having a hard time deciding whether or not to ride... | GTAMotorcycle.com

having a hard time deciding whether or not to ride...

LoneRonin

I broke my wrist last July and was pretty much done for rest of the season. This summer I haven't been able to ride yet due to a suspended license, so I'm kinda rusty and coming off an injury.

It still hurts from time to time and I got checked out a week ago at the hospital. The doc will have to remove the two pins in my wrist, I go for my final consultation June 15 and we will book a surgery date. What really sucks is surgery will be after I get my license back and I won't be able to ride again for 3-4 weeks.

I've been thinking about doing some trackdays between then and now but am a little concerned if anything happens. Not that I'm planning on it but we never do. I'd hate to re-injure or damage my wrist any more, especially at this point when I'm almost fully healed. It doesn't really hurt much when riding, only a spasm here or there when the head of the pin touches a surrounding bone. I'm just more concerned about what damage could be done if I hurt it again with the hardware still in there. At the same time I just wanna ride...this is the longest I've gone without it.

Also I sold my track pants but I'm sure I could get by a trackday or two in my Dainese sport touring pants. They're all leather and have all the protection minus knee sliders. After such a long layoff I won't be looking to drag anything anyways...

Last edited:
Also I sold my track pants but I'm sure I could get by a trackday or two in my Dainese sport touring pants. They're all leather and have all the protection minus knee sliders. After such a long layoff I won't be looking to drag anything anyways...
As long as they have a full 360 degree zipper attachment to your jacket you should be good.

I have two metal rods in my leg and the doctor said if I ever bent them I'd be in for a world of hurt, and I still ride track :) Even crashed on the track and somehow came out without a scratch!

You didn't say what wrist it was? If it was your left wrist move the clutch to the right side and get a linked brake setup, should work great on the street, track, no idea.

Once you get back on the bike you'll completely forget about the thought of not riding again.

Last edited:
Its my left wrist. I can pull in the clutch no problem, just haven't been in the seat long enough to know how it is after 15-20 mins. I'm fine to ride right now, just don't have a license. Only thing that concerns me is potentially damaging anything right before getting the pins pulled. After that I'll heal up quick qnd all will be good.

Its just that not having ridden in over 6 months and no trackdays since 2013 I'm just so anxious, my other half is saying I've toughed it out so far, may as well for another couple months till I'm fully good to go.

Its just that not having ridden in over 6 months and no trackdays since 2013 I'm just so anxious, my other half is saying I've toughed it out so far, may as well for another couple months till I'm fully good to go.

I'd agree with your better half.

What's amazing out of this entire thread is that he has another half!

Only you know the answer to your question. I broke my thumb last year during round one, tried racing round two with it broken and it didn't worked out too well for me since I couldn't brake and had to retire, end up instead racing a 250 until I got better. The answer might be, ride track, but do it in green and at 70% of what you would normally do, that way there is a lot of room if you make a mistake. You might even get faster

Last edited:

I'm gonna side with this. Come back at 100%. The only thing worse than being almost healed, is getting re-injured and making it worse/never having it heal properly. Lessons I learned the hard way. Up to you, you're a grown *** man, you make your own decisions.

Be glad you didn't need to replace a tore off thumb with a big toe a la Randy Renfrow. The diminutive mofo made a racing comeback to boot, no pun intended:thumbup:

You will always be slow so don't worry! Hey at least at the track their wont be any creeks to run into lol
I'll be honest buddy if your already doubting and have that feeling and or worry in the back of your head, then that would be a sign to me not to even bother. 1, you won't even enjoy it since you will be worrying the whole time. And 2, if something were to happen, and you did cause more damage.... Well it could effect more then riding, like your job.... Late nights alone... Lol
Here I am saying this but I know how much you like riding, and I would probably not follow my own advice. If you do, get a damn good pair of gloves with wrist support.
So basically I was no help after looking over what I wrote. So therefore those are my pros and cons !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bumpy tracks will hurt more, maybe do a day or two up at Bogie and see how it goes?

Do it if you know you have enough self control to not go balls out or get competitive with friends.

Back
Top Bottom