle with a "vintage" bike will be with insurance. Anything over 25 yrs old and most insurance companies won't touch it.

Yes, the CT90 seems to have had a long enough run. The engine is dead simple to maintain, and gas mileage is phenomenal. Parts and maintenance would not be a problem.

I had a C70, the street version, a long time back, and looking at the CT90 I cringe at the leading link front forks were terrible at absorbing bumps on the road, and the drum brakes were scary for emergency stops. While I do like the concept of riding a vintage bike, from a practical view I'd not use it as a daily rider. The street version had a lower fairing that completely protected the rider's legs from water and cold. At 70ccs, I recall there was an issue with keeping up with traffic at 60kph. The bike would rather cruise at 50kph, much to my chagrin.

Back
Top Bottom