Tap and Die shop recomendations? Stripped oil filter bolt | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tap and Die shop recomendations? Stripped oil filter bolt

m9hrdad

Site Supporter
Hey guys,

I was at Suzuki of Newmarket earlier this week getting an oil change on my 2005 Gsxr 1000 when they pointed out that the bolt where the oil filter screws onto is stripped. They managed to change the oil, however, they had to throw on the existing filter because they couldn't get a new one on there without worsening the problem. According to Suzuki the 2005 GSXR 1000's dont have a replaceable bolt that can be swapped on (like some of the newer models). Instead, the bolt is part of the crankcase itself.

Do you guys know of a reputable shop/mechanic that would be able to re-die the thread on the bolt?

If there's a better solution that you may know of, please let me know.

Thanks and ride safe!

Perhaps Suzuki of Newmarket should have offered to fix the problem for you, and estimated the cost...
Did they not do so?
It is of course the peak of the hectic spring season, so... maybe they just decided that you were done.

Can you try to get a thread chaser in there?

Perhaps Suzuki of Newmarket should have offered to fix the problem for you, and estimated the cost...
Did they not do so?
It is of course the peak of the hectic spring season, so... maybe they just decided that you were done.

They did give me a quote. They suggested I replace the entire lower block which would run me over $3500 in just parts. Can't knock them though, they did do their due diligence and research other solutions. Rethreading the bolt where the oil filter sits seems to be the only option.

In newer models the bolt that the oil filter screws into is replaceable. It costs a couple bucks and the issue is solved. On the K5 and K6's though, it's part of the crankcase.

Thanks for the reply! Did you maybe know anyone that can rethread (re-die) the bolt for me?

Can you try to get a thread chaser in there?

I've read on another forum that it's possible. This however, is something a little out of realm of comfort as I've never done it before. Do you know of any good mechanics or shops that I could go to? I'd rather the professionals dealt with it.

What about... getting the newer bolt from a new model, get a shop to cut yours off and tap the crankcase with the female threads of the new one. That way you have a replaceable filter bolt.

Sorry I can't give you shop recommendations though, try calling around? I find smaller shops are usually more helpful with that kind of stuff, I use 109 cycles but that's a bit far for you.

What about... getting the newer bolt from a new model, get a shop to cut yours off and tap the crankcase with the female threads of the new one. That way you have a replaceable filter bolt.

Sorry I can't give you shop recommendations though, try calling around? I find smaller shops are usually more helpful with that kind of stuff, I use 109 cycles but that's a bit far for you.

That's definitely a good idea! When I find a shop I'm going to inquire if they can do that for me. I appreciate it, thanks!

I've read on another forum that it's possible. This however, is something a little out of realm of comfort as I've never done it before. Do you know of any good mechanics or shops that I could go to? I'd rather the professionals dealt with it.
Pm frekeyguy. He really loves a challenge. I believe he loves working on bikes more than women

What about... getting the newer bolt from a new model, get a shop to cut yours off and tap the crankcase with the female threads of the new one. That way you have a replaceable filter bolt.....

If you're going to all that trouble you might as well have the spigot welded up and cut new stock threads.
As far as I can see, what ever you do, it will require the motor to be removed and completely dis-assembled.

Before I removed the motor I would run a die on what's left to see if it will help. DO NOT go at it with a file unless you are good with a file.

If you're going to all that trouble you might as well have the spigot welded up and cut new stock threads.
As far as I can see, what ever you do, it will require the motor to be removed and completely dis-assembled.

Before I removed the motor I would run a die on what's left to see if it will help. DO NOT go at it with a file unless you are good with a file.

Definitely not planning on going at it with a file. I have no experience with that and dont want to tamper with it unnecessarily.

Didn't know welding was an option but that definitely seems like a big job if the engine has to come off. Kind of silly that Suzuki built the bolt into the crankcase without an option to replace it. You'd think others would also have this issue.

Anyways thanks for the info! I appreciate it. If frekeyguy isn't available to work on the bike, did you know any other places/people I could try?

Definitely not planning on going at it with a file. I have no experience with that and dont want to tamper with it unnecessarily.

Didn't know welding was an option but that definitely seems like a big job if the engine has to come off. Kind of silly that Suzuki built the bolt into the crankcase without an option to replace it. You'd think others would also have this issue.

Anyways thanks for the info! I appreciate it. If frekeyguy isn't available to work on the bike, did you know any other places/people I could try?
Unfortunately there is no method invented yet to arc weld alloy metal with carbon mental. This steel insert is hot pressed at the factory. Could be removed using heat, then you need to get one or fabricate with Suzuki thread that is maid only for their filters. This vs used engine could be a marginal difference.

I haven't seen how that thread is installed into the case, I would suspect it is threaded it. The '05 GSXR 1000 is using the standard suzuki oil filter, If it is threaded - and you can find a case - we can extract the threaded portion and re-install into your motor.

But the MUCH simpler thing to do would be to chase the threads and clean them up.

QUESTION!!:
---------------
1. Is this bike new to you? (if not - see #2)
2. Who Changed it oil previously ?

EDIT: NVM, it might not be removable.

05 GSXR 1000
-----------------
Parts fiche suggests they are not replaceable....or they will not sell that as a replacement part.
05%20gsxr1000_zpsrqqjrni1.png

06 DL650
-------------
Parts Fiche suggests they can be changed.
dl650_zpssf6bldbt.png

Last edited:
the thread is M20X1.0, call around for a die nut. once you clean up the thread, try a relocator, this way you wont disturb those threads again.

Last edited:
Won't help in this case but Princess Auto has sales on metric tap / die sets occasionally. I just used mine and they were OK but they don't go that big. Thread chasing files are OK for brutish re-work of a damaged bolt but can butcher threads that need to seal.

Try Busy Bee for a re-threading die. If they don't have it you will have to go to an industrial tool supplier and pay more.

Back
Top Bottom